REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Two Potential Job Offers

On my search for the perfect job, I've doled out tens of resumes in the past couple weeks. I got a call and went in for a job interview with Kal Tire last Friday, and they told me I will not hear from them whether or not I got the job until this Friday (the 15th), as they are still interviewing candidates for this week. This morning, I got a call from another shop somewhere and they asked me to come in for an interview tomorrow.

The situation is, if the interview goes well and the second company offers to hire me first, how should I go about the option of waiting to hear back from Kal Tire first, and then making a decision from there?
Advertisement
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Which do you want more?

If you are offered tomorrows job, don't say anything. If you get hired with Kal, and you rather work with Kal, then quit tomorrows job. That way, you can also decline Kal if you change your mind.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Hmm, people have been saying that I should just take tomorrow's job if I do get offered, and then wait for whether or not Kal Tire offers me employment. Sounds solid, but I'm not sure how to respectfully bow out of a job that I've taken up for only three days?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #4

At the end of the day, do what you gotta do for yourself. What if you decline so you could be corteous, but don't get the position with Kal?

Its always nice to be respectful, but you don't always have that option.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
forget what people say.
What does AW607's heart and mind say?

if you can't decide. take a coin and flip it. the moment you wish it was A/B you will know what you want.

I dont know how it works in Auto Shop industry, but most places give you 3-4 days to consider.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Tell them what you have on the plate. They realize that you have probably applied to more than one job. I have always preferred people to be honest about their intentions and wants / needs. Even with my boss at work and in interviews over the years. I always state my actual intentions. In my current job I told the manager that I didn't even know what the company was or what they did until I handed the resume in and grabbed a pamphlet. I also told them of my intentions of staying only 3-5 years maximum.

Honesty can be the best policy.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
If they offer you a job before you hear back from Kal Tire tell them you need to give your current job 2 weeks notice, and will start in 2 weeks
...by then you will have heard from Kal-Tire...if Kal denies you then you still have the job your interviewing for...if kal tire hires you tell them, thanks for the opportunity but due to unforeseen circumstances you cannot take them up on the offer of employment.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
I'm not sure how to respectfully bow out of a job that I've taken up for only three days?

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #9

Alright so the guy who interviewed me today told me to wait for whether or not Kal Tire hires me, and then I'll call him back the next week.

Thanks for the pointers fellows
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
talk is cheap dude, whichever contract / confirmation you get, you take it. DON"T WAIT for anything.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
Alright so the guy who interviewed me today told me to wait for whether or not Kal Tire hires me, and then I'll call him back the next week.

Thanks for the pointers fellows
You told the interviewer your true intentions?

You know, chances are if you call back next week (if Kal doesn't hire you), you will be told "sorry but the position has been filled out. We do have your application on file ..."
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #12

well I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next few days. My resume didn't lie either, he knows I was looking for apprenticeship so he asked and I'm a brutally honest guy :/
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

hey, at least if they're standup then they'll respect you for your honesty. on the other hand, should call kal tire up tomorrow and be forthright with them, "hey, I have another opportunity, what are my prospects?"
xerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #14

I got hired at Kal Tire! Great success, thanks again guys
Old 06-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
1+
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote