REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Courtesy Car Accident

Hey guys I'm quite desperate for an answer for this situation I'm in. Long story short...I really screwed up and dented the side of the rear right door on a courtesy car. Paint doesn't seem to be too serious but the dent isn't exactly small. I stupidly did it on a huge pole in a parkade so it's just me and the pole. Anyways what I want to know is what happens now. Some questions off the top of my head are will they/can they charge me for the repair? And if they do decide to charge me am I allowed to bring it to another body shop that offers a cheaper rate for the repair? Note the courtesy car is from an auto body repair shop so obviously they are able to do the job themselves. Or are any of you very familiar with these types of insurance policies and can give me some inputs or suggestions?

And ya guys I ain't putting the blame on anyone else but me... I've never had any damage to my own car and the first time things like this happen is on a courtesy car...so I really don't know who to turn to except you guys. I did a quick search on google but can't seem to find an answer and certainly not within ICBC's policies.

Any input will be much appreciated!!
Advertisement
Tomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
I don't get it

from past experience with courtesy cars is your insurance policy goes on the to car. Most likely you will pay a deductible to fix the car through icbc or you might be able to pay the auto body shop and they will let it go. Talk to the body shop and see what end result will be.
VBP EP3 *sold*
Eros250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

pay detuctable or pay cash for it...
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
if you just pay your deductible and not for the damage costs your insurance will go up if you go through icbc, your better off to pay for the full repair cost for the damage through the bodyshop.. See if they will do it without talking to ICBC
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

If possible get the car fixed before returning it to the shop OR talk to the shop that loaned you the car and pay them to fix it.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #6

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
If possible get the car fixed before returning it to the shop
Negative.

Be honest, and talk to the original Body Shop regarding your accident and see what your options are from there. Don't try to get a shitty and shaddy shop to help you fix / hide the damage for labour at $20/hour and return the car thinking you'll get away with it. You're borrowing a courtesy car from an auto repair shop afterall...they can spot these damages and difference 10x better than you.

Do you have RoadStar on your insurance? Claims on your rental vehicle policy will not affect your claim-rated scale discount. So aka you can pay the "$300 deductible" and walk away without any further expense. Your next year's insurance rate will NOT go up, due to this accident with the courtesy car.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Negative.

Be honest, and talk to the original Body Shop regarding your accident and see what your options are from there. Don't try to get a shitty and shaddy shop to help you fix / hide the damage for labour at $20/hour and return the car thinking you'll get away with it. You're borrowing a courtesy car from an auto repair shop afterall...they can spot these damages and difference 10x better than you.

Do you have RoadStar on your insurance? Claims on your rental vehicle policy will not affect your claim-rated scale discount. So aka you can pay the "$300 deductible" and walk away without any further expense. Your next year's insurance rate will NOT go up, due to this accident with the courtesy car.
Negative. A courtesy car is not a rental car.

As I understand it, a courtesy car, or ICBC's term is probably a "temporary" replacement vehicle, would be covered under the owner's policy. The owner's policy will transfer to the temporary replacement car for activities such as repairs or service.

Also, being at -43% doesn't mean the OP purchased the RoadStar package, or Roadside Plus package.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Am I the only one that finds this hilarious?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #9

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Negative. A courtesy car is not a rental car.

As I understand it, a courtesy car, or ICBC's term is probably a "temporary" replacement vehicle, would be covered under the owner's policy. The owner's policy will transfer to the temporary replacement car for activities such as repairs or service.
That would have to depend on OP's case then. For example, OpenRoad AutoBody use their in house Hertz to do all their "courtesy/rentals". Many smaller repair shop outsource to rental companies to provide customers with a car too. But again...there will also be some repair shop that have their own vehicles, and provide "courtesy cars" that is "temporary replacement" as you mentioned. It will really vary depending on OP's repair body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Am I the only one that finds this hilarious?
Yeah, you're the only one. Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. Doesn't matter if its your own car, a courtesy car, a rental car, or George Bush's car. OP admitted to have stupidly dented the car's door and posted here to ask a legit question, while you....
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Not just any courtesy car, an auto body courtesy car! The ironing is delicious.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
The ironing is delicious.
WTFLOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Not just any courtesy car, an auto body courtesy car! The ironing is delicious.
this is what ironing is
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

O RLY THANKS GUIZE
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
At least one person here has been on the Internet before and is older then 12.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
retired

What makes you think the body shop who loaned you the car will allow you to bring it to another shop to repair?

Just be honest and straight forward with the shop. If they are a reputable shop, they aren't going to screw you over because you had an accident. Just ask them how much it will cost for repairs. If the amount is out of your reach, then you can make a claim on it.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Negative.

Um... there is nothing wrong with getting the car properly fixed, its JUST A DENT. I did not say use touch up paint or use a shady shop. You assume WAY too much.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Thanks guys for the replies seems like I have to pay regardless (deductibles or out of my own pocket to fix it myself). Chances of them letting me off isn't high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
What makes you think the body shop who loaned you the car will allow you to bring it to another shop to repair?

Just be honest and straight forward with the shop. If they are a reputable shop, they aren't going to screw you over because you had an accident. Just ask them how much it will cost for repairs. If the amount is out of your reach, then you can make a claim on it.

And are you sure they won't allow me to take it to another body shop? I mean I can't insist this? I'm not saying the original body shop will rip me off but in case they DO come up with some absurd number I'm not allowed to take it to a cheaper (but doesn't mean shady) place to get it done?

Last edited by Tomu; 04-29-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: quoting
Tomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #21

^you can bring it wherever you want, as long as it it FIXED, nobody will care. Truenosan is just inputting his own value and decision-making system on you because he thinks its somehow dishonest and wrong. The car's are LOANERS (not a luxury car) like a basic model corolla. Tons of customers scratch/dent it up all the time. Sometimes they don't even care to fix it and just charge the customer money and then fix it all at once. But in this case since its a dent they will have to fix it. You will have to pay regardless so if you have a hookup that can do a decent job, why not? I'd rather just get it fixed before I return it so the shop won't lose any down time with not being able to loan it to out to other customers and charge you extra for the inconvenience.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
I'd rather just get it fixed before I return it so the shop won't lose any down time with not being able to loan it to out to other customers and charge you extra for the inconvenience.
Then you'll require another courtesy car.

This shiet happens all the time...they'll work something out with you because they want your business again.
Just be honest when you return the car...they should be charging you close to cost.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
retired

Quote:
^you can bring it wherever you want, as long as it it FIXED, nobody will care. Truenosan is just inputting his own value and decision-making system on you because he thinks its somehow dishonest and wrong. The car's are LOANERS (not a luxury car) like a basic model corolla. Tons of customers scratch/dent it up all the time. Sometimes they don't even care to fix it and just charge the customer money and then fix it all at once. But in this case since its a dent they will have to fix it. You will have to pay regardless so if you have a hookup that can do a decent job, why not? I'd rather just get it fixed before I return it so the shop won't lose any down time with not being able to loan it to out to other customers and charge you extra for the inconvenience.

I'm just basing this on what actually has happened to me. I'm not saying the shop is dishonest and will charge an arm and a leg. Just let the shop know what happened. If someone got into an accident, and just decided to get it fixed without me knowing, I'd be quite upset as I would figure out when I check the car back in. I've had many customers damage my courtesy cars, and it really isn't a big deal.

Like I mentioned earlier, providing the shop you went to are good guys and all, I'm sure they would work something out with you.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
I'm just basing this on what actually has happened to me. I'm not saying the shop is dishonest and will charge an arm and a leg. Just let the shop know what happened. If someone got into an accident, and just decided to get it fixed without me knowing, I'd be quite upset as I would figure out when I check the car back in. I've had many customers damage my courtesy cars, and it really isn't a big deal.

Like I mentioned earlier, providing the shop you went to are good guys and all, I'm sure they would work something out with you.
Fair enough. I just wanted to give this guy some options because it seems like he's concerned he'll be paying out the ass. Its not a complicated fix to begin with which is why I was suggesting its OK since they are loaners that are beat on to begin with. Most loaners I have received in the past had some previous damage to it.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Then you'll require another courtesy car.

This shiet happens all the time...they'll work something out with you because they want your business again.
Just be honest when you return the car...they should be charging you close to cost.
Courtesy car for smackin' up the courtesy car... ha ha ha!!

Pure win.