REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #16001
My homepage has been set to RS

Interesting bucket from team France in the IIHF tournament haha. Looks to be grafted from a goalie helmet.

Advertisement
Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #16002
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Subban, Suter and Letang voted as finalists for the Norris Trophy...Pretty sure this comes down to Suter Vs. Subban, and my vote goes to Suter...pretty sure he'll get it.

Last edited by bballguy; 05-07-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #16003
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Suter or Subban and Suter wins for being a more well rounded, all-around defenseman. He's only a couple points behind Subban and plays 28 minutes a game.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #16004
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Wearing my jersey to work today, win or lose I'm a fan but truthfully I want them to lose tonight cause changes need to happen
This.

I said the exact same thing to the GF.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #16005
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
....That's a huge exaggeration, and really means nothing.....What makes you think 'Kate Upton's Tits' (Canucks) won't turn into 'Sumo Wrestler Diapers' (Flames) in just a matter of years? There's nowhere in the contract that says Canucks are going to be Kate Upton's tits for the next 10 years....

and Long-term contracts ABSOLUTELY give you job security....guy plays good for 2 years, gets long-term contract, sucks balls for the rest of his career, still gets paid.....How is that not job security?

Job security is about getting paid...Shit can get tough at any point for any profession, but knowing that you will always be employed and always get paid is what defines job security.

All that said, I appreciate the great metaphors and analogy.
You can argue with me all you want but the way I'm stating it is the way the NHL works.

With your example, if that guy sucks balls, he'll be traded to another team.

When a player signs a long term contract, especially a 29, 30-year old goalie like Lu that's likely to have a family, that means they're not only committing to playing for the team but that their family will be committing to the city. No player wants to move their kids around all the time. Most players, if they're traded, don't take their kids with them.

A player that's good enough to sign a long term contract can get that money anywhere else. It's not about getting paid. It's about getting paid where you want to play. There's all sorts of factors you're not considering.

Look at Jeff Carter and Mike Richards for the best example of this. Both signed long term contracts with no NTC. It worked out for both in the end. Richards was probably pretty happy going to another playoff team but Carter went to Columbus and pouted for 30 games before getting traded to the Kings. He got paid the same amount of money but shit he did not want to play for CBJ.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #16006
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
I want them to win tonight... so they can lose at home.
And Luongo will be cheered off the ice
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #16007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
You can argue with me all you want but the way I'm stating it is the way the NHL works.

With your example, if that guy sucks balls, he'll be traded to another team.

When a player signs a long term contract, especially a 29, 30-year old goalie like Lu that's likely to have a family, that means they're not only committing to playing for the team but that their family will be committing to the city. No player wants to move their kids around all the time. Most players, if they're traded, don't take their kids with them.

A player that's good enough to sign a long term contract can get that money anywhere else. It's not about getting paid. It's about getting paid where you want to play. There's all sorts of factors you're not considering.

Look at Jeff Carter and Mike Richards for the best example of this. Both signed long term contracts with no NTC. It worked out for both in the end. Richards was probably pretty happy going to another playoff team but Carter went to Columbus and pouted for 30 games before getting traded to the Kings. He got paid the same amount of money but shit he did not want to play for CBJ.
I see what you are saying, but I'm saying the players don't deserve that much leverage...The GM's in this league have gotten stupid...like I said, only the best of the best deserve no-trade clauses with no limitations whatsoever...if you really need to use a NTC to entice others to sign, at least have limitations on it stating this guy can say he doesn't want to be traded to these 10 teams. I don't think we see NTC's being handed out like this in other sports, do we?

and you said with my example, if a guy sucks balls, he'll just get traded, but my point was that that guy has a NTC, and thus can't get traded unless he waives it...

The league needs to implement rules that make a player eligible for a NTC....in the NBA, to even be eligible to receive a no-trade clause, a player must have already collected eight years of NBA experience and at least four years with the team that signs him to a contract containing the clause....It works perfectly, and that's why we only see 4 guys in the NBA with the no-trade clause: Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, and Kevin Garnett.

Last edited by bballguy; 05-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #16008
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

nothing new...everyone's seen these a gazillion times
im just bored at work... bad calls. At this point it doesn't matter, but just putting it out there. some of them are outrageous

Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #16009

^posted only 4 pages ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #16010
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ at the end of the day while there have been several bad/missed calls against the Canucks, they shouldn't be in a situation where they are dependent on special teams to score. Canucks can't score and that sums it up. Sure its great when you're powerplay is going, but at the end of the day absolutely no offence at even strength.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #16011
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Bad reffing missed calls who gives a fuck. They don't deserve to win end of story....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #16012
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
^ at the end of the day while there have been several bad/missed calls against the Canucks, they shouldn't be in a situation where they are dependent on special teams to score. Canucks can't score and that sums it up. Sure its great when you're powerplay is going, but at the end of the day absolutely no offence at even strength.
Yeah, but you certainly can't get anything going when you're always on the PK either.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #16013
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

refs are part of the game, so deal with it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #16014
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
I see what you are saying, but I'm saying the players don't deserve that much leverage...The GM's in this league have gotten stupid...like I said, only the best of the best deserve no-trade clauses with no limitations whatsoever...if you really need to use a NTC to entice others to sign, at least have limitations on it stating this guy can say he doesn't want to be traded to these 10 teams. I don't think we see NTC's being handed out like this in other sports, do we?

and you said with my example, if a guy sucks balls, he'll just get traded, but my point was that that guy has a NTC, and thus can't get traded unless he waives it...

The league needs to implement rules that make a player eligible for a NTC....in the NBA, to even be eligible to receive a no-trade clause, a player must have already collected eight years of NBA experience and at least four years with the team that signs him to a contract containing the clause....It works perfectly, and that's why we only see 4 guys in the NBA with the no-trade clause: Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, and Kevin Garnett.
The clause you're suggesting is called a limited no-trade clause and the conditions depend on the deal. Some players hand lists of teams they won't be traded to, some give lists of teams where they'd accept a trade. Manny, for example, has a limited no trade clause. Other players, like the Sedins, have complete NTCs and NMC (no movement clause, meaning they can't be sent to the minors).

And the comparison to the NBA is unfair because of the vast differences in the CBA. The NBA does not work like the NHL. I don't think there's a contract longer than 5 years currently in the NBA (someone correct me if I'm wrong...) but there are definitely no 10+ year contracts in the NBA. Those four players are not only superstarts but they're aging superstars so they're probably on their LAST contract.

NBA != NHL
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #16015
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Schneider confirms he is starting. #canucks

via @FarhanLaljiTSN

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #16016

Wow...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #16017
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
5chneidssssss
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #16018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The clause you're suggesting is called a limited no-trade clause and the conditions depend on the deal. Some players hand lists of teams they won't be traded to, some give lists of teams where they'd accept a trade. Manny, for example, has a limited no trade clause. Other players, like the Sedins, have complete NTCs and NMC (no movement clause, meaning they can't be sent to the minors).

And the comparison to the NBA is unfair because of the vast differences in the CBA. The NBA does not work like the NHL. I don't think there's a contract longer than 5 years currently in the NBA (someone correct me if I'm wrong...) but there are definitely no 10+ year contracts in the NBA. Those four players are not only superstarts but they're aging superstars so they're probably on their LAST contract.

NBA != NHL
Best players often get 6-7 year contracts in the NBA....and isn't the 10+year contract shit in the NHL just a way to fuck with the cap hit? I mean usually the guy isn't going to play the full 10+ years of that contract is he? He still gets paid the same amount, but the annual cap hit for the team is less...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #16019
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
WTF? I guess Luongo is playing forward eh?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #16020
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Looks like this will be AVs last game
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #16021
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

I still have hope

at this point, Cory can rebound tonight, and if this team fails to score, it's still bye bye.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #16022
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
5chneidssssss
Posted via RS Mobile
haha, srs question brah - does this whole fiasco rustle your jimmies or do you not gaf about the canucks any more?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #16023
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

AV is gone regardless....

This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #16024
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 1m

Difference one letter can make to #Canucks playoff slogan: #thisiswhatwedivefor
LOL hahaha

As for AV getting fired, I'm sure he will be hired pretty quickly.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #16025
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
haha, srs question brah - does this whole fiasco rustle your jimmies or do you not gaf about the canucks any more?
Ever since the finals loss I've pretty much been a neutral observer, tried to have very little emotional ties although still get super tense obviously down 2-1 or when were tied and there is a flurry in front of our net

Invested too much emotionally into the 2011 season after all my efforts and explaining to people that the Canucks were building towards Somthing and to finally see all my talk come to fruition only to see it end in huge disappointment it's hard for me to get on board when I see what I see on the ice, wouldn't say I'm a pessimist or optimist but a realist, my analysis may seem asinine at times but I'd like to think I think the game at a level higher than your average fan, I could write a book on all the little intricacies and eb and flows of the game and how single goals nearly destroyed franchises etc that are far above your typical fans thinking

So after all the 2011 stuff and to see the group that I loved and finally figured they were good enough to win lose like that still an empty feeling

What's the saying, the only thing worse than being hated is indifference?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread