REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

American Express Worth Getting?

Its good to have Visa and Mastercards

What about American Express?

Having another credit company helps future loan?

Any advantages having Amex?
Advertisement
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
low exchange rate fee compared to VISA/MC on US$ transaction.

ie. $5 charge from Fred Meyer in Bellingham
Visa - 6.03
Amex - 5.77 (or 5.48 - i can't remember)

this is what I have noticed and I buy a lot of stuff from states.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Free Costco membership if you get the Costco one
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Free Costco membership if you get the Costco one
Free costco Membership for life? or just the first year that you signed up?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

For as long as you have your card.
American Express - Canada - The TrueEarnings Card

The benefits are pretty weak. I never use my AMEX card unless at Costco as they only accept AMEX.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
For as long as you have your card.
American Express - Canada - The TrueEarnings Card

The benefits are pretty weak. I never use my AMEX card unless at Costco as they only accept AMEX.

No you dont, I have the Executive Costco Membership Along with the Costco Amex...you dont get free membership...its $110/ year for executive...membership expires each year
You just get the Amex card for signing up for Costco executive...membership is a separate deal

They catch you by telling you the membership is 'free' when infact what they really mean is.... "use our card....and if u use it enough...youll earn enough in cash rebates that it will pay itself off"
...over the year, ive only earned about $24 bucks in rebates while using this card to make purchases at costco and the other few retailers that accept amex.......nowhere near paying itself off....

Oh yeah..the rebates are only redeemable at Costco IIRC, so your shit out of luck if u decide not to continue your costco membership the following year

Last edited by 604nguyen; 05-04-2012 at 05:04 PM.
604nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

Hmm, yeah you're right....that would explain why I only got back $40 rebate, ha ha. Sorry OP.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
low exchange rate fee compared to VISA/MC on US$ transaction.

ie. $5 charge from Fred Meyer in Bellingham
Visa - 6.03
Amex - 5.77 (or 5.48 - i can't remember)

this is what I have noticed and I buy a lot of stuff from states.
are you sure? they all just use bank rate + their fee rate, doesn't seem right to use a 20% exchange rate

i only have amex to go with my costco card (my amex is my costco card) - otherwise i'd have to pay cash or debit, and i don't want to do that

amex are great for corporate cards (gold ones) - but then again, any gold card will give you hte benefits (additional travel insurance etc)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
That's what i've observed. Feel free to test it out

I've tested at Fred Meyer and Walmart in bellingham.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
Oh yeah..the rebates are only redeemable at Costco IIRC, so your shit out of luck if u decide not to continue your costco membership the following year
While this is true, you can redeem it for cash instead if you prefer. Just another option.

I use mine for restaurants, gas (~$200/ month), and Costco. Biggest rebate I've ever received was $22

If you do your shopping there every week, you can easily rack up hundreds. But that's assuming you're buying for a business or for a family of 10
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #11

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Amex fees too high and rewards too low IMO.. and then there is a lot of places that do not take Amex since they command a very high vendor fee.

If you did a lot of travelling, the Amex Platinum or Centurion is nice because of the free access to airport lounges around the world... but at 500/2500 yearly fee's.. you need to make sure it's worth it.

Travel reward wise, there is IMO better cards out there, CapitalOne Aspire World MC, TDFirst Class Travel Visa Infinite Card (You can get some crazy deals with this one when you book with TD travel).. and they don't command outrageous fess and are accepted everywhere.

Amex is good for Costco, baller status (If you have a Centurion card), airport lounges, and being able to extend your credit "limit" with a simple phone call at any time. (Within reason).
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Like others have said Amex is only accepted at Costco, that's if you're a member already
My wife has the Holt Renfrew Amex (it's pink btw), you get 1% back in Holt points also purchase protection, travel protection and doubles manufacturers warranty..all this and no fees. Not bad considering we got enough points for a new pair of jeans from holt
Vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts

This card is quite a beast in person, pretty heavy and solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #14

^it's made of metal

always wondered how well that thing would stay magnetized, and sure enough, talking to one of my customers he says the magnetic strip does get messed up from time to time and he had to get his replaced pretty soon

oh well... still badass though
Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post

This card is quite a beast in person, pretty heavy and solid.
Also a waste of money.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I have the costco one just because it comes free with the membership. ive gathered $24 of rebate since january. I dont think it will come to paying itself off. hahaha
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
I have the costco one just because it comes free with the membership. ive gathered $24 of rebate since january. I dont think it will come to paying itself off. hahaha
My parents used to have one Amex with Costco Membership, but they had to pay annual fee of $50 toward renewing costco membership? are you saying there is a free membership amex card now?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

its not "free"........
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I have the AmEx airmiles card, but frankly the only reason I got it is to pay for Costco. I have carrying cash around, and debit has a 0 rebate ratio.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Also a waste of money.
It's actually quite a good card considering the benefits it offers. Miles ahead from our regular cards.

Things like premium membership at several airlines and hotel chains. And a free companion air ticket when you book it through the dedicate line. (I think benefits vary country to country, but this was the case from my parents, and it was good for them as they always travel together)

The magazine that comes with it is also pretty entertaining/informative to read.

But then again, there are other cards out there with similar benefits while cost much lower than the Centurion. My families actually switched to another card offered by their wealth management bank and it had similar benefits. I think they opted out of Centurion after that.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #21
Got MOD?

This is how mine is. I have the airmiles Amex. No fees. I use that in conjunction with my executive Costco card. My last rebate was $145 and in addition I earn airmiles on all purchases using the Amex. It's a winner for me.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Need my Daily Fix of RS

After thinking about what I would want in a credit card (Currently using the RBC Visa Infinite Avion and MBNA platinum plus.) I decided to go with the american express gold rewards card. Its classified as a Hybrid Card with annual Fee, and rated pretty high ( 15000 welcome points and 1st year annual fee waived promo going on.) I like Amex's Front of the Line perks. Word of caution though for anybody considering the card, There is No Pre-Set Spending Limit ( meaning they don't give you a credit limit) and this card needs to have the balance paid off completely every month. So other words... You got to be really responsible or this card will get you in trouble quick.
Here is a good link on top travel rewards credit cards
Pat Foran reveals the top travel rewards credit cards | CTV News
Old 06-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
After thinking about what I would want in a credit card (Currently using the RBC Visa Infinite Avion and MBNA platinum plus.) I decided to go with the american express gold rewards card. Its classified as a Hybrid Card with annual Fee, and rated pretty high ( 15000 welcome points and 1st year annual fee waived promo going on.) I like Amex's Front of the Line perks. Word of caution though for anybody considering the card, There is No Pre-Set Spending Limit ( meaning they don't give you a credit limit) and this card needs to have the balance paid off completely every month. So other words... You got to be really responsible or this card will get you in trouble quick.
Here is a good link on top travel rewards credit cards
Pat Foran reveals the top travel rewards credit cards | CTV News
While its true that there is not pre set limit however that doesn't mean that they will let you buy 1Million Dollars of a house with it.

They can decline your transaction if they think you dont have the ability to pay for it given by your income.

But if you are making 6 figure income, then of course, they will let high amount of transaction go through, otherwise they will just decline it.

Here is the read I found
American Express Cards DO Have Spending Limits
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I have the Amex business platinum charge card, comes in handy when I need to make high priced purchases. Other perk, like already mentioned, is the airport lounges.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Any recos on what credit card to get for purchasing in the states?
SkippyLang is offline   Reply With Quote