REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Q7 vs. RR Sport vs. X5

I'm getting rid of one of my cars and getting a SUV. I've read the reviews, spent all today looking around at the 3 different SUV's I'm in the market for. I was wondering if any owners or anyone that has knowledge about the 3 could give me their personal inputs?

From what I observed at looking at all three, the Q7 is basically fully loaded with a the s-line package. I love the front grille and the LED lights, interior is very nice but the exterior is a bit blah.

The RR sport was also nice but the build quality wasn't as nice as the Q7. And the X5 is well an X5, you can't really go wrong with it but it seems like everyone is driving one.

Any inputs would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Jeep SRT 8?

Aspen?

Grand Cherokee?

Escalade?

Suburban?

Excursion?

If you want an SUV, go American. Or a Mercedes G class. I'm surprised I didn't see a fucking Land Rover in there (I'm talking about the horrible new ones).

Edit: There's also the QX56. But it seems like you love service departments at the dealer...
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^don't listen to this tool, he's a troll or a dumb ass. I think he's a bit of both.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
The newly redesigned ML are great cars the ML550 runs really good with the new engine
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
^don't listen to this tool, he's a troll or a dumb ass. I think he's a bit of both.
?

What's wrong with the above?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
?

What's wrong with the above?
What gave you the impression someone considering a Q7, RR or X5, aside from perhaps the Escalade, would be interested in any of the vehicles you listed?

It's like recommending someone considering a CL63 AMG look at a Camaro. They may be distant cousins, but they aren't really comparable.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Only one I have experience with is the Q7.

If I were in the market for an SUV it would be one I would consider for sure. Depending on what you value in a vehicle will really change what type of advice I would give you. I go for comfort and road noise. I liked it because it was nice and quiet and felt like I was driving on a sponge. I can't comment on it's off-road capability, but I'm sure if you wanted off-road you would probably want to lean towards the RR Sport. I'm not a fan of the rear seats (the 6th & 7th seats). I can't imagine toting around six other people. If there are that many I would just rather take two vehicles and have everyone comfortable. The vehicle really masks road feel, for better or worse. I actually like how it feels, some others will want more of a responsive feel.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

I also think you guys need help reading what the OP was asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
...I was wondering if any owners or anyone that has knowledge about the 3 could give me their personal inputs?...
He wasn't asking which american cousin to these would be a good substitute.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
don't get the range rover sport, if your dishing out that kind of cash, then get the range rover HSE, way better. the Q7 and X5 are full size, better comparison with the HSE

imo range rover is better then all other SUV's
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
What gave you the impression someone considering a Q7, RR or X5, aside from perhaps the Escalade, would be interested in any of the vehicles you listed?

It's like recommending someone considering a CL63 AMG look at a Camaro. They may be distant cousins, but they aren't really comparable.
First of all, who would pick the CL?

Second of all, there's nothing wrong with a Jeep SRT8.

He asked for an SUV. I listed actual SUV's.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
don't get the range rover sport, if your dishing out that kind of cash, then get the range rover HSE, way better. the Q7 and X5 are full size, better comparison with the HSE

imo range rover is better then all other SUV's

Better at what? Showing others that you have a small penis?

Then again, this forum is heavily consisted of Asians.

Edit: If you must, at least stay away from the British. Out of those two, I'd go for the Audi, people won't really think you're a douche behind that BMW badge.

Last edited by Over9K; 04-28-2012 at 09:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

From what I've driven, the Q7 and the X5, I think the X5 has more comfort to it compared to the Q7.. which is just personal preference. However, a friend said he has problems with his Q7 (dont know specifics).
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #13

I've heard that the Q7 rides nice, I didn't get a chance to test drive it because the dealer was closing but I'm going back on Monday for a test drive. I'm also looking at the A7, if I decide to go with a sedan, because it's priced close to the Q7.

On a side note, I've never encountered more arrogant shits at both Land Rover dealerships. It actually turned me off because both Audi and BMW dealers were much more friendly.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
I think I read the Q7 had some brake pad wear issues. But I could be wrong. Make sure you check out the Audi forums about that before you decide anything.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
I've heard that the Q7 rides nice, I didn't get a chance to test drive it because the dealer was closing but I'm going back on Monday for a test drive. I'm also looking at the A7, if I decide to go with a sedan, because it's priced close to the Q7.

On a side note, I've never encountered more arrogant shits at both Land Rover dealerships. It actually turned me off because both Audi and BMW dealers were much more friendly.
I have been looking at Sedans, and the A7 and A6 are very similar but I did like the hatch on the A7.

What's odd about your side note is that I experienced the opposite. I was greeted warmly by one rep and the others acknowledged me with a headnod and whatnot. I got ignored and brushed aside at the BMW dealership I went to, and the Audi dealership I was at the guy I was talking to promptly left me when someone better dressed came in, haha. Maybe it was what I was wearing or how I was carrying msyelf. I was wearing just blue jeans and a polo shirt.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
i drove my boss' Q7 4.2 s line around in the summer and oh my god that car was a blast. As soon as you step inside you automatically feel bause. Fuel economy was terrible, i remember when i floored you could actually see the needle go down lol but fuel economy shouldnt be a big concern if your considering a SUV anyway.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #17

Well my A5 has run into issues so I will be doing some research on the Q7 and funny thing is my salesperson told me today that he'll take my 2010 A5 in end of the year one year before my lease is up and upgrade me to the 2013 model. I should take a look at the A6, the A6 has always been the forgotten Audi because you don't see too many on the road and the sales people never mention it.

Lol, I was wearing trackpants and I haven't shaved for a few days so maybe that's why I wasn't taken serious haha.

Yup, the interior of the Q7 is amazing and black on black with the s-line package is so gangster but stunning at the same time. The diesel version is suppose to get better gas mileage; I think it's around a 1000km's on a single tank.

Black on black with s-line;
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Better at what? Showing others that you have a small penis?

Then again, this forum is heavily consisted of Asians.

Edit: If you must, at least stay away from the British. Out of those two, I'd go for the Audi, people won't really think you're a douche behind that BMW badge.
I'm sorry, but are you assuming I have a small penis and Asian because I drive a range rover? Stay away from the British? The new range rovers use a ford engine because they are very strong and realiable motors for both naturally aspirated and forced induction. The crafstmanship and attention to detail for both interior and exterior is really quite something. I suppose it's about personal opinion.

My range only needs to be serviced 1 time a year. It's surprisingly good on gas and features are amazing. I guess when it comes to customer service experience it all depends on who you deal with. Either way OP I was simply saying that since you are looking at 2 cars that are full size then a full size range range rover would be a better comparison.

Either way, go to each dealership test drive the vehicles you are interested in, ask every single question about them, features, servicing cost, options, pricing, and to see what is covered by warranty and how many km is the warranty covered for.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #19

The diesel will give better mileage and I'm assuming its not a huge concern but price of diesel is really high especially if you're in the lower Mainland. Here in Calgary I think it's between 40-50 cents cheaper per liter. I would test drive both if I were you, let us know how the diesel feels.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I think I read the Q7 had some brake pad wear issues. But I could be wrong. Make sure you check out the Audi forums about that before you decide anything.
They wear through brake pads front + rear every 25K more or less, but that's probably because the amount of meat on the pad NEW is a lot less than a normal pad of any other audi car. or that its a heavy beast of a car.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #21
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
This is all just what I heard.. I have very little experience with Audis.

A coworker of mine usually goes for BMW or Benz. But he really liked the Q7, so he went ahead and picked one up.. he traded it for an X5 within a year.
Oil burning and a "jumpy" transmission is what he complained about.
Apparently the new Audis are the worst out of the German bunch, and he said he won't be getting another Audi, ever.

It's a shame, really. The new A4 is on my to-test-drive list for my next car.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
This is all just what I heard.. I have very little experience with Audis.

A coworker of mine usually goes for BMW or Benz. But he really liked the Q7, so he went ahead and picked one up.. he traded it for an X5 within a year.
Oil burning and a "jumpy" transmission is what he complained about.
Apparently the new Audis are the worst out of the German bunch, and he said he won't be getting another Audi, ever.

It's a shame, really. The new A4 is on my to-test-drive list for my next car.
I've had massive issues with oil burning with my A5. I have to top up every 2 months, it's absolutely ridiculous. From what I've read and what I've been told, the issue seems to be with the turbo engines.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #23

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Jah Dean,

Don't let your issues with the A5 discourage you from looking into another Audi. For some reason, the B8 2.0T cars have had known oil consumption issues (even though that is common problem for turbo cars.) They did issue a TSB (warranty recall) for this issue and with a firm foot, I've seen many people have the issue resolved.

Again, I had my B6 1.8T for about 6 years without any problems. I'm not rocking a 2011 3.2L without a turbo, and again (knock on wood) smooth as butter. Like I said, my 2011 3.2L is so smooth, I urge anyone who feels that these new cars are no longer German quality to take a ride in mine so I can show you how well-built these cars actually are.

Q7 I believe still comes in a 3.0L and a 4.2L in non-diesel applications. The only thing that I can think of that you may have to be careful about is that it is an FSI engine and that can lead to carbon build-up. My car is also FSI and with the 3.2L being a larger engine, it really needs to make sure it gets worked out every now and then so you can keep the carbon burning away. Many people have installed oil catch-cans to prevent future problems and have had great success.

Dollar for dollar, I feel your're getting a lot more in the Q7 than you would be in the X5. I do love the X5 interior/exterior design; however, drive quality and features, the Q7 takes the cake. This time, I urge you to do some research on Audizine to find out what people are having issues with so you know what to look out for.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #24

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
Have you considered the Base Cayenne? Ive sat in a pretty "optioned" Base Cayenne for about a good 45min drive to Harrison, and my GOD was it comfortable (I assume its just a re-badged Q7, since both are owned by VW)

I cant comment on comparison since I rarely get a chance to sit in a X5, ML or the RR you mentioned... But I think you should at least go to the Porsche just to try one out!

I am not sure what your budget is... but the owner said his Cayenne was just below 77000 "drive away price, so that was with tax and everything" which considering the 56000 msrp -.- ya... but honestly it was one of the best shotgun Ive sat it for the past 2 years...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:

If you want an SUV, go American. Or a Mercedes G class. I'm surprised I didn't see a fucking Land Rover in there (I'm talking about the horrible new ones).

Edit: There's also the QX56. But it seems like you love service departments at the dealer...
The only american worth getting was the Hummer H1.

Now, back to the OP, I think all 3 models are due for a refresh/update in a year time. I'd look something else.