REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Pet insurance

does anyone here buy pet insurance for their pets? specifically im talking abt insurance for dogs. anyone have any companies to recommend to go with? i want to have my dog insured just IN CASE something does happen.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Pet insurance is expensive and has a lot of restrictions. You're better off putting $50/month into a tin (which is literally what we do, it says 'Pet Insurance' on it) if you have the willpower to do it.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Pet insurance is expensive and has a lot of restrictions. You're better off putting $50/month into a tin (which is literally what we do, it says 'Pet Insurance' on it) if you have the willpower to do it.
x2 on this, pet insurance kinda seems like a scam considering how much it costs for how much dogs actually get sick
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Unless you get a lemon like what we had, underbite, teeth pulled, knee surgery, degenerative discs.

But man did I love him, best friend I've ever had.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Even if you do, there's a cap on what most plans will pay out and it's less than you'll put into it over a couple of years.

If you do go into a plan you need to examine all their clauses VERY, VERY closely and do the math so you know exactly what they're going to cover and what they won't and find out from your vet what the costs of those things are compared to what your coverage is.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
not true, i have insurance for all my dogs.

i use trupanion and they cover almost everything, 90% of your bill.

even if you put 50 dollars a month into your tin. you wont save up enough to pay for little things like diarrhea, vomit and etc. as a night over at the vet will easily run you up to 600 bucks.

when my pup got parvo, i didnt have insurance for him Yet, the bill was 1750. man i wished i got it for him, as i was in the debate of keeping him or not at that time.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Then you have a great plan - not all of them are so good, you have to go through them very closely before picking a plan.

I'm curious what your monthly fee is with Trupanion?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^ i had a quote from trupanion for my french bulldog

i was like

almost $100 / month with a $500 deductable
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I have Trupanion for my small dog and pay $80 monthly, no deductible, covers 90% of vet bills excluding the office exam fee. My dog is 10 years old. She's very problematic, so I find it to be worth it for her. We had an emergency incident a few years ago where I paid almost $3000 from my pocket in just 2 days...wish I had bought it then! Actually, that's what prompted me to seriously look into pet insurance.

I've asked around at various vet clinics before and the one that always received the most praise was Trupanion. Apparently they are much easier to deal with than a lot of the other insurance companies.
babycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
trupanion seems to be a better choice... hmm... i was recommended trupanion and petsecure from my vet, but seems like trupanion covers more than persecure does
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycake View Post
I have Trupanion for my small dog and pay $80 monthly, no deductible, covers 90% of vet bills excluding the office exam fee. My dog is 10 years old. She's very problematic, so I find it to be worth it for her. We had an emergency incident a few years ago where I paid almost $3000 from my pocket in just 2 days...wish I had bought it then! Actually, that's what prompted me to seriously look into pet insurance.

I've asked around at various vet clinics before and the one that always received the most praise was Trupanion. Apparently they are much easier to deal with than a lot of the other insurance companies.
That is really good compared to a lot of plans.

That said, over 10 years at $80/month you would have put $9600 into your insurance if you'd gotten it when your dog was a puppy. Which is why I say, if you have the discipline to do it, self insuring is one of the better options. Just most people don't have the willpower to have several thousand dollars sitting around and not use it. I know there were times when I looked at the $3000 in the pet insurence fund and thought - I'd like to go to Mexico.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

TBH, i do believe trupanion is one of the best pet insurance providers since there aren't a lot of restrictions...but the premium reflects their service

but definitely look in the long run too...
if my dog lives to, lets say 12 years , i would have spend almost 15g's on pet insurance given my dog is healthy his whole life and that i did not make a single claim (@ $500 deductible / claim + the 10% that isnt covered by the insurance).

IMO i believe the Pet insurance tin works out a lot better,
I've had 3 dogs so far in my life.... my 2nd dog had insurance,

If only i could go back in time and start my 'Insurance Tin' and put in the amount I would have been charged by pet insurance starting with my first dog, I would have enough to cover all the vet expenses I've ever incurred, and enough for down payment on a 2nd condo by now

but then again that's my case.....might be different for other people with other dogs
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

PC now offers Pet Insurance
PC Insurance | Assurance PC
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote