REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Visualization techniques - anyone had success?

As much as I tend to dislike the way books such as 'The Secret' present things, I do tend to believe strongly that visualization can help make pathways in the brain that translate into success when you actually go and do that thing.

I was thinking specifically for sports, as there was a study done where 30 basketball players were instructed to practice shooting for a period of time, 30 were instructed NOT to practice and to just visualize shooting, and 30 were instructed to do neither.

Both of the first two test groups showed similar improvements when tested and compared with the third, even though only the first group was actually practicing shooting.

What I want to know is - have any of you have similar success in sports/life by visualization? Do you have a set method of doing it, or a technique?
Advertisement
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
Im sure I am not alone when I say I visualize before each set in lifting weights... Might be a mindset thing or whatever but it does help me personally.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Do you have a set method of doing it, or a technique?
As easy as it may sound all you have to do is visualize things, more practice, more visualization = goal accomplished

it's like building a house, you only start building when you finish thinking what it wants to look like, otherwise you're just going to be stacking bricks randomly and not knowing where you're going

kinda same mentality here if you catch my drift
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

I visualize when I push for new maxes to chase away self doubting thoughts in my head.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
anyone have any more insights into the mechanics of why it works or is effective?
I started reading a bit about neural-plasticity...
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Watching a documentary now..

it's talking about how when we perform an action certain neurons are stimulated

when we watch the activity or visualize it many of the same neurons fire again

so i think it's making that neuron pathway stronger through visualization, therefore increased performance levels
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote