REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations

Hey guys, I just want some help with choosing a mechanical keyboard.

Budget: $100-150 all in
Looking for something with Cherry MX Reds/Browns/Maybe Blacks
It'll have to be pretty small, a normal sized keyboard should work but I think the Corsair K90 may be a little on the big side for me. It's still a consideration though.

I'm working with an Everglide DKTboard right now, it's alright but the keypresses don't feel too smooth and the keys are pretty heavy. How are MX Blacks compared to the stiffer rubber domes?
Advertisement

Last edited by LuHua; 02-14-2017 at 09:19 PM.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I had WASD and liked it very much until I moved into a smaller place and wife can't stand the noise.

Someone at work has a DAS (not sure about the model) and it felt very comfortable when I typed on it. The feedback was just right.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

CM Storm QuickFire Pro - Cooler Master

used one before, highly recommended.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
NSX
NA1

^^ I got the Metadot DAS keyboard. Solid Keyboard.
Also have the Razer Blackwidow. Heavier keys than the DAS but i like it a bit more than the DAS
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'm using the blackwidow right now. Its a bit noisy, but I soon got to love the sound it makes .

However if you're looking for black switches, the Steelseries 6Gv2 is pretty good.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Ah, thanks guys. I ended up getting one of these: Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Blue Backlit Mechanical Keyboard

I pretty much got free shipping on it, and it has full backlighting so hope it works out.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I'm also looking for a mechanical keyboard and I've narrowed down and there are 3 that I'm looking at:

CoolerMaster Quickfire Pro (already mentioned)
Steelseries 6v2
Steelseries 7

From past Steelseries products that I've used, it seems like their products are of high quality. I've read a few reviews on each of these and the lack of a numpad on the QuickfirePro is slightly a turn-off. I'm still quite unsure on which of these I should get - could I have some opinions please?
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

^^ I think the coolermaster comes in all 4 switches...
So that a plus..

I had the steelseries the builds is very durable..
But then, I didnt like the black switches cause they were too stiff..
So I went for the reds instead.

Depend on what switches you want!!

*Edit*
Rosewill Cherry Red is on sale for $80 at newegg if anyone interested...

Last edited by bobola; 04-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
bobola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #9

Just a quick curious question for those who are looking into getting a mechanical keyboard.
1) What is your usage for the keyboards?
2) Are you just sick of the normal membrane because they don't feel as solid?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
Just a quick curious question for those who are looking into getting a mechanical keyboard.
1) What is your usage for the keyboards?
2) Are you just sick of the normal membrane because they don't feel as solid?
1: Typing with some gaming; I'm in university so when it comes down to lab reports or research and papers I'd like something easy to type with.
2: Not sick of them but with the ones I have right now I can't type fast with them, it takes a bit of effort. One has a long keystroke, and the other one has stiff keys (gaming keyboard). Best one in my possession right now imo is the one on my XPS 1530 laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
I'm also looking for a mechanical keyboard and I've narrowed down and there are 3 that I'm looking at:

Steelseries 6v2
Steelseries 7

From past Steelseries products that I've used, it seems like their products are of btwhigh quality. I've read a few reviews on each of these and the lack of a numpad on the QuickfirePro is slightly a turn-off. I'm still quite unsure on which of these I should get - could I have some opinions please?
btw the QuickFire Pro is not tenkeyless, it has the full numpad
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70281&...e=COOLERMASTER
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...uickFire%20Pro
The one at NCIX uses MX browns, and if you want the non-tactile MX reds then there's the Corsair K60 too.

Last edited by LuHua; 04-30-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #11

^
Once you go mechanical, you won't want to go back... trust me. I'm using a mechanical at home, and when I use the school lab computers, they feel so dull. Also, the feel is so different haha.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbaddie View Post
^
Once you go mechanical, you won't want to go back... trust me. I'm using a mechanical at home, and when I use the school lab computers, they feel so dull. Also, the feel is so different haha.
This.

For those of you who are in here wondering about what switches to get, you really have to go in store (or a friends) and try them out. It's all personal preference/typing style.

For me personally- I tried blacks first. They were sort of stiff, but I could roll off keys easily as I didn't have to bottom out to get back up (I'm a lazy typer). I went to try blues, and they're easier to depress than blacks imo, but boy are they loud. That said, I LOVE the feedback (tactile mostly), since you know for sure when you hit a key. People say blues are a lot like the IBM M keyboards, but to me the IBMs were better (the blues were softer, if that makes sense). Reds are just softer blacks, so I was bottoming out all the time which I didn't like.

I haven't tried browns, but according to my logic above, they should be my favorite. That said, I'll probably pick one up for work in the future, as my Ergo4000 is driving me nuts.

My usage? maybe 20% gaming, and the rest is short typing bursts (IMs, surfing). I'd imagine if you game A LOT, I'd go with Blacks/Reds.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #13

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Best keyboard is Cherry Red's (Steelseries 6GV2, Das Keyboard ULTIMATE, Corsair K90)

I personally use the Steelseries 6Gv2, its basic and I don't ever use any functions, so I don't bother with something as flashy as the K90.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for the first time, how much louder are they in general compared to a regular keyboard?

Last edited by Purely; 05-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
^^^ i cant imagine them being louder than typewriters (if you've never experienced a real typewriter then fuck you :P)

and most these mechanical keyboards offer sound dampening gaskets for an extra price it would seem

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-01-2012 at 06:06 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
Looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for the first time, how much louder are they in general compared to a regular keyboard?
Unless you get blue switches, most of them aren't that much louder. It's also personal preference.. at first when i first got my mechanical keyboard (blue switches) i HATED the noise. But now, I wouldn't use anything other than it
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
I STILL don't get it

I'd probably compare blues to pen clicking, the others are pretty quiet if you can avoid bottoming out, you can also put in dampening rings/rubber washers to ease off the noise. Only the first 2 mm of travel is needed anyways.

Well, quieter than a pen actually...but I didn't like the blackwidow too much when I tried it because of it.

Last edited by LuHua; 05-02-2012 at 06:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #18

Quote:
If you're a lazy typer like me, blacks can be REALLY quiet. Since the actuation point is about midway (you don't have to bottom out), you can really roll off keys for fast typing. The downside is that you don't have feedback, so you will probably have tons of errors.

Pen-clicking is a good comparison to blues. Browns (from what I've seen on youtube) are quite a bit quieter, but still have that nice click. I'm waiting for more options locally, as buying on Amazon (say, for a Filco) is actually more expensive than buying here.

On a side note- How are people saying "switch x is better"? It's really personal preference..
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post

Steelseries 6v2
Steelseries 7

From past Steelseries products that I've used, it seems like their products are of high quality. I've read a few reviews on each of these and the lack of a numpad on the QuickfirePro is slightly a turn-off. I'm still quite unsure on which of these I should get - could I have some opinions please?
I've had a 7G for 3 years or so now. Love it. The oversized wristrest is ridiculously comfortable (although you'll need a large desk). Quality as you mentioned is absolutely top notch. I bought it primarily for gaming although I love it all around. It did take a few days to get used to the single backspace from years of using double backspaced keyboards. I don't notice it at all anymore. I do love being able to plug my mouse (Steelseries Ikari - also love it) into the keyboard as it's one less cable I have to run from the tower.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
There are these "O rings" mod where you put small rubber o rings inside the keycap...

It just soften the noise when the keycap bottoms out.. which you will be doing with black/reds....
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
ddr
Snapping away

so how does the feeling differ between a blk/red + o-ring and a brown?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr View Post
so how does the feeling differ between a blk/red + o-ring and a brown?
browns have a defined "click" that you can feel. black/reds do not.

I think the o-rings are meant to dampen any sound coming from bottoming out black/red switched keyboards. Feel-wise, the browns would give you more feedback. Sound wise I'm not sure, as I've never used the O-rings.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

^ that,

Is just bascially under the keycap... so you can use it with any switch..
Personally I dont like it cause it gives a mushy feeling when you press it hard..
It does soften most of the sound.!
The o ring also comes in different stiffness.. and I only used the softest one.. dont know about the others..!

But then if you master using brown/blue key, you wont be bottoming out anyways

Here pics of what it looks like :

Black key no o ring.. Red key with o ring
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
I STILL don't get it

Well, it came in. Very nice build quality, feels study and weighs in at around 3 lb or so. MX browns, semi-custom backlighting, built in usb hub and mic/headphone jacks, full NKRO over USB. What more can I ask for? haha

Durability and reliability remains to be seen, but as bigbaddie said I don't think I'll ever want to go back. Typing with this is a pleasure and it's not all that loud. Will have to get used to the keyboard dimensions though, my old one was pretty compact.

Sorry for this shit picture quality, couldn't find my dslr.
Spoiler!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #25

What brand is that? MaxKeyboard? Sorry I couldn't really read from the photo

Did you buy it locally? How much? That looks pretty cool, and looks like it has all the features I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Well, it came in. Very nice build quality, feels study and weighs in at around 3 lb or so. MX browns, semi-custom backlighting, built in usb hub and mic/headphone jacks, full NKRO over USB. What more can I ask for? haha

Durability and reliability remains to be seen, but as bigbaddie said I don't think I'll ever want to go back. Typing with this is a pleasure and it's not all that loud. Will have to get used to the keyboard dimensions though, my old one was pretty compact.

Sorry for this shit picture quality, couldn't find my dslr.
Spoiler!