REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #51
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
*yawn

There's too many bleeding hearts in this world, a guy who attacked a cop with a weapon didn't deserve to die, he should have been infact given a nice rehab stint in a
Flowered garden full of naked women and the finest fruits and wines this world has to offer

Being a cop is a fucking shitty job, and alot of you people bitching about how this was wrong are probably the same ones who demanded more force be used during the Stanley cup riots, cops can't catch a break in a world of camera phones and social media, in the past when a story came out about a mentally
Unstable man attacking a cop with a chain and being subsequently killed for it people would think nothing of it, now people get their panties in a not when a grainy ass video tape shows the events unfold

Maybe..just maybe...you don't attack a cop with a bike chain and bad things won't happen?

Although we live in a world where you can behead a stranger on a bus and get out of jail a year later so who's to say what is right anymore anyways, just kill everyone IMO
Advertisement

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-31-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ dude, the guy was on all fours with 7 bullets in his torso....and he was a threat to the police officers? they couldn't have tackled him and arrested him? so...let's shoot and kill the guy?....how would you feel if this was your brother or father?

If the MB tourist didn't send this video in, the cops would have gotten away with murder! Cops have way to much power right now and no minimal accountability.

How would you feel if your son was partying and bumped into a cop the wrong way on Granville Street...I guess it is OK for the cops to shot him.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #53

Rational, normal people dont end up in those situations.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
*yawn

There's too many bleeding hearts in this world, a guy who attacked a cop with a weapon didn't deserve to die, he should have been infact given a nice rehab stint in a
Flowered garden full of naked women and the finest fruits and wines this world has to offer

Being a cop is a fucking shitty job, and alot of you people bitching about how this was wrong are probably the same ones who demanded more force be used during the Stanley cup riots, cops can't catch a break in a world of camera phones and social media, in the past when a story came out about a mentally
Being a cop is a shitty job? Since when!? Great benefits, automatic respect, opportunities to advance positions, great salaries and great schedules...In most cases, no advanced education required so you're not spending $100,000's in tuition just to make a decent living...Cops have shitty jobs?? LOL!

I can't respond to your comments anymore, they're ludicrous.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #55
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Rational, normal people dont end up in those situations.
Right.....He wasn't rational or normal....He was bipolar....WTF are you trying to say??
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #56
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I don't think we'll get anywhere in society with people saying "oh he was going to die anyways, so it's okay if there was one last lethal shot to the head..."
Agreed. VGH is a short amberlamps ride away. Hes a person, not an animal. He didn't need to be "put out of his misery". If that was the officer's motivation (not saying it was) then thats extremely flawed logic and tantamount to murder. The "victims" of Jack Kevorkian willingly consented to die at someone else's hand, not this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Right.....He wasn't rational or normal....He was bipolar....WTF are you trying to say??

The majority of bipolar people don't hit people with bike chains. The VAST majority of them.

Did they find out if this guy was on drugs or not?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #57
I subscribe to Revscene

It was a clear execution... civilization is breaking down in the America's.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
He hit a cop with a lock on a chain..
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
The majority of bipolar people don't hit people with bike chains. The VAST majority of them.
Okay, true....however, when a bipolar individual is experiencing a manic episode, he is MORE LIKELY to become aggressive and/or violent towards others, especially if he is also under the influence of drugs or alcohol and isn't taking his meds....
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #60

Quote:
He hit a cop with a lock on a chain..
^This guy has to be trolling
Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #61

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Whether the police officer acted correctly or not, he doesn't represent the entire force.

VPD is out there to serve and protect the city of Vancouver. Whether the shooting was result of a person snapping or the lack of training by VPD, nobody knows.

If the Paul Boyd attacked the police officer and end up killing him. What would people say here? Would anyone say we need to protect our police officers more? Or would people just say RIP.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Well.. I guess its 1 shot each from each officer.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #63
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Well.. I guess its 1 shot each from each officer.
no it was only the 1 officer who fired all the shots (total of 8 including the killing shot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
If the Paul Boyd attacked the police officer and end up killing him. What would people say here? Would anyone say we need to protect our police officers more? Or would people just say RIP.
just say RIP... they've got ample protection and their role is to put their lives on the line... to serve and protect the community... but time and again we're shown they don't seem to believe in that anymore

people are always mentioning how bad the police in eastern europe are but remember those videos we've seen of police going hand to hand to take down an aggressive citizen who was fist fighting with the police and using wooden posts and metal bars to attack the cops and they got hit but didnt take their guns out and just fought it out because they actually value life

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-31-2012 at 03:57 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #64
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
So watching the news today, they said the testimony of the cop that shot Boyd was that Boyd was swinging the chain and wouldn't stop.

This video pretty much proves he lied, and that's fucked up.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #65
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
So watching the news today, they said the testimony of the cop that shot Boyd was that Boyd was swinging the chain and wouldn't stop.

This video pretty much proves he lied, and that's fucked up.
Who's "they"?

Because "they" also said the reason he was shot was because despite being shot multiple times already, he was still trying to crawl towards the police officers (and the obscured portion of the video), he was attempting to get up.

Seems like which story of "they" just depends on which news source you want to listen to.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #66
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Who's "they"?

Because "they" also said the reason he was shot was because despite being shot multiple times already, he was still trying to crawl towards the police officers (and the obscured portion of the video), he was attempting to get up.

Seems like which story of "they" just depends on which news source you want to listen to.

it was portrayed in a way to indicate that by Jim Chu himself

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Vancouver's new Police Chief Jim Chu is spending his first day on the job investigating a police shooting which took the life of a 39-year old Vancouver man. Chief Chu did the briefing this morning, on an incident last night where police shot and killed a suspect near Granville Street and 16th Avenue.

Chu says officers responded to an assault call to find a man with a claw hammer at a bus stop on Granville. He says the man obeyed police orders to drop the hammer, but refused to drop to the ground. Chu says the man then came at officers, swinging a large chain. One officer was knocked out, another received a head injury. "He then turned his attention to three other officers who arrived at the scene. He advanced at these officers, swinging his chain. These officers backed up about half a block and at that point he was shot by the police officers."
the article doesn't seem to exist anymore on news1130 but 7seven quoted it which can be found in the original thread about this incident here

http://www.revscene.net/forums/48692...nville-st.html

and another site using the news1130 article http://www.vancouverprofile.com/news...t.php/id/22773

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-31-2012 at 09:06 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #67
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
You basically know the cop fucked up when the police chief says he's "disturbed" by the video.

I can almost bet anything that this guy will be charged based on this video, there is no reason whatsoever for this cop to shot this guy in the head when he was crawling on the ground after been shot 7 times. I don't know how this cop has the balls to say that he shot him because he was trying to get up and some how he felt threatened by a guy who was basically dying. I usually defend cops but this guy needs to be charged and put behind bars, there is nothing in the video that justified this victim been executed.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #68
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Wow didn't know I had the last post but here's an update for this case, disappointing news for the family.

Quote:
A Vancouver police officer who was involved in a fatal shooting that was captured on a cellphone video won't face charges because he could reasonably argue self-defence, a special prosecutor announced Monday.

Paul Boyd was shot multiple times after police responded to a 911 call about a disturbance in August 2007. He was bipolar and was not taking his medication at the time.

Various investigations and reviews by police and Crown prosecutors had cleared Const. Lee Chipperfield, but the case was placed under renewed scrutiny last year when a cellphone video emerged in the media.

Chipperfield had told a coroner's inquest he believed Boyd was armed with a bicycle chain when he fired the fatal shot. He also said he believed Boyd may have been wearing body armour because it appeared as though he wasn't affected by the initial shots.

But the shaky video showed Boyd crawling along the ground, no longer holding the chain, in the seconds before the ninth and final shot.

An outside agency was brought in from Alberta to conduct yet another review of the case and a special prosecutor was appointed to review the evidence.

The B.C. Criminal Justice Branch released a seven-page statement Monday explaining special prosecutor Mark Jette's decision to not charge the officer.

"If Const. Chipperfield was prosecuted for an offence alleging culpable homicide, a reasonable doubt on the issue of self-defence would require an acquittal," the statement said.

"The evidence made available to the special prosecutor in this case was that Const. Chipperfield personally believed resort to lethal force was necessary to preserve himself and others from death or grievous bodily harm."

Police were called to a report about an assault at a bus stop, though Monday's statement notes the call turned out to be inaccurate.

At first, Boyd was co-operative, according to the prosecutor's statement, dropping a hammer when police officers asked him to. However, when the officers attempted to handcuff Boyd, the situation deteriorated and Boyd swung the bike chain, hitting one of the officers.

During the confrontation, Chipperfield fired nine shots, eight of which struck Boyd.

Midway through the gunfire, the video shows Boyd had dropped the bike chain and another officer pushed it aside, the prosecutor's statement says. That officer later said he had told Chipperfield to "hold your fire," though Chipperfield and other officers at the scene said they didn't hear it.

The prosecutor's statement said the video does not tell the whole story about what happened that night.

The video starts after six shots had already been fired and doesn't show the confrontation that prompted the shooting, the statement says. The entire incident lasted less than three minutes.

While Boyd is seen on the video crawling on the ground, he moves behind a car, blocking the camera's view, before the final shot. An autopsy concluded the angle of the fatal shot indicated Boyd may have been either on his hands and knees or leaning forward while on his feet.

As for Chipperfield's belief that Boyd was still armed when the fatal shot was fired, the statement notes other civilian witnesses had the same, albeit inaccurate, recollection.

"A number of the civilian witnesses who viewed the incident involving Mr. Boyd also failed to observe a police officer remove the chain and padlock prior to the fatal shot," said the statement.

"The special prosecutor concluded that Const. Chipperfield's evidence that he failed to note Mr. Boyd being disarmed may reflect the fact that sometimes people do not see what is there to be seen."

Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu said in a statement the case was "difficult and sad for everyone involved."

"As I have said from the beginning of this tragic incident, I would like to once again extend our sincere regrets and condolences to the Boyd family for their loss," Chu said in the statement.

"No police officer ever comes to work with the intent of taking a life."

Read more: New video prompts external review of Paul Boyd's 2007 shooting by police (with video)
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 AM   #69
I subscribe to Revscene

More then a handful have been involved in this cover up.... you cant mistake a man crawling on his knees to someone swinging a bike chain.

Why No Jury Trial for Police
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 10-29-2013 at 04:15 AM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #70
The "You'd Know" Moderator

It's crappy when police is called in to deal with an emergency caused by mental health issues.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #71
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I really think the police need to be trained better for situation's like this, it's really said this has happened cause it truly could of been avoided with proper training.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #72
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Self defence on a guy who's crawling towards you with 7 bulletes in him? Guess it was too much to ask to just jump on his back and cuff him.... And the cops wonder why they have a bad image.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #73
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
I'm no cop hater, and know that sometimes people will die when they are a PERCEIVED threat to the police. There is no rational person who could believe the threat hadn't ended when Boyd was on his knees full of 7 bullets with no weapon in his hand. This is an execution. The extra step, and extra bullets need to stop. This isn't zombieland.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #74

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Whatever happened to appropriate force? In self-defence, generally you are permitted to use the same force back as the one that is threatening you. If it be deadly force, you're allowed to respond back with deadly force, if it's non-deadly, you must respond with non-deadly.

Yes it can be argued that a Kinder Surprise may be used with deadly force but REASONABLE perspective would tell us that a kinder surprise, like a chain or a belt, even as a weapon, is generally not deadly force; although it can cause bodily harm. So then why, is a gun shooting real bullets, permitted to be a response to non-deadly threat? Here lies the problem. It's what the officer reasonably perceived the situation to be not what it actually was.

Either way, I don't see how you can spin that deadly force was justified here because generally it's only allowed when there is an apparent threat of deadly force or grievous bodily harm. Being hit by a bicycle chain once will unlikely cause grievous bodily harm and certainly wouldn't cause death.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #75
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There is no rational person who could believe the threat hadn't ended when Boyd was on his knees full of 7 bullets with no weapon in his hand.
And I'll repeat what I said before: they had no way of knowing whether he may have had other weapons ON HIS PERSON. He could have had a knife, a gun, an HIV-tainted needle...

I also wouldn't expect they had any way of knowing that seven of their bullets actually found him. It MAY have been obvious he was hit, but not how many times, and not how much that was actually slowing him down.

What WAS surely obvious was that this person was bent on harming someone; that he had been armed with one dangerous weapon and may have more; and that despite being shot, hs was still intent on advancing and causing more harm.

But you know, all the armchair quarterbacks here have the benefit of everyone else's hindsight and don't have to actually live in the heat of the moment, with a screaming maniac making it pretty clear that he's about to do you in no matter what you do to stop him... so by all means, judge away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote