REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

New Member, Introduction

How's it going everyone. Just joined the revscene forum, as there seem to be more interesting posts going on over here about modifications and car issues.

I am originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba but moved to Calgary, AB in 2005. I am a licensed automotive tech and worked for Audi for 5 years, and now working at Porsche.

I have a gen 2 DSM i am currently working on. I Noticed people in Vancouver, Richmond, Abbotsford and few other places are really into the tuning and modifying scene. In Winnipeg tuners are mostly into the older vehicles, and in Calgary, AB most enthusiasts are into European cars and the most that gets done to them are wheels, intake, exhaust. Odd few really get into the older Jdm stuff and what not.

I am thinking of moving to British Columbia and opening up a speed shop in a year or 2. Seems to be alot more demand there then in Calgary. I am currently working on a e commerce website but i will not advertise it until I get permission from the Revscene adminstrator to become a sponsor.

My question to you guys is

1. how often do you shop online for parts.
2. How does aircare work and are you limited to upgrading the vehicle because of aircare?
3. Are there ways around aircare?
4. Are right hand drive vehicles banned from British Columbia?

Thank you
Advertisement

Last edited by Dynamite kid; 05-21-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: forgot to write thank you
Dynamite kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the scene in vancouver is complete mix, with people on both extreme ends (one tuning, other styling) with plenty of ppl inbetween.

style side, you will get more props for keeping ur mods clean. the current trend is all about stance.

not as many ppl anymore supporting their mods from the apc catalog aka "rice"

no way around aircare unless you live with an address outside of the lower mainland.

aircare measures ur nox, and co. so long as you have a working cat, you should be able to pass.

to be straight out deadly honest, there are far less tuner shops in town, than mod shops. there are only a handful of shops that can call themselves tuners. skilled trades men in town are far and few between, hence why, in the many years the scene has been around, the shops that still remain have found their corner of the market, what they specialize in.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Welcome!

1. I buy almost all my parts online
2. No aircare where I am
3. -
4. There's RHD vehicles all over the place. No ban.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

1. how often do you shop online for parts.
2. How does aircare work and are you limited to upgrading the vehicle because of aircare?
4. Are right hand drive vehicles banned from British Columbia?

1) I buy virtually everything online unless I can get it locally for a price close to what I would pay online + shipping/duty. I can usually get it faster and cheaper online. Because I know how things work in parts supply industry, you can't stock everything so it's hard to compete locally. I would prefer to buy local and support the economy but paying $200-$300 more on a $500 part is not going to fly in my books.
2) I've been able to pass a single turbo FD as well as my 300whp supercharged Miata, and a friend passed his built 630awhp R32 GTR. Chances are, you'll be just fine.
3) No
4) No

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Welcome!

Personally I tend to buy most of my parts online, unless I absolutely need it right away.

Aircare can be "beat." Poorly and improperly tuned cars older than 1999 (I think that's the cut off point before they start testing via the OBD2 port) will have a harder time passing emissions. Newer models, provided the engine isn't throwing a CEL, will pass regardless. I've seen some highly modified cars running 100+ octane for street use pass through Aircare without a fail, while others with a simple bolt on turbo install have failed dramatically. It simply depends on the tune and, more importantly, who did it.

!SG is correct about the current shops in town. There are very few real tuner shops around. Places like Racing Greed have managed to stick around because they found a particular niche they were good at and developed a strong customer base. There have been many fly-by-night "tuner" shops that either offered subpar service or didn't want to do anything harder than sell rims and install taillights. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but they're far from performance shops that are able to offer proper dyno tuning with knowledgable staff.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be on here often. If you guys have any issues with your vehicle let me know, I've worked on Audi/VW , Bmw, Porsche, Japanese vehicles and domestics. I am currently working for Porsche. I enjoy helping out the community.

Thanks everyone!!
Dynamite kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post

3) No
Not true, there is 2 ways around aircare. If your GVW is raised 5001 and up it doesnt require aircare.

Or you can use what is referred to as Territory Z
Basically when insurance comes up and if aircare is required you tell the people at the insurance place your moving out of the lower mainland. Just tell them your leaving for work, however you do need an address. They will insure you car, it might cost a bit more but you can change that the next day. The next day go back to the insurance place tell them you changed your mind and are not leaving, your insurance will go back down and your car will already be insured for the year meaning you do not need aircare and dont have to do that again until the next year. This literally takes 5 minutes.

And i guess thats a no for two as well, i have no cats of my mustang and i have it insured
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6

Last edited by firebird79_00; 05-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

welcome ! good luck with your speed shop

1)Online is the first place when I look for parts
2)Yes
3)Don't know
4)No
Slow63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
if its mcl, one of my techs may be working there or have worked there.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
Not true, there is 2 ways around aircare. If your GVW is raised 5001 and up it doesnt require aircare.

Or you can use what is referred to as Territory Z
Basically when insurance comes up and if aircare is required you tell the people at the insurance place your moving out of the lower mainland. Just tell them your leaving for work, however you do need an address. They will insure you car, it might cost a bit more but you can change that the next day. The next day go back to the insurance place tell them you changed your mind and are not leaving, your insurance will go back down and your car will already be insured for the year meaning you do not need aircare and dont have to do that again until the next year. This literally takes 5 minutes.
This is not beating aircare, it's cheating it. And if you get in an accident with a Territory Z insured car and are found to live in the Lower Mainland you're not going to be covered.

Good luck trying to get a Civic, RX7, 350z etc. GVW bumped to 5001. Lol.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Thats why you change you address back to here, if anyone asks just tell them it didnt work out.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #12

You don't think ICBC knows about this? They are not stupid. For instance you used to be able to buy and insure a 50cc scooter to take the hit on your insurance if you had an accident. Not anymore. Eventually all loop holes will be closed.

And like I already said. If I can make my cars pass, and many guys on the RX7 forum can as well... unless you have a peice of shit car that shouldn't be on the road anyways you shouldnt have any issues passing.