REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Meow

Lowering my car payments advice needed.

Hey, so atm I have a 2011 Civic Se, with 0.9 interest rates for another 46 months, with a monthly payment of $400.
My problem is I want to go back to school, and I want to lower my monthly payments because I don't want to have to worry as much during school.
So I figured, if the value of my car and the remainder of my loan balances each other out and found a car for 19000, with the interest rate of 2.9% (Lowest I could find for used) and I put a 2000 down payment. I would have to pay roughly $350 for another 60 months. I did the math and that is about $23000 total. Meaning I'm paying an extra $4500 for this car, but because it would spread out to 60 months, I will be making a lower monthly payment.

Just wondering on some opinions?I know I also have to look on insurance prices for which ever car I find.
Advertisement
Araaadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I don't think it would make sense to pay an extra $4500 to lower your monthly payment by $50.

Best case scenario if you can't borrow money from family, sell your civic (let someone else resume financing) and get yourself a cheap beater.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Or sell the car and buy a cheap beater.

You don't need a car. Save your money in school.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Can you explain the financial logic in spending $20000+ for transportation when $5000 or less will do the same job and be cheaper to insure/maintain and has already depreciated. Especially when you are in school.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Can you explain the financial logic in spending $20000+ for transportation when $5000 or less will do the same job and be cheaper to insure/maintain and has already depreciated. Especially when you are in school.
becasue people are fucking morons with their life plans all wrong whose parents did not pound it into them to work hard, earn money AND THEN buy shit with the excess cash they have after covering living costs & saving some

unless you do it for tax purposes, leasing a car is a fucktard way of living - its admitting that you're living above your means - and living above your means in a civic is a pretty lame statement (i'd have more respect for someone who bought the $5K beater - and today $5K buys a pretty reliable, economical, and sometimes fun car - than someone who leased a civic)

the only solution is turf the civic, buy something used with CASH, preferably your cash, not your parents' cash - the return on capital of school shits all over the return (utility/enjoyment, w/e you want to call it) from a civic
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
i never understand why ppl get a brand new car (with no job - assuming) then decide to go to school. like use some sense!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

if you're that tight on money ($50/month seems significant to you), just sell the damn car and take transit.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
You're willing to consider spending an additional $4500 on a Civic to save $50 per month, but you just spent over $1000 on coilovers and wheels?

Strong financial planning skills.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
i never understand why ppl get a brand new car (with no job - assuming) then decide to go to school. like use some sense!
Never understood why people wont pay market price for a paint detail.

jk
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Never understood why people wont pay market price for a paint detail.

jk

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Meow

I am currently working for a courier company. I could be working full time and making around 50k a year but I don't want to get blinded by the money and not go to school. At the moment I am working part time, and the money is good enough for my car. I will still be working part time when I attend school, and the money will be fine, but it will be tight. I bought my self a new car because I didn't want to worry about parts going like I did in my first car. I spent around $3000 on a car I paid $3000 for maintenance and little parts here and there in around 1.5 years. I rather see my money go else where then to a car that will be worth $800 bucks after putting 6 grand into it. Everything I have I bought for my self. I enjoy my car, I don't regret my car. If you feel i'm a moron for buying a new car, then suck a nut. I was just looking for options on lowering payments.
Araaadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Hey, so atm I have a 2011 Civic Se, with 0.9 interest rates for another 46 months, with a monthly payment of $400.
My problem is I want to go back to school, and I want to lower my monthly payments because I don't want to have to worry as much during school.
So I figured, if the value of my car and the remainder of my loan balances each other out and found a car for 19000, with the interest rate of 2.9% (Lowest I could find for used) and I put a 2000 down payment. I would have to pay roughly $350 for another 60 months. I did the math and that is about $23000 total. Meaning I'm paying an extra $4500 for this car, but because it would spread out to 60 months, I will be making a lower monthly payment.

Just wondering on some opinions?I know I also have to look on insurance prices for which ever car I find.
No judgement on your lifestyle choice..(i don't agree with it, but who are we to judge)

Financially, long-term wise you are much better off keeping your current car. (0.9% is an awesome rate, you are basically close to zero interest)

It also sounds like you already have $2000 spare cash....instead of doing all these selling and buying and refinancing, why don't you just put that $2000 aside, and take $50 from that $2000 each month to cover your $400 monthly payment (thus reducing your monthly payment to $350/month)

You only have 46 months left on your current vehicle, that $2000 is already enough to cover 40 monthly payment! And you better hope 40 months later you will be out of school and $50 more per month won't mean jack shit to you
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote