REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
Question for those in accounting or do payroll

quick question on how overtime is calculated.

i understand the basics of overtime like everyone else.

but say we use a 40hr work week as an example.

someone works 4 days of their m-f, 8hr shifts

mon 8:30-5:00 8hrs regular worked, 0.5hr lunch
tues 8:30-6:00 8hrs regular worked, 1.0hr OT, 0.5hr lunch
wed didnt work
thurs 8:30-5:00 8hrs regular worked, 0.5hr lunch
fri 8:30-5:00 8hrs regular worked, 0.5hr lunch

this works out as 32.0hrs regular worked, 1.0hr OT but because they are listed as a casual staff, do i then just pay them 33.0hrs of regular work, or do i actually write that 32.0hr regular, 1.0hr ot?

thanx for the help. i guess the confusing part is the casual staff part. if they were listed as full time staff, the rules are different
Advertisement

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

This depends on a few things 1. do they get paid salary or hourly, and 2. are they on an averaging agreement of some sort?

Legally you have to if they're an hourly employee with no management duties, pay them the 1 hour over time.

In reality this depends hugely on your relationship with the staffer and their expectations and how exact you are about your hour keeping. For example: my guys if they run over don't mind being paid regular pay as I don't dock them when they're late on other days or they take a long lunch or what ever and it generally is assumed it kinda works out. But I'm in a small company where I have that sort of communication/relationship with the people I pay.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Everything depends on company policy (see Subway thread for example)

BC Labour Ministry take:
Overtime

Daily overtime pay is time-and-a-half after eight hours worked in a day and double time after 12 hours worked in a day.
Weekly overtime is time-and-a-half after 40 hours worked in a week. Only the first eight hours worked in a day count towards weekly overtime.
Factsheet: Hours of Work and Overtime
Averaging Agreements

An employer and an employee can agree to average scheduled work hours over a period of one, two, three, four weeks. Averaging agreements must be in writing, and have a start date and an end date. Overtime is payable:
  • After eight hours in a day if extra hours have been added to an employee’s schedule, or
  • If the employee works more than an average of 40 hours in a week over the averaging period (e.g., 80 hours over two weeks, 120 hours over three weeks.)
See: Averaging Agreements

source: Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, A Guide to B.C. Employment Standards

Most small business will just do straight time for anything less than 40hrs a week. the 41hour is OT at 1.5. Again - this is for most small business. Large corporations will do 1hr of OT IF the employee works 9hrs in a day, but still stays within the 40hr threshold within the week.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
thanx, just trying to grasp it.

i guess i should have added that its hourly.

the question is before they make the 40hr mark.

but i guess i will have to review company policy.

thanx

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote