REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RouRK View Post
The reason smart meters are stupid is PEAK HOUR BILLING.

ya ya its not going to be implemented as of right now, if the technology is in place for this to happen IT WILL HAPPEN.

no smart meters = no chance of peak hour billing.
take your pick, raise prices or implement peak hour billing you say... I will take the raised prices, and before you charge me more look inside to how your fucked up public company works.
nuff said FUCK THE SMART METERS.
Just buy a bunch of batteries and charge them on off peak hours.
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RouRK View Post
The reason smart meters are stupid is PEAK HOUR BILLING.

ya ya its not going to be implemented as of right now, if the technology is in place for this to happen IT WILL HAPPEN.

no smart meters = no chance of peak hour billing.
take your pick, raise prices or implement peak hour billing you say... I will take the raised prices, and before you charge me more look inside to how your fucked up public company works.
nuff said FUCK THE SMART METERS.
Yeah, peak hour billing is a bit of a money grab in BC.

In BC, where the majority of our power comes from hydroelectric dams the "fuel" (falling water) is practically free. The cost difference between running one generator at a dam versus ten is relatively small. And don't believe the whole "net importer" bullshit, we have TONS of spare capacity if we need it. Burrard Thermal is a 1GW station that basically goes completely unused.

Peak billing makes sense in the US where they have a lot of coal and gas, because their fuel is bloody expensive.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Of course the alternative to peak hour billing would be more expensive overall billing for everyong. Wouldn't that be awesome? That way, instead of adjusting your power consumption to save money, you just pay more!

And BC already has among the cheapest power in the world. They always will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreyjack604 View Post
This. People in this thread who think smart meters will save "us" money are idiots. You think they spent a billion dollars to save us money? No. They are going to rape us down the line.
Again, if you want to argue against the idea of peak billing, that is fine. I disagree, but at least you aren't making a complete idiot out of yourself with all the "radiation" speak and conspiracy theories.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Of course the alternative to peak hour billing would be more expensive overall billing for everyong. Wouldn't that be awesome? That way, instead of adjusting your power consumption to save money, you just pay more!

Like I said, there's not a whole lot of reason for power during "Peak" times to be significantly more expensive than "off peak" times here in BC.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

Again, if you want to argue against the idea of peak billing, that is fine. I disagree, but at least you aren't making a complete idiot out of yourself with all the "radiation" speak and conspiracy theories.
I hate dumb asses like you. I don't get how anybody can be considered an idiot when its a fact they emit radiation. People have a reason to be worried. When they implement peak hour billing I'm assuming they will go from only being on a few minutes a day to all day long?? You will be exposed to the waves all day long and they will be everywhere...

I don't know what these will do to our health in the future but honestly you're just a big of an idiot as you make the conspiracy theorists out to be because we're just now being exposed to these.

I remember when they used to say cell phones didn't cause brain cancer but now even the World Health Organization admits it ...Idiots like you probably would have had the same stance you do now.
surreyjack604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Like I said, there's not a whole lot of reason for power during "Peak" times to be significantly more expensive than "off peak" times here in BC.
Yup that probably explains why BC Hydro has never even said they are considering it. People are just dumb, and will come up with any bullshit reason to go against something... Which they have the right to do, but when they go against stupid shit like this, and not stuff that actually matters, my brain goes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
request to change thread into basic conspiracy thread
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Yup that probably explains why BC Hydro has never even said they are considering it. People are just dumb, and will come up with any bullshit reason to go against something... Which they have the right to do, but when they go against stupid shit like this, and not stuff that actually matters, my brain goes
Yeah, I'm don't hate on the smart meters themselves because they simply have the ability track peak billing.

If they ever did go to Peak billing I'd put my hate on Hydro itself, and the government for letting them do it.

Although I take Hydro's current denial about Peak billing with a bit of skepticism. I wouldn't trust them to not change their mind about something like that in the future.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I hate dumb asses like you. I don't get how anybody can be considered an idiot when its a fact they emit radiation. People have a reason to be worried. When they implement peak hour billing I'm assuming they will go from only being on a few minutes a day to all day long?? You will be exposed to the waves all day long and they will be everywhere...

I don't know what these will do to our health in the future but honestly you're just a big of an idiot as you make the conspiracy theorists out to be because we're just now being exposed to these.

I remember when they used to say cell phones didn't cause brain cancer but now even the World Health Organization admits it ...Idiots like you probably would have had the same stance you do now.
Even if they switch to peak billing hours, the meters wont be broadcasting all day. It will simply keep track as to what your power consumption between x and Y times are and will transmit that information when the meter maid drives by. And, really... a two minute broadcast isn't going to do anything to your body.

Do you own a cellphone? Wireless home phones? How about a wireless router? Do you live near any transmission towers? Do you use a microwave? Hell, do you gamble? There's RF trackers in high value chips. My point is there are far many more objects out there that either use RF, some type of wireless pulse, or are simply much more "dangerous" to a human on a much more continuous basis that to worry about smart meters is simply inane.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
^ lol didn't realize his name until you quoted him

surreyjack604
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
I remember when they used to say cell phones didn't cause brain cancer but now even the World Health Organization admits it

Not technically true.

WHO: Cell phone use can increase possible cancer risk - CNN.com

They found evidence of an increase in risk.. but the millions of cellphone users out there aren't finding tumours bulging out of their head.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Not technically true.

WHO: Cell phone use can increase possible cancer risk - CNN.com

They found evidence of an increase in risk.. but the millions of cellphone users out there aren't finding tumours bulging out of their head.
My point was that when cell phones first came out they said there was no risk.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #38
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
But in the 25 or so years that we've had cellular networks they've refined the technology to properly utilize it in things like smart meters.

Its not like the smart meters will operate on Cold War-era mobile phone technology.

They'll transmit for 10-30 seconds (approx) once a day on an advanced band.

Hell, watching your Pizza Pop spin in the microwave is probably worse for you.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #39
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
What about chem trails though guys!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Even if they switch to peak billing hours, the meters wont be broadcasting all day. It will simply keep track as to what your power consumption between x and Y times are and will transmit that information when the meter maid drives by. And, really... a two minute broadcast isn't going to do anything to your body.

Do you own a cellphone? Wireless home phones? How about a wireless router? Do you live near any transmission towers? Do you use a microwave? Hell, do you gamble? There's RF trackers in high value chips. My point is there are far many more objects out there that either use RF, some type of wireless pulse, or are simply much more "dangerous" to a human on a much more continuous basis that to worry about smart meters is simply inane.
You can add "do you live on earth" and "do you go outside" to the list of things that expose you to radiation.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #41

Quote:
No they didn't, they said they weren't sure, and most likely there wasn't. And now we know there wasn't.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #42
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Not sure if anyone's remembered, but the truly harmful type of radiation is ionizing radiation. Cellphones, smartmeters and other things of that sort emit non-ionizing radiation. It's true, the WHO has now added it to their list of "Stuff we may now think possibly could have some link to cancer in some way if we do a lot more research over several more decades", but it is still infinitely less powerful than...uh...sleeping next to your SO.

Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #43
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Because you have 3 illegal suites in your house?
LMFAO DAT SURREY JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yeah, peak hour billing is a bit of a money grab in BC.

In BC, where the majority of our power comes from hydroelectric dams the "fuel" (falling water) is practically free. The cost difference between running one generator at a dam versus ten is relatively small. And don't believe the whole "net importer" bullshit, we have TONS of spare capacity if we need it. Burrard Thermal is a 1GW station that basically goes completely unused.

Peak billing makes sense in the US where they have a lot of coal and gas, because their fuel is bloody expensive.
wait, i'm not understanding whats bad about peak hour billing..

i thought they only need to build as many dams/generators to produce the power needed during peak hours, so if people spread out their usage through the day, the peak will be less and less dams/generators needed, so that's a save on infrastructure, no?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
please do us all a favor and constantly keep your cell phone by your balls. k. thx.
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #46
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Doucher View Post
please do us all a favor and constantly keep your cell phone by your balls. k. thx.
irony of the joke is you probably keep your phone in your pocket
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #47
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Still no risk:
BBC News - Mobile phones: 'Still no evidence of harm to health'
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I could care less if there are any problems with smart meters or not. It's the fact that we never got the ability to chose. Next thing you know they will ban turbos because they use too much gas and are bad for the enviroment, and you wont get to vote on that either.

The fact that it cost them 1 billion dollars for the meters, yet it's supposed to save you more money in the long run is the greatest scam/sales pitch people are sold. I'll be damned if the cost of those meters arn't recouped, by gouging the customers but by that time it will be too late.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #49

Why the fucking fuck would you get to vote for or against using digital meters instead of analog?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #50
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If you don't want to feel like you are 'monitored' then cancel your electricity and generate it yourself. Otherwise, buy a wind turbine and make your own.

All these people feeling like 'big brother' is watching. Honestly, if you are not growing pot, then stop worrying. Its not like they are putting cameras up inside your house and watching you surf youporn...

Nobody complains about the internet company (telus/shaw) knowing what you are browsing.

People complaining about their energy consumption are probably going on facebook and revealing personal pictures and information blatantly. I thought our generation gave zero fucks when it came to privacy....
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: