REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
A possible belt problem?

I'm trying to help a good friend of mine figure out an issue with his family's car, an '04 Impreza TS

He tells me there's a loud distinct sound coming from his engine, a sort of humming sound that can sometimes be heard at sometimes idle or during acceleration. He took it for a drive with me and this happened, but I'm not too sure what's up with it. It's been a few weeks since then, and he tells me it got worse.

Quote:

- because metal vibrates at a certain frequency and if you only hear noise at that particular RPM then something's gotta be lose
- well you heard the humming sound from last time
-this new sound I hear isn't necessarily squealing but sounds like something is slapping against something else
-it's not too loud
-but it happens when my car's idling or when I just start it up and pull out of the driveway
He says a slapping sound so I'm assuming a belt probably's wearing out severely or another similar issue in a roundabout way?

He tells me his father took it to a shop to get it checked out but they said it wasn't an issue and told him not to worry about it.. but since then it just got worse and they didn't bother to help, but he also thinks it might just possibly be a timing belt problem.. Probably does sound quite vague but does anybody have any input on this?
Advertisement
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
take it back or to another shop and ask them to check with a stethoscope. its really hard to determine which noise is which when it comes to being under the hood. stethoscope should help in hearing individual parts

89' Skyline GTS-T - Big Turbo Widebody
1990 FC RX7 - Tap Walls, Bang Limiters

1998 Integra - RIP
1992 Celica GT -
SOLD
1985 Trans Am Firebird - SOLD
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote