REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #176
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I bought the Milwaukee set from kms which came with a cordless drill, 3/8 impact, and flashlight (all running on the 18v) and the battery life is great. I noticed those things charge really fast. Twenty minutes and I'm almost fully charged up so it's a big plus. The flashlight from Milwaukee is not shock proof at all so be careful.. Even a small drop and the bulb is done. I've gone through four bulbs in the past year and I just stopped giving a damn about it
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #177
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Awesome, thanks. Any idea if there will be any major sales for tools in the next little while? It's going to be a Christmas gift so there's no rush to get one, yet.
Keep an eye out for Rona's % off sale and take it to HD; they'll take the same discount off their prices as well! I did this a couple of weeks ago (15% off) at HD Richmond.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #178
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Sounds like I just got unlucky with my batteries then. But after Googling my problem it doesn't seem like there were many others with dead batteries. I'm not the type to leave my tools in the rain or constantly dropping it either.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #179
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
I have a 5 piece Mikita set; hands down the best I've used. Don't like the feel of Milwaukee or Dewalt in comparison. Mikita is lightweight, and at Summit you can buy individual tools without batteries, they have all kinds ie cordless grinder, recip saw etc.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #180
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
^ it's called "tool only" (pretty original term) and every manufacturer does this.

Anyway, who can't use more batteries? As for contractor bags - good idea. I can't stand them blow molded or hard cases for tools. It's like showing up to school with a fricken lunch box, LOL. Real kids wouldn't be caught dead with one of those, no matter how cool the picture is on the lid.

Right up there with murses or a dude carrying a coin purse. So girly.......... maybe that's why real men are so rare these days. Hee hee.

I like my Milwaukee and Ridgid tools...... nice feel and have good weight to them. Not dainty like a Makita..... j/k.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #181

For the guys that don't use drills too often, this Ryobi is a good price from HD for Black Friday. $49
Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #182
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
For the guys that don't use drills too often, this Ryobi is a good price from HD for Black Friday. $49
My co-worker got one of the seven-tool Ryobi kits a few years ago, and loves it. He uses it quite a bit at work and at home, and while it generally doesn't keep up with my Milwaukee and Ridgid stuff, he got a GREAT price on it... it originally came with the ONE+ NiCad batteries, but the cool thing is, he can also use all the newer Lithium batteries in the ONE+ system (and save the NiCads for things like the radio)... and Ryobi has a HUGE line-up of tools that use the same battery, definitely more selection than any one of the other major brands (Makita, DeWalt, Ridgid, Milwaukee). They also have the only six-slot battery charger I've seen.

If you're just looking for something to use around the house for smaller projects, there's nothing wrong with getting in the Ryobi ONE+ system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #183
2 Wheelin' Mod

+1 to the ryobi system have the drill and impact driver both work great and the battery has never died on me while doing a job
Posted via RS Mobile
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #184
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Thanks everyone for their thoughts. Ended up picking this set from HD. For the light occasional use it'll get, it was $174 and the lifetime guarantee won out in the end.

RIDGID | 18V Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo with Radio | Home Depot Canada
Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #185
2 Wheelin' Mod

I heard some where that the life time warrarnty is only on the batteries that came with the tools. Not sure if this is 100% true
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #186
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
I heard some where that the life time warrarnty is only on the batteries that came with the tools. Not sure if this is 100% true
Posted via RS Mobile
Nope, copied from their site:

What is Covered? (applies to the 3-Year Limited Warranty, the Lifetime Service Agreement, and the Recon Limited Warranty)

The 3 Year Limited Warranty, The Recon Limited Warranty and the Lifetime Service Agreement covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools. This includes normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand hand held and stationary power tools. These programs also cover replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools. This service coverage does not apply to other ineligible RIDGIDŽ Brand products.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #187
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Everything in that rigid kit has a lifetime warranty but the radio. I know this because I own the exact same kit.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #188

I'm quite liking all my Ridgid tools, but there are a couple things I regret about getting into this system, like...

The big jobsite radio seems to be the ONLY one (at least among the brands that HD carries) that DOESN'T also function as a charger... all the others can charge batteries when they're plugged in.

They don't have a battery powered vacuum... my buddy has the dustbuster AND cannister vac for his Ryobi set, and the cannister has plenty of juice to suck a string through a conduit, and for basic jobsite cleanup.

They don't sell any of the multi-tool power units without the multi-tool head. I got the 12V unit and the 18V unit; they also make AC-powered and air-powered drive units, and every one of them is ONLY available with the multi-tool head (meaning I have two of those now). I also have all the other attachments that fit these (even the nailer head, which was on for $12)... I'd like to grab the air version, but I don't need yet another fucking multi-tool.

Like I say, that's the one big plus to the Ryobi system: they have the widest variety of tools by far in their ONE+ lineup, and the fact that you can use NiCad and Lithium batteries interchangeably means you can keep some low-cost batteries around for those low-draw uses (flashlights, radios, etc.) while keeping the good ones charged for the bigger jobs.
Quote:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #189
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,048 Times in 551 Posts
Hey guys, sorry about the bump of a old thread. I am a total noob at drills, but my business has task me to find a

Cordless Hammer drill with a HEPA Vacuum Attachment as it will be used inside hospitals.
It is going in to concrete and we would require batteries that can drill holes for 80 picture frames at 4 holes per frame.

I am looking @
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/15-1...s-motor/842331

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, if there is any sales going on right now, that would be cool!

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #190
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Makita actually makes decent hammer drills and that's the first time I've heard of that kind of application

Check out Hilti as well, way more $$$ but worth it IMO
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #191
2 Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
Hey guys, sorry about the bump of a old thread. I am a total noob at drills, but my business has task me to find a

Cordless Hammer drill with a HEPA Vacuum Attachment as it will be used inside hospitals.
It is going in to concrete and we would require batteries that can drill holes for 80 picture frames at 4 holes per frame.

I am looking @
Makita | 15/16 inch Cordless Rotary Hammer with Brushless Motor | Home Depot Canada

Thanks in advance!

You might have better luck posting at The Garage Journal
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #192
LYC
I don't get it

Do you really need a cordless hammer drill? They usually lack in power compared to a corded version and they tend to burn out really quick. I would recommend a Hilti hammer drill if you can afford it. Other wise the Bosch Bulldog Hammer drill is a cheaper alternative. I'm a local contractor and I use the Hilti one all the time.

Cant really help you with the vacuum attachment though. The only thing I can suggest is getting another guy to hold a shop vac hose up right near the drill bit. It should suck up a majority of the dust.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #193
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Oh cordless? :S yea I dunno about that didn't even see that
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post

I am looking @
Makita | 15/16 inch Cordless Rotary Hammer with Brushless Motor | Home Depot Canada

Thanks in advance!

Home Depot's tool sale starts this tomorrow, great deals to be had!

From RFD:

In-store coupon gives instant discount.

SPEND________________SAVE

$149 - $299_____________$25
$300 - $599_____________$50
$600 - $999_____________$125
$1000 - $1499___________$200
$1500+_________________$300

Good on single or combined purchase of:

portable power tools
compressors
bench & stationary tools
wet/dry vacs
air tools
generators
heated jackets

So for the drill in your link, you would save $125 + tax!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #195
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,048 Times in 551 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated.

The cordless is a requirement by the hospital as they said that wires are a tripping hazard. and the Vacuum must be a Hepa Vac... sigh, blame the facilities engineer at Royal Columbia Hospital.

I mean i understand his concerns, but shit son lol.... if this wasn't like a 60,000+ contract for all hospitals in the lower mainland, my boss would probably say fuck it lol

I will look into the sale tmrw... and keep you guys posted what I end up getting. I dunno if there is a way around the "tripping" hazard.... because you guys are right, corded ones are stronger and cheaper...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #196

I've never seen a hammer drill with a vac attachment, but I did build a custom vac pickup for drilling into drywall... similar design would probably work for you. I know there are units out there on the market, basically a shroud with the vac port, that you run the bit through.

HEPA vac is easy, just pick up any cannister vac and put a HEPA filter in it - HD has them for their RIDGID vacs.

But the others are right, cordless won't be nearly as efficient - best bet is to look at something like the DeWalt 24V or Milwaukee 28V stuff, or the HILTI (they make cordless tools as well). Definitely get something with an SDS chuck, as that goes a LOT faster than the standard "chatter" action on smaller drills.

Something like this, maybe: Milwaukee | M28 Cordless Compact 1" SDS Rotary Hammer | Home Depot Canada

Of course, that Makita you linked to look pretty skookum too... what size holes are you drilling for these pictures?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #197
2 Wheelin' Mod

Here are 2 other options the milwaukee is 12 volts and the dewalt is 36 volts

12-Volt Hammervac Universal Dust Extractor Kit | Milwaukee Tool
This 1 is universal and will fit on any drill at least according to the video in the link

Dewalt DC233KLDH 36V Cordless NANO Li-Ion 1 in. SDS Rotary Hammer Kit and Dust Extraction System with HEPA Filter

EDIT:
From the Garagejournal forum

I have a DeWalt DC233 36V rotary hammer for which I recently picked up a D25302DH HEPA dust extractor that fits on board. It's a nice setup which works quite well. It's available as a complete kit these days (DC233KLDH), but not cheap. Milwaukee just came up with an M12 powered add-on for any rotary hammer they call the 2306-22 M12 Hammervac. This also fits completely onboard an existing corded or cordless rotary hammer. Like anything safety and HEPA, it's not cheap either. There are also fittings to install the extractor head into various hammers and these connect to a separate vacuum, but now you have a hose and separate vac to contend with.

I recommend the DeWalt setup, if you can handle the price. If you already have a cordless rotary hammer, get the Milwaukee.

Last edited by Jas29; 12-04-2013 at 09:55 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #198
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hi guys, bumping an old thread as my cordless set from the early 90's has finally called it quits. (They dont make the batteries anymore)

I need something for around the house use and am wondering if Ryobi is still the popular choice? Being Father's Day weekend there are many sales and brands to choose from.
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #199
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
Hi guys, bumping an old thread as my cordless set from the early 90's has finally called it quits. (They dont make the batteries anymore)

I need something for around the house use and am wondering if Ryobi is still the popular choice? Being Father's Day weekend there are many sales and brands to choose from.
Ryobi is the way to go. Tons of tools that use the same battery. They also have many tools other companies don't offer. The best part is they always go on sale.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #200
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
should update. I bought a ryobi drill & driver combo from when this thread was created and still going strong. got it on combo sale at home depot for $80 + tax.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: