REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Dermatillomania (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668264-dermatillomania.html)

Razor Ramon HG 05-20-2012 01:58 AM

Dermatillomania

Anyone have experiences with this?

Ever since I could remember, I've been peeling the skin off my fingers. Just wondering if any person on RS has had the same experiences and what they've done about the problem.

I do it subconsciously all the time since it's such a normal thing for me, but I think I should start to do something about it.

twitchyzero 05-20-2012 06:34 PM

sounds likes a parafunctional habit and they are usually really hard to break.

when I told the dermatologist about my scratching problem she said it's more of a psychology thing than anything. Granted it's nothing close to dermatillomania I won't be surprised if it's a similar compulsive trait

Perhaps try and keep your hands busy? Like when they tell kids to keep their hands occupied when the are still sucking on their thumbs in grade school.

Razor Ramon HG 05-21-2012 12:30 AM

Yeah, I've been trying to, but it's difficult.

I was reading up on the condition, and I think I have a slight case of Body dysmorphic disorder. Usually when I peel my fingers it's because there's an open blister (no matter how big or small), or there's loose skin somewhere on them. You know what I mean; that loose skin under the nails, the cuticles, etc.

Although it might not bother 99% of the population, to me, it's nerve-wracking and I feel the need to peel my fingers to get rid of it. Then it kind of just becomes a rolling snowball as I keep peeling until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-21-2012 04:36 AM

you're not the only one.

i used to do it as a kid a lot.

i find i only pick when there's something to pick at. if it's all smooth and perfect the way "it should be" then i don't pick.

for fingers i found a trick. get some "nail" scissors and whatever other tools you need. clip everything off nicely so you're "satisfied" for that moment.
then wear a band aid around your finger for a few days.

you wont be able to get at it. and after a few days it should be healed, or re apply a new band aid if the old one gets gross (after showers). you'll eventually stop doing it.

its definitely psychological. but you can change it. it just takes some times and some cognitive reprogramming. start with the band aids.

Meowjin 05-22-2012 11:22 AM

Impulse control disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Razor Ramon HG 06-02-2012 07:25 AM

Update - I've been paying super attentive lately, and my fingers seem to be healing well. I probably have to keep it yp for another couple of weeks to make sure all the hiddenUlic layers heal normally though. I used Ulic's suggestion yo tidy and clean up loose ends with clippers, and even bought a pair of clippers to keep in my bag whenever I get the impulse. Thanks guys.

Pls excyse mobile typos.