REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #17301

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Saw on TSN that they expect AV to be fired Thursday or Friday
Dreger on TSN: Canucks made decision over weekend to head in a different direction, announcement expected Thursday or Friday.

NHL Insider: May 21 - TSN Video

Elliot Friedman:

6. We probably won't know until after the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs how many open jobs there will be. In Vancouver, Canucks GM Mike Gillis already had one meeting with owner Francesco Aquilini. Belief is there will be another, likely this week, before any decision is made.

30 Thoughts: Avalanche zero in on Roy for head coach | Hockey | CBC Sports
Advertisement

Last edited by jeedee; 05-22-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #17302
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
I kinda hope Gillies is canned as well, he hasn't done shit as a GM and the big part is it seems like other GM's are not willing to deal with him either.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #17303

gillis has brought in players, some just havnt panned out. a big reason for that is av ex: ballard. booth i cant explain that looks like a pretty big fail atm. yet some have panned out like hamhuis, garrison and higgins. gillis will have a year or two with a coach of his choice, remember av was here when gillis got here and wasnt his choice. if he doesnt do good then, that would be the time to look for a new gm
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #17304

Quote:
I kinda hope Gillies is canned as well, he hasn't done shit as a GM

Jul 1/12 Signed Jason Garrison Signed to a 6-year/$27,600,000 deal with NTC
Feb 28/11 Acquired Christopher Higgins
Feb 28/11 Acquired Maxim Lapierre
Sep 22/11 Signed Frank Corrado Signed to a 3 year entry-level contract.
Jul 1/10 Signed Dan Hamhuis Signed a 6 year/$27,000,000 contract with NTC clause.
May 30/10 Signed Chris Tanev Signed a contract.
Aug 28/09 Acquired Christian Ehroff

Yeah man, he's been sitting on his ass and hasn't done shit.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #17305
In RS I Trust

It wasn't his choice but he did decide to keep AV here which was a choice. It was also his choice to keep AV on as coach this season when it was pretty obvious to everyone a change was needed. At the money Aquilini is going to have to pay out of his pocket to buy out Ballard and Booth and lets not even talk about Lu's contract. Plain and simple hes had great ideas and yes 3 players worked out for him but look at the list of players that haven't...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #17306

Quote:
Plain and simple hes had great ideas and yes 3 players worked out for him but look at the list of players that haven't...
Yeah because its NHL13 on PS3 where every move you make pans out right?

Sure Gillis has made questionable moves and some haven't panned out but you have to remember:

Hodgson - Didn't want to be here, traded when his value was at its highest.
Grabner - Didn't fit under AV's coaching style; AV not utilizing him.
Ballard - AV not utilizing him. Gillis overpaid for Ballard cause there were other offers for him. There was no guarantee Hamhuis would sign that summer, and Ballard was his backup plan.
Booth - Injuries
Kassian - Debatable; too soon to judge
Luongo contract: Who would've known the best goalie in Canuck history would be outplayed by up and coming Schneider?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #17307

when you come in as a gm, fresh to the team and gming in general there are many new things. you have been given a coach who has provided a winning record with a team that had an aging naslund and morrison. why boot him? after changing personal around abit they got to the semi's twice. the team then got to the finals in 2011, failed last year and this was obviously av's last chance to correct what was seen as a stanley cup hangover. from looking at how the seasons have gone, av only lost the team after the final not before hand. as for who has and who hasnt worked outgillis has made more smart moves than bad. ballard, hodgson booth didnt, for various reasons, 2 probably because of av. yet hodgson is a whiny bitch like lindros so w.e. positives are hamhuis, lappiere, higgins, garrison and tanev and ehrhoff while he was here. he also made a smart choice in not matching the buffalo contract for ehrhoff as he was just hunting for money.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #17308
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Voracek totaled his Ferrari in the Czech Republic. He's lucky he didn't sustain any major injuries

This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #17309
Need to Seek Professional Help

Flyers? forward Jakub Voracek is fine after a car accident, but his Ferrari is most certainly not | Backhand Shelf | Blogs | theScore.com
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #17310
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
I still remember the days of Rucinsky for a 2nd round pick, Marc Choinard, Weinrich, Carney...etc.... Gillis isn't all that bad.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #17311
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I kinda hope Gillies is canned as well, he hasn't done shit as a GM and the big part is it seems like other GM's are not willing to deal with him either.
I feel its hard to judge the moves MG has made based on the results, yet at the end of the day this is what matters. The moves he has made were good decisions, you don't want to have to rely on luck when a GM is making moves. And as we can see, when luck isn't on your side, even the best moves can look bad. Obviously the 3 moves everybody judges by are Booth, Ballard, and Lu

MG traded 2 spare parts and a first rounder for Ballard, a legit top 4 d-man if properly utilized, and was a top 2 for some teams at the time. Hardly a bad price to pay. Everybody will jump on the Grabner bandwagon, but don't forget he couldn't even crack Florida's lineup and they waived him for absolutely nothing.

MG got Booth by giving up once again 2 spare parts. Sturm was a risk that didn't pan out and MG idenitified that early. Nobody really wanted to keep Samuelsson around either, even knowing what he had the 'potential' to deliver because he wasn't bringing it. I believe Booth is still worth giving another go, he's a strong player who just hasn't connected for whatever reason. If/when he does come around, it will likely be in bunches.

Lu: the only way MG could have kept Lu was to give him a long term to spread out the cap hit for what Lu was legitimately worth when he signed the contract. We couldn't afford a 7M caphit on Lu, so the obvious solution is to add term and lower it to a reasonable 5.3M.

Big plus: anybody remember how our salary cap was carefully managed and massaged through the IR in 2010-11? Just as 1 big name d-man was getting ready to come back, another one would sustain an injury and go out... it could have been a mere coincidence, but c'mon. MG and Gilman are slimy with side stepping the cap, but that's a great thing for a team like us.

I don't get the impression managers don't like dealing with MG. It's just that the Canucks typically don't have much to offer other teams, which is the truth especially trying to keep the current core together, or MG isn't willing to overpay like some other teams are.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #17312
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Everything Gillis did made sense... AT THE TIME
shit happened and Ballard was the odd man out, can't blame MG, the pieces moved made sense

Booth looked like he had trouble adjusting to AV's system and thus was left off the top team, then the injury bug hit hard

Luongo's contract in my mind was not entirely MG's fault, everyone knew the relation between the owners and Luongo. Although there is no proof, i do believe that Aqualini had a hand in negotiating a new contract for Luongo

Fact of the matter is, AV believes Schnoo is the man moving forward and MG accommodated this by giving him a contract. In my mind, it worked out well for the organization for this season(can't blame our goaltending for the collapse)

Its going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #17313
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Most of Gillis moves make sense but other than that he has no guts for any adjustments since 2011, that will be determine after this summer. People who beleieves he has no guts want him fired.

Canucks need to bring someone in to teach our players how to play, we got the tools but no box to put it in. (Booth, Edler, Bieksa)

Burmistrov is available. If WPG ask for schreoder i'd tell them to eff off...
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #17314
My homepage has been set to RS

1040 just said AV firing could be announced within a couple hours.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #17315
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Most of Gillis moves make sense but other than that he has no guts for any adjustments since 2011, that will be determine after this summer. People who beleieves he has no guts want him fired.

Canucks need to bring someone in to teach our players how to play, we got the tools but no box to put it in. (Booth, Edler, Bieksa)

Burmistrov is available. If WPG ask for schreoder i'd tell them to eff off...
This is what really has bothered me is he hasn't done much at all since we lost to Boston, it seems like hes always waiting to see and not making the gutsy moves which me as a fan wants to see.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #17316

boston loss was due to injuries on the back end f and 2nd line for the most part. it crippled the back-end and second line, making the team 1 dimensional again. why tinker with a stanley cup final team the year after? he tinkered with it this year because he knew from seeing last year that things werent going right, also the loss of depth was more than obvious in a shortened season.

Last edited by dbaz; 05-22-2013 at 11:41 AM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #17317
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,333 Times in 5,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Everything Gillis did made sense... AT THE TIME
shit happened and Ballard was the odd man out, can't blame MG, the pieces moved made sense
I endorse this statement.

Also who cares about Grabner, he's a nobody he his hit pinnacle two years ago and would be a non-factor in moving the Canucks forward.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #17318

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 2m
Source says Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Browne have been fired by Vancouver Canucks.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #17319

everyone with the #fireAV shit make this franchise less deserving for anything
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #17320
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
1.5 page of legit discussion instead of comparing dick size

AV fired....

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #17321
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts

Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #17322
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Would love to see torts come to the nucks.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #17323
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
Would love to see torts come to the nucks.
Posted via RS Mobile
That I dunno about that but for sure he would light a fire under the players asses and I would really enjoy the sound bites.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #17324
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Would rather have Ruff
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #17325

Bring Tippet and phx ufa boyd gordon (high % F/O winner) as 4th line
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread