REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Floss stuck between teeth (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667346-floss-stuck-between-teeth.html)

jACEDesignsLtd 04-30-2012 07:22 PM

Floss stuck between teeth

Ok, I had this happen to me while using that stringy floss. The floss broke apart and as I used more floss to get it out, it broke and bunched up more floss. Pretty soon, I had a ball of floss painfully wedged between my teeth. Flossed and flossed and my fingers just hurt and my gums bled. Googled it and there was techniques like:

-use waxed floss
-go see a dentist
-use those floss picks
-use toothpicks
-tie a knot on your floss
-use two pieces of floss at the same time

The last one was the BEST advice, but it still broke!

SO I used three pieces of floss at the same time and that ROPE of a floss went between my teeth.

YESSSSSSSS

FN-2199 04-30-2012 07:27 PM

:fuckthatshit: :fuckthatshit:

First of all, LOL. Have you tried using satin floss? I've never had satin floss break apart. Alternatively, I can only think of using a water pick.

If its bearable, maybe duke it out until it softens up enough to floss out again? (or get stuck back at step one hahahahah)

twitchyzero 04-30-2012 08:03 PM

i recommend waxed floss such as oral-b glide or gum eez-thru
nylon ones are only good if you have large contacts...otherwise they fray too easily

mb_ 04-30-2012 08:08 PM

Funny how I was flossing when I saw this thread.. really sorry for this but - :lawl:

What twitchyzero said though, I had a nylon floss break on me as well but luckily they were long enough to pull out and didn't get stuck like yours did LOL

jACEDesignsLtd 04-30-2012 09:14 PM

lol

This was the first time it happened to me. Normally, it's fine. But by chance, the floss bunched up and problems started.

Dental floss stuck between teeth? - Yahoo! Answers
Please Help! Floss stuck between my teeth! - Dental Health Message Board - HealthBoards
floss stuck between 2 crowns - Health Forum - GardenWeb

1mcoupe 04-30-2012 09:49 PM

Two pieces of sewing thread, twined together.

Spectre_Cdn 04-30-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 7905179)
Funny how I was flossing when I saw this thread.. really sorry for this but - :lawl:

me too :haha:

I've been using GUM/Johnson & Johnson waxed floss since whenever, and I've never had it break between my teeth.

yukikaze203 04-30-2012 11:47 PM

that's some muscle you got there lol
i didn't even know you can break floss by flossing :derp:

I also use GUM floss and they never break on me. Maybe you can pull less on the string (less tension) and slowly wedge it in to see if that helps?

FN-2199 05-01-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukikaze203 (Post 7905450)
that's some muscle you got there lol
i didn't even know you can break floss by flossing :derp:

I also use GUM floss and they never break on me. Maybe you can pull less on the string (less tension) and slowly wedge it in to see if that helps?

It doesn't quite so much break, as floss tends to thread apart when you're flossing in between tightly gapped teeth. It sucks when it happens

BrRsn 05-01-2012 12:07 AM

his teeth are too manly.

Get kevlar reinforced floss yo.

Gumby 05-01-2012 08:36 AM

I swear by Johnson & Johnson/Reach waxed floss. My teeth are pretty crowded and this floss never gets stuck. Packaging looks like this:
http://amaxsupply.com/shop/images/ReachWaxedMint.jpg

On the other hand, GUM-branded floss often gets stuck in my teeth.

So what brand of floss were you using, jACE?

Girl 05-02-2012 02:35 PM

They say if it gets stuck it means you're not flossing regularly, build up of plaque. Should be okay after a week of consistent flossing. But it's the dentist that said it, report back once you've test the theory out :D

twitchyzero 05-02-2012 02:57 PM

^ it could be a number of things
the most common are fillings and crowns with bad margins

hirevtuner 05-02-2012 07:27 PM

you need to get some floss threaders
http://www.mountnittany.org/assets/i...mes/132253.jpg

sleepywheel 05-02-2012 10:22 PM

hirevtuner has the best method that works for me. I often break the floss between the same two teeth and little strands are left hanging there. Now I use the floss threader to get the floss between the teeth and then pull down on both ends to get it out and nothing is left behind.

It's surprising how just a little bit of floss left behind can put uncomfortable pressure on the teeth.

m3thods 05-03-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl (Post 7907007)
They say if it gets stuck it means you're not flossing regularly, build up of plaque. Should be okay after a week of consistent flossing. But it's the dentist that said it, report back once you've test the theory out :D

Actually, if the buildup of plaque becomes hardened after long periods of not flossing, no amount of flossing will remove it. That's why we go to dentists for scaling.

Flossing is really just to remove debris and disturb the biofilm between teeth and beneath the gum line (to an extent). By disturbing the biofilm, you increase the time it takes to harden (become plaque/tartar). Even after flossing everyday, there will always be plaque to remove via scaling (especially subgingival).

A benefit to flossing more often is the reduction of gum inflammation. Speaking from personal experience (not me though), people don't realize how bad gum inflammation gets until they pop into the dentist after a while and are told that their recession is enough to warrant a gum graft. 2 family members have gotten this, and it's a bitch to deal with while you're healing.

Youtube gum graft, and I guarantee you'll try your best to floss everyday. :fullofwin:

sleepywheel 05-03-2012 01:41 PM

^I've talked to my dentist about my problem the last two times I was there for cleaning, which is every 6 months. She doesn't or can't do anything about it. Funny thing is that sometimes there's enough clearance to floss with no problems and other times I have to pull really hard to get it out. Maybe I have floating teeth...............