REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #226
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Found my old blog from 2008, I guess someone stole it and kept it up after I let it expire

How to find a Ryokan in Japan

Not sure if any of those links still work
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #227
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Any ryokan recommendation for Osaka-Kyoto region? Planning a family trip during Chinese New Year time.

Also, where would be a good website to book them?
I like using agoda.com and checking off the hostel selection in the refined search
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #228
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I like using agoda.com and checking off the hostel selection in the refined search
That's exactly what I did. Thanks still!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #229
I am Hook'd on RS

Pretty cheap flight to Japan:
Next Departure - $617
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #230

Any comment on data sim card for Japan?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #231
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
^Go with a portable wifi.
Rent iPhone, Cell / Mobile Phone & Mobile Data Card in Japan:: Global Advanced Communications
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #232
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Any recommendations for eating kobe beef in Tokyo?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #233
My homepage has been set to RS

FYI. As a heads up for anyone traveling. Check the hours of operation for all places your going to..

Found a few hot spots to have weird closing/opening times.
Ex.
Noodle museums - Closed on tuesday
tsukiji fish market - Check their website. They have their own market holiday hours! (could be closed on random days during the month)
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #234
I am Hook'd on RS

To add to that, almost all of the main galleries and museums are closed Mondays. That's pretty standard though.

cheers
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #235

Hows airbnb in Japan? -- particularly Tokyo/Osaka. I know its illegal there and I have read horror stories of last minute cancellations.

1st stay trip in Japan I strictly did hotels which was expensive...
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #236
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
^I used airbnb exclusively for my last 2 trips to Japan. No issues at all. Just go to the listings that have a lot of reviews and you should be okay. You could always book hotels that have free cancellation as a contingency.

The airbnbs in Tokyo were a lot more cramped but the ones in Osaka were pretty damn spacious.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #237

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Hows airbnb in Japan? -- particularly Tokyo/Osaka. I know its illegal there and I have read horror stories of last minute cancellations.

didn't know it was illegal... I've stayed in airbnbs there multiple times. As with choosing a place anywhere, just do your research. All the ones i've been in have been super spacious (all things considered), and having a kitchen really helps there so you can reheat all those konbini food at 1am after having a six pack of sapporo black
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #238
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
What? Airbnb in Japan is illegal? Those are all I stay at when I go there. Rent apartments literally only to sleep and shower. I don't even bother using the cooking stuff because family mart has all that stuff and cooked food ready to go. I LOVE family mart so much.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #239

I've just been to Kansai area and I've been on AirBNB except 2 nights for ryokan.

The one in Osaka was sketchy as hell. Sure the location was unbeatable. But it was inside of a commercial building (like literally every unit except that one were for some sort of commercial entity... hair salon, dance studio... etc). So, that one is most likely illegal.

The one in Kyoto though, it had the certificate for lodging issued by Kyoto gov't, verified the people actually staying... and the whole 9yard. The renting guy was a pro managing over 40 locations. So I guess it is possible to do it full legit.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #240
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Would AirBnB be affordable for a solo traveler, since I can't split the cost with another person? Or should I stick to hostels/capsules?
Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 AM   #241
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Would AirBnB be affordable for a solo traveler, since I can't split the cost with another person? Or should I stick to hostels/capsules?
From all the research that I've done, it seems that hostels and capsule hotels are the best for single occupancy.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #242
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I've just been to Kansai area and I've been on AirBNB except 2 nights for ryokan.

The one in Osaka was sketchy as hell. Sure the location was unbeatable. But it was inside of a commercial building (like literally every unit except that one were for some sort of commercial entity... hair salon, dance studio... etc). So, that one is most likely illegal.

The one in Kyoto though, it had the certificate for lodging issued by Kyoto gov't, verified the people actually staying... and the whole 9yard. The renting guy was a pro managing over 40 locations. So I guess it is possible to do it full legit.
I stayed in one like that in Shinjuku, upstairs was a shiatsu massage place, below was a maid massage place and below that was a kareoke/bar.

LOL that place was hilarious but it was a legit apartment unit with a living/bedroom beside the kitchen and a washing machine behind the headboard. it was like 200 square feet
Old 02-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #243

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Depends how much room you're comfortable with, you can find some pretty cheap AirBnB's.

As to whether it's illegal or not, our Tokyo host told us not to tell locals we were renting it through AirBnB because it's illegal. They told us to tell people we were friends vising if we were asked. We met up with my girlfriend's friend and her friends while in Tokyo and we asked them the question and they said that it was perfectly legal; in fact they recommend it to their friends as well.

Our Osaka host also noted that it is legal to have AirBnB so...maybe it's a Tokyo thing?

Either way, AirBnB is the way to go in Japan. We got a place with a washing machine and kitchen that slept all 5 of us and it was $130CAD a night. Dozens of those around.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #244
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Planing a 7 to 9 day trip to Japan Tokyo around May. Friend suggested I should visit the Red light district and get the Railway pass. I also wanted to see places like Gundam museum and the Pokemon shop. Maybe some temples too. Not really into shopping but would mind if I can find some cheap jeans and runners. I will also be buying lot's of snacks to bring back.

As far as food goes I am not really a picky eater but would love to try some real Japanese food.

In terms of where to stay. Some people suggested to try AirBnB, while others say since I will be moving to different cities every few days is best to use hotel since it will be cheaper. Reading some RS it seems people suggest Capasule hotel. So which one is better?

I don't speak Japanese at all so I guess English should be ok?

After visiting I plan to stay in Hong Kong for a few days. I might not even bring a luggage with me when I go there and just purchase one when I am in Japan to lessen my load.

Any good suggestions where I should visit, good restaurant I should go? I am traveling alone so yea most likely I will hit my the massage and the hot spring there as well.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #245

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I'm going to Japan/Korea for 3 weeks in a few days and staying in Airbnb and a hostel. Approx $60 a night with laundry/kitchen/fully loaded toilet seat etc. I travel with carry on backpack. I've been told the locals refer to capsule hotel as a jerk off coffin. I will visit Honda in motegi. I am a white devil that doesn't know a word of Japanese so I can provide updates happyslip
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #246
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Planing a 7 to 9 day trip to Japan Tokyo around May. Friend suggested I should visit the Red light district and get the Railway pass. I also wanted to see places like Gundam museum and the Pokemon shop. Maybe some temples too. Not really into shopping but would mind if I can find some cheap jeans and runners. I will also be buying lot's of snacks to bring back.

As far as food goes I am not really a picky eater but would love to try some real Japanese food.

In terms of where to stay. Some people suggested to try AirBnB, while others say since I will be moving to different cities every few days is best to use hotel since it will be cheaper. Reading some RS it seems people suggest Capasule hotel. So which one is better?

After visiting I plan to stay in Hong Kong for a few days. I might not even bring a luggage with me when I go there and just purchase one when I am in Japan to lessen my load.

Any good suggestions where I should visit, good restaurant I should go? I am traveling alone so yea most likely I will hit my the massage and the hot spring there as well.
I'd stay away from capsule hotels as most everything is communal. It's really a last resort thing and if you are adamant about trying a capsule hotel, I guess go for it. As I'm sure you've been used to a standard Canadian bedroom, sleeping inside a capsule and being in a communal hostel type environment, you might as well pay a little more for privacy. Most of these places require you to pay for secure storage, otherwise you keep your stuff out in the open like everyone else.

As for food, food is good pretty much anywhere unless you want to go to like a michelin star restaurant. Then you'll need to have some basic Japanese down to communicate when you'd like to book but then those you're almost always out of luck because of the long queues. I'd book now if possible. You'll get by with English. Most everything has pictures and you can make your way around.

Uniqlo and GU will be your best friend if you're looking for cheap jeans and runners.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

You can find cheap AirBnB's for single or double occupancy. For time, costs, and convenience sake, we had breakfast at Lawson's every morning because we either lived above one or right around the corner from one in every city we went to.

Ge yourself a pocket WiFi though, I can't stress how helpful it was when we went, not to mention you can use Google translate or Google maps. Maps is scary accurate (even down to the minute of the trans schedule) for navigating through Japan.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #248
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
airbnb can be just as cheap as hostels private rooms.
if you're a solo traveler and want to meet other travelers I think hostels is a better option. If you're just doing your own thing then either one works. I've had a bad experience with one AirBnB so I only use it as a backup when I'm solo travelling. If you go airBnB I believe verified hosts or whatever is a safer bet.

you don't need a rail pass if you're just staying in Tokyo as the main line it's valid on is the yamanote (green line that loops around the city centre)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
airbnb can be just as cheap as hostels private rooms.
if you're a solo traveler and want to meet other travelers I think hostels is a better option. If you're just doing your own thing then either one works. I've had a bad experience with one AirBnB so I only use it as a backup when I'm solo travelling. If you go airBnB I believe verified hosts or whatever is a safer bet.

you don't need a rail pass if you're just staying in Tokyo as the main line it's valid on is the yamanote (green line that loops around the city centre)
+1 Rail pass only gets you unlimited JR trains and there are a few subway companies

if you're leaving Tokyo, the rail pass does not work for Nozomi and Mizuho bullet train lines. Nozomi restriction was an annoyance for us when we traveled to Osaka..
Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #250
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
+1 Rail pass only gets you unlimited JR trains and there are a few subway companies

if you're leaving Tokyo, the rail pass does not work for Nozomi and Mizuho bullet train lines. Nozomi restriction was an annoyance for us when we traveled to Osaka..
Hikari and Kodama trains go to osaka from tokyo and are covered by the pass.
the reason why Nozomi and Mizuho are not covered is they are express i believe.

Happyslip: i read somewhere that the gundam statue is coming down in march and the store is closing in april... not sure if it's moving, or reno's or something... i'll try to find the article.

Edit: found it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...arch-5/.109369

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: