REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Manners and Etiquette (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666707-manners-etiquette.html)

xmisstrinh 04-18-2012 02:10 PM

Manners and Etiquette

So I know its none of my business, especially in a public setting like Starbucks, but theres something about people that chew extremely loud, chew with their mouths open where I can see the food in their mouths, slurping their drinks, and shaking their legs that immensely bothers me.

I rarely see it in "white" restaurants, but when I'm at Asian places, it seems as if my neighboring tables, are, 80% of the time, doing all of the above that bother me. The part where I hear them chewing and slurping and seeing (sometimes feeling) them shake their legs just makes me lose my appetite.

I'm not entirely sure that this is just an issue with Asian people, but that type of display I see is almost always from Asian people. My dad is a country man out of Vietnam and he always shoots me the dirtiest glares when I stray from table manners and etiquette (I like to burp at the dinner table at home :P hehehe) and I always make sure that when I'm out I eat with manners and keep the noise from my mouth down.

So as I'm writing this, the C Lai next to me, is making the chewing of her bagel very audible.

Does it bother anyone else? Or is it just me?

unit 04-18-2012 02:19 PM

this shit bothers the fuck out of me when im NOT in an asian establishment.
when im in an asian restaurant, they can do whatever they want. slurping noodles, smacking lips, sipping soups, etc... thats all expected.
when they go to a white restaurant and do the same, THEN it fucking bothers me.
should learn to adapt to your environment a little.

xmisstrinh 04-18-2012 02:21 PM

I can accept it more at an Asian restaurant... but I'm at fuken STARBUCKS!!!! in Yaletown!!!!!!! lol *sigh*

LSF22 04-18-2012 02:40 PM

I'm a lil bit guilty of the leg shaking thing... but I usually cant help it.... its a bad habit that my moms been trying to get me to stop but its like my body feels so restless that I feel like I have to do it... :okay:

Matlock 04-18-2012 03:18 PM

Take a visit to China, where even the white people who assimilated themselves will pick their noses.

stewie 04-18-2012 03:23 PM

yes i find it repulsive.

doesnt matter whos doing it, certain things just turn me off and disgust me.

loud chewers, open mouth chewing, horking up a loogie and spitting it on the sidewalk, loud talkers...etc...

jesus christ, some people need to show some class..

tiger_handheld 04-18-2012 03:36 PM

give them the glare.

teh_poopsicle 04-18-2012 03:41 PM

Chinese table manners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

vafanculo 04-18-2012 04:05 PM

Lol I've only had dimsum once in 5 years because I hate seeing that shit (the manners, not the food)

miss_crayon 04-18-2012 04:36 PM

I think it's the way the person was brought up. If you aren't taught table manners, eating etiquette..."rude behaviour" kinda just goes on cycle after cycle. Although a lot of Asians do have this bad habit..I've seen other cultures that can be equally rude or having bad table manners.

My parents were taught at an early age table etiquette and "no shaking their legs" because it was seen as rude and "ugly." My mom's grandma was very into the British lifestyle with the way they dressed, culture etc and table manners are a big thing to them. There's a certain way to set your table...eat with your fork and knife..etc etc...and my parents were all taught this which thus led to them passing the info to myself and my brother.

For instance, you're suppose to cut your steak with your fork on your left, knife with your right....then put down your knife and eat with meat morsel with your right hand. NOrmally..you'd just cut and eat with your fork in your left hand. I still cut and eat but if I'm in a "fancier" restaurant then I'll do this.

I don't know if they still do, but there use to be "Etiquette" classes that you could take (outside of school). One of my gfs took this when she was a child and even though I feel I'm pretty trained....this girl takes politeness at the table to a whole new level.

Supafly 04-19-2012 10:04 AM

My family ( vietnamese/french) has a very strong etiquette teachings....used to get the death glare and the spoon to the knuckles if I didnt have table manners...

but heres a link some can read for " food for thought"

Etiquette | Etiquette Scholar

gdoh 04-19-2012 10:22 AM

I hate it when people chew with their mouth open and make that chomping sound, I agree with Crayon its the way you were brought up. I remember trying to pull this kind of stuff and getting scolded by my parents

twitchyzero 04-19-2012 10:52 AM

yep its all to do with the way you grew up including the cultural norms. As you probably know, in japan it's normal to be slurping your ramen noodles.

Growing up in an asian family i never learned my cutlery etiquitte...but i would get grilled for chewing loudly/not being able to hold the chopsticks 100% correctly.

Cereal Killer 04-19-2012 10:12 PM

I don't really mind people shaking their legs, as long as they're not making a lot of noise or shaking me haha, but I do get irritated by people who chew loudly. A guy was chewing gum with his mouth open at school one day and it irritated the hell outta me cuz it was constant *smack smack smack* :mad:

Obsideon 04-19-2012 11:36 PM

I am guilty of slurping my drink ... sometimes I just don't realize that I've already reached the bottom of the cup haha but then again I rarely drink anything from a straw these days... it's all beer, wine and scotches now.

I used to shake my legs when I was a kid but I was raised with my mom telling me that if I shake my legs all the time, all my money will be "shaken off" and I will be poor ... lol so I believed her and stopped doing it ...

In Japan it is considered a compliment to slurp your noodles to show appreciation to the chef that the noodle is delicious.

Most of you complaining in this thread would commit suicide in China haha... it's like that EVERYWHERE! It's fucking disgusting ... horking all over the place ... talking super loud, I didn't understand their dialect so most of the time I thought they were actually arguing but it turns out they are just asking their friend what the weather is tomorrow .... then putting their feet up on the chair while they shake their legs! I was in some stinky ass mall foodcourt and some old lady was eating chicken wings and tossing the bones on the floor, one almost rolled on my foot as I walked by ... the fuck?!

xmisstrinh 04-21-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 7893775)

Most of you complaining in this thread would commit suicide in China haha... it's like that EVERYWHERE! It's fucking disgusting ... horking all over the place ... talking super loud, I didn't understand their dialect so most of the time I thought they were actually arguing but it turns out they are just asking their friend what the weather is tomorrow .... then putting their feet up on the chair while they shake their legs! I was in some stinky ass mall foodcourt and some old lady was eating chicken wings and tossing the bones on the floor, one almost rolled on my foot as I walked by ... the fuck?!

oh i've been to china, vietnam, and its absolutely obscene but like someone else said, its really adapting to your environment. As "ugly" as i think it is to see people shaking their legs like mad while eating their meal and picking their noses anytime, anywhere in Asia, it just grosses me out more here, when you were taught since elementary school to not chew with your mouth open or pick your nose in front of lots of people... lol

Vansterdam 04-21-2012 01:52 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/profiles/icons...%20a%20sir.jpg

nns 04-21-2012 03:40 PM

I was in an elevator and this bastard next to me was eating a candy bar. Slop slop chiik slop lee-ak slop. I wanted to punch his face so badly. It was so annoying.

Gnomes 04-21-2012 04:47 PM

Annoys the hell out of me when I see people shaking their legs.

BrRsn 04-21-2012 07:13 PM

Loud talkers/people that stay at the library super late to just TALK to each other :fulloffuck:

RicePanda 04-23-2012 02:48 PM

Not only do my parents chew with their mouths open, they also talk while they chew. I had the habit of shaking my leg, but not something extremely noticable. Just tapping my foot, really. My mom always complained to me about it, but when she did I would bring up that if she managed to go through one dinner conversation without talking with her mouth full, I'd stop. Eventually I just stopped anyway. Mom and Dad still chew with mouth open/talk with mouth full. Meh. It's disturbing as fuck when I take them out for dinner at a pasta house or the Keg, but whatever, what am I going to do, trade parents?

JSALES 04-23-2012 11:12 PM

I hate it when people chew with their mouths open or make chewing noises, my nephew does it and sometimes I just wanna go across the dinner table and smack him in the face. It's annoying haha

Verdasco 04-24-2012 06:57 AM

:joy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7895137)

i can not stop laughing

Mr.HappySilp 04-24-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7891508)
this shit bothers the fuck out of me when im NOT in an asian establishment.
when im in an asian restaurant, they can do whatever they want. slurping noodles, smacking lips, sipping soups, etc... thats all expected.
when they go to a white restaurant and do the same, THEN it fucking bothers me.
should learn to adapt to your environment a little.

It dpends though in a Japanese noodle house the louder you slurp your noodles the more delicious it means and makes the cheif happy :fullofwin:

I haven't had much issue with this but I know my dad chew with his mouth open time to time so we have to tell him, then he stops.
What I do hate is people chewing and talking at the same time. It drive me nuts! I can't hear what they say and I don't want to look at what they are chewing at :moderatorban:

tool001 04-24-2012 01:40 PM

feel this is not only a issue with only asians any more. people in general lack manners these days. i make is a point of saying "ur welcome" if i hold door for someone and they dont ack., however i still open doors etc.

i guess its the 'no body care nowadays , why should i'