REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Cleaning cast iron (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667598-cleaning-cast-iron.html)

ddr 05-06-2012 11:18 AM

Cleaning cast iron

So I just got a Le Creuset 10.25" enameled cast iron skillet and was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience in cleaning it. From searching on forums, the safest bet is baking soda or bon ami (powder?) cleanser. I own a raw iron wok and re-season it with oil if i use soap and a metal scrubber on it. I'm sure you're not supposed to on a cast iron skillet lol. I've only used a paper towel + oil to try to scrub out any left-over food particle but it's not very efficient.

TIA

_TiDy_ 05-06-2012 10:25 PM

i usually use some coarse salt as a scrubbing agent then wipe off

supafamous 05-31-2012 08:02 PM

Kosher salt and some elbow grease.

Don't touch it with anything else.

Culverin 05-31-2012 10:44 PM

Usually, while it's still hot, I'll put some coarse salt in there and scrub away.
It usually comes right off.

If you want to wipe it down, you can use hot water (no soap). Dry it and give it a bit of oil.

yuusha 06-01-2012 02:00 AM

It's enamel, I thought that you only scrub down regular cast iron pans with salt, and if you do that to an enamel cast iron pan you'll wear down the enamel coating faster. I mean it's enamel, it will be damn tough but it's not like regular porous cast iron, right? You could probably just clean it with warm water and soap.

Don't scrub it with metal scrubbers or you'll REALLY wear out the enamel.

Great68 06-01-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuusha (Post 7934423)
It's enamel, I thought that you only scrub down regular cast iron pans with salt, and if you do that to an enamel cast iron pan you'll wear down the enamel coating faster. I mean it's enamel, it will be damn tough but it's not like regular porous cast iron, right? You could probably just clean it with warm water and soap.

Don't scrub it with metal scrubbers or you'll REALLY wear out the enamel.

Exactly, soap is no problem for enamel coating.

That being said, I use soap on my raw cast iron pan. I just dry & apply a film of oil immediately, never let it soak in the sink. It's seasoned perfectly. Did a couple of tenderloins in it last weekend because my bbq ran out of propane, and they came out perfect seared with no sticking.

Slif 06-03-2012 09:04 AM

Treat your Le Creuset like any other dish. Dish soapand warm water. DO NOT scrub with anything! You will f!ck up the enamel. Also do not use metal utensils in it - plastic, silicon or wood only.

godwin 06-04-2012 02:51 AM

If your enamel is screwed up, you can ship the pot back to Le Creuset and they will replace it for you for free.. I have had a 30 year old set replaced with new ones.

ddr 06-04-2012 10:00 PM

thanks for all the replies.

i don't use anything tough on the cast iron, i usually scrub it using an oily paper towel and if that doesnt work i'll wash it with soap and water and re-season it again.

i thought the enamel is the glazed colorful portion of the pan ...

Culverin 06-05-2012 01:07 AM

There are 2 types of enemaled cast iron i'm familiar with.

The first would be like a classic le crueset dutch oven.
enamel on both the outside and inside.
cast iron construction means it's perfect for searing meats still, but they stick a bit. However, this is great for braising. Sear a lamb shank, then add veg, red wine etc, etc... slow cook for hours.
I use this for braising.
I wash this like all my other pots and pans.

The other type would be just enamel on the outside. The inside is the exposed cast iron. I guess it makes the outside easier to clean? My friend have these.
I would treat this the same as fully exposed cast iron. Scrub out with coarse salt, wash with hot water if absolutely necessary. Keep oiled.