REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

DSLR Noobie Thread?

Hey

I am looking to get a DSLR camera for my upcoming backpacking trip, and know very little about the different attributes/features that DSLR cameras provide.

Are there any good helpme/noobie threads that can explain these cameras, and maybe compare popular models and their features?

Thanks
Advertisement
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
The sticky above is a good read. A lot of people are in your position, and reading the last few pages there's a good selection of questions and suggestions. Unfortunately, photography is one of those things where you really learn by doing. Just look up photography basics (exposure triangle) if you're not familiar with it, as pretty much all dslrs have the same features/controls.

Firstly, figure out what kind of dslr you want (you didn't mention budget, which is why I say that).

If you want a budget camera, think Nikon D3100/5100, or Canon T3/T2i/T3i.

A prosumer camera? Think Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D/7D

Want a pro camera? There are cameras of interest coming out in the near future (D700/D800, 5dm2/3)

There really isn't much to it- however, one thing you should think about is whether this is a one-off deal for you, or are you thinking you are serious about taking up photography.

If it's the prior, I suggest going to Craigslist and looking for deals there. There are a ton of people who "take up photography" only to sell their camera once they realize they don't use it.

If it's the latter, I'd suggest going the Craigslist route for a used body, and invest more money in better lenses. They are where picture quality is noticeably improved.

Lastly, if you're backpacking, I'd really look into an EVIL camera- micro 4/3ds like a Panasonic GF2/3, or an APS-C sensor compact like the Sony NEX. You get comparable image quality to a dslr, at a fraction of the size and cost.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Got MOD?

+1 for an EVIL type of camera. Portability + Handles like a point and shoot but with way better image quality.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yeah, lugging around a DSLR is a bit of a pain at times. If you're backpacking, it could be a serious hassle. I would even consider buying a canon S95 or S100. They have really great image quality but with a really small form factor.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
If you want a small travel camera, I'd suggest looking into a Fuji x10 or the Sony Nex7

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
+1 for micro 4/3rds for traveling light. They're just as capable if you have the right lenses and great for street photography. People are much less apprehensive around them compared to a giant pro body behemoth, especially the Fuji that looks like a film camera.

I backpacked through Europe with a small sling bag of camera equipment in addition to a backpack. If I had to do it again, I'd still bring my 5D but probably pack lighter. You don't need as much as you think.

If you decide to go the m4/3rds route, I think a ~20mm (most are 17mm?...most are also f1.7 or f1.8) is essential. That will be your everyday lens since it's mostly normal focal length and the bright aperture will give you enough versatility for all situations. If you really want to pack light, I'd say that's the lens to bring if you can only bring one. I had a Panasonic GF1 (I think that's the model number) for awhile for testing and loved it. When I sell my 1D MkII, I'll go buy a 4/3rds camera to play around with. I saw the GF1 body on Amazon.com for $150 awhile back.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
I'm getting tired of taking my 5d2 + 24LII travelling.. but then i'm also tired of editing too lol

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
...in the world.

Solution: give me your 24L. Do it now. Before it's too late.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
I'm getting tired of taking my 5d2 + 24LII travelling.. but then i'm also tired of editing too lol
lol the editing is what kills me too- I don't mind bringing around my 50D, but for some reason when I come back to my hotel/home base I come back with a couple of full 8GB CF cards

but if you are parting out.. I wouldn't mind upgrading to ff
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
...in the world.

it's part of the job, you pansies...quit yer belly achin'!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
shoot jpeg then
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
IMHO, unless you absolute NEED to, don't carry a DSLR on a long backpacking trip.

I would either get a good point and shoot with full manual override (aperture/shutter priority, manual) or EVIL at most.

My poor friend carried his D700+14-28/70-200 VRII/35F1.4 on his recent Europe backpacking trip. He missed so many places because his back just couldn't take anymore walking. Ended up buying a P&S half way and asked his one of his friend (who was only doing halfway because of work schedule) to bring his set back to Canada.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
it's part of the job, you pansies...quit yer belly achin'!
As much as I'm complaining (really only because amount of work), I enjoy editing as much as taking photos. I just need to figure out how to automate the process more for the tedious edits

From my own experience:

I brought my 50D with all my lenses (17-85, 70-300, 50) and all accessories to the Philippines. Even with rides in cars/airplanes, it was not worth the hassle. I strongly suggest getting less while backpacking. It also helps to enjoy your trip more if you're carrying less- you worry less about theft, AND your back will thank you.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
IMHO, unless you absolute NEED to, don't carry a DSLR on a long backpacking trip.

I would either get a good point and shoot with full manual override (aperture/shutter priority, manual) or EVIL at most.

My poor friend carried his D700+14-28/70-200 VRII/35F1.4 on his recent Europe backpacking trip. He missed so many places because his back just couldn't take anymore walking. Ended up buying a P&S half way and asked his one of his friend (who was only doing halfway because of work schedule) to bring his set back to Canada.
Most recently I lugged all my camera gear through Puerto Rico. I climbed a mountain in Japan wearing a 1D Mk II and 3 lenses. Weaklings! I can't wait to travel with my 5D, though...it's like half the weight.

I wouldn't go full point and shoot. I feel like even with a Canon S100 or a Panasonic LX5 or something I wouldn't have the things I need. Micro 4/3rds with a pancake. Seriously.