REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #18676
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Oh man, I'm so relieved. I plan to support Lu wherever he goes.. but it would've been really hard if he had a Leafs jersey on.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #18677
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

toronto acquired bernier from kings
Y! SPORTS
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #18678
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round selection in 2013 or 2014 is what we needed from toronto for Luongo.

Whats going on with Gillis
Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #18679
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round selection in 2013 or 2014 is what we needed from toronto for Luongo.

Whats going on with Gillis
Gillis offered Lu for Scrivens and two second rounders and they didn't bite. He's just not worth that much.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #18680
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
strong wrong thread

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ

Last edited by Not really racist!; 06-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #18681

Dunno what Nonis is doing in Toronto...

I thought Reimer played well enough and established himself as the #1 goalie in TO, I'll wait for the resident Toronto fan to respond first though

Reimer is probably pissed off, cue the goal tending controversy with both guys fighting for the #1. IMO all he needed was a veteran goalie to mentor him one or two seasons and he'd become an above average NHL starter

So basically TO gave up a good prospect, a pick and a backup with a good attitude for another backup that won't be an NHL starter...
Lombardi is probably laughing his ass off...

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #18682
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
your hedging alot in Bernier being a #1
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #18683

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Gillis offered Lu for Scrivens and two second rounders and they didn't bite. He's just not worth that much.
Doesn't help either with Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller, Halak/Elliot on the market as well.........

If the rumors were true about Luke Schenn straight up for Luongo (then flip Schenn for JVR) or Bozak, Kadri + pick for Luongo...man Gillis fucked up....
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #18684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
your hedging alot in Bernier being a #1
Berniers legit. Just hasn't gotten enough starts being in Quick's shadow
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #18685
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post

I thought Reimer played well enough and established himself as the #1 goalie in TO, I'll wait for the resident Toronto fan to respond first though

Reimer is probably pissed off, cue the goal tending controversy with both guys fighting for the #1. IMO all he needed was a veteran goalie to mentor him one or two seasons and he'd become an above average NHL starter

So basically TO gave up a good prospect, a pick and a backup with a good attitude for another backup that won't be an NHL starter...
Did you even watch game 7, TO vs BOS? Reimer shit the bed, he's got some the worst rebound control in the league.

TO is legit top 5 in the east if they have good goaltending. Bernier's a great goalie, reminds me of Schneider due to both their styles being very positionally sound.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #18686
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Doesn't help either with Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller, Halak/Elliot on the market as well.........

If the rumors were true about Luke Schenn straight up for Luongo (then flip Schenn for JVR) or Bozak, Kadri + pick for Luongo...man Gillis fucked up....
It's been reported that Luongo didn't waive his NTC for TO initially because he was holding out for Florida. I think it was Botchford who reported that.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #18687

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
It's been reported that Luongo didn't waive his NTC for TO initially because he was holding out for Florida. I think it was Botchford who reported that.
Oh right.

Dammit Dave Tallon....just give us Bjugstad or Versteeg...
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #18688
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
It was Ghallager and then Lu came out himself and said he was never even asked to waive it..

Also saying Bernier is the real deal is pretty bold, I wouldn't even say Schneider is the real deal and he's played way more than Bernier
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #18689

Quote:
I wouldn't even say Schneider is the real deal and he's played way more than Bernier
Posted via RS Mobile
u wot m8?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #18690
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
It was Ghallager and then Lu came out himself and said he was never even asked to waive it..

Also saying Bernier is the real deal is pretty bold, I wouldn't even say Schneider is the real deal and he's played way more than Bernier
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracist pls
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #18691
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't even say Schneider is the real deal and he's played way more than Bernier
Posted via RS Mobile
I support this, but will give Schneids the benefit of the doubt because of the way the sharks series went.

No doubt is Bernier ready, the battle in the net is gonna be good
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #18692
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Rather trade Schneider bringing back some assets and have a complete rebuild. Getting a top lotto pick than having a humble feel we made it into the playoffs with the future wild card.

potential 2nd line C or 2nd line RW + back up goalie
Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #18693

Quote:
Did you even watch game 7, TO vs BOS? Reimer shit the bed, he's got some the worst rebound control in the league.

TO is legit top 5 in the east if they have good goaltending. Bernier's a great goalie, reminds me of Schneider due to both their styles being very positionally sound.
So 1 game defines his role on the team?

C'mon now, Reimer is not a superstar goalie, he's average but capable in today's league, even superstar goalies choke.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #18694
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:

C'mon now, Reimer is not a superstar goalie, he's average but capable in today's league, even superstar goalies choke.
he's not proven he could play a full season yet so it's a smart move by the Leafs so they can maybe treat the goalie situation like Lu and Schneider so they don't burn either of them out.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #18695

So Bernier is proven as well? Yeah no....

It's obvious that Nonis took a risk with this trade. If Bernier becomes the next Schoo, then fine, great deal, everybody will stfu, 2nd round pick and a 3rd/4th liner not that much to give away for a superstar goalie

Anything less than Bernier becoming a starter will be laughable and they've pissed off Reimer

As for burning out... they're only 25, should be entering their prime

As for choking in game 7? Phaneuf and the D are as much to blame as Reimer is. Let's not forget he posted a .92X save percentage and made many big saves throughout the series

Bernier is RFA as well... if he doesn't want to fight for the #1 well then... he can just choose not to sign

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ

Last edited by Not really racist!; 06-23-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #18696
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

Frattin is pretty good- has a good shot and a really good base/center of gravity. However, he's only looked good offensively playing with nazem kadri and is more of a borderline 2nd/3rd liner due to his suspect game sense. Scrivens was basically a puck moving free wallet goalie. He was decent, but not good enough to ply the job away from Reimer. That 2nd rounder hurts a little because I'm a sucker for drafting players, but the rumors suggested that it could have been a first. Bernier is that high risk/high potential prospect and Toronto did not exactly part with any core pieces.

Quote:

I'm a leafs fan. They're not top 5 in the east. The standings may reflect it, but their defense needs refining because the D can't make passes to the neutral zone (Boston exposed this in game 1).
I watched game seven in its entirety as well as most of the series. What it demonstrated was Toronto's real weakness for the past five years- The non-presence (lack of a better word) of a stay-at-home defenseman who can clear the crease. In the last ten minutes of the game, Carlyle's system broke down. Remember, Carlyle's system is predicated on forcing perimeter shots and most of the goals in game seven were very close shots. Boston set up screens, crashed the net and the leafs d-men could not clear the crease or make the right plays. There was even a goal where Zdeno Chara screened James Reimer. Reimer was really the reason why the leafs got so far.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #18697

Quote:
Almost ridiculous as comparing Brunnstrom to Gretzky in 1 game...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #18698

Quote:

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #18699

Quote:
luckily i said someone else could and didnt do it myself
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #18700
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Who cares about reviews. Just look back at the teams he coached and their system.

I don't mind his blue collar style approach. North-south, no fancy pants bull shit.
Problem is the Canucks aren't built around a north-south hard working type of approach. They are a skill team effective at working east-west, at least in the past.

Quote:
IMO all he needed was a veteran goalie to mentor him one or two seasons and he'd become an above average NHL starter

Agreed, Nonis gave up too much for Bernier to become a backup. I think a bit of mentoring would have made Reimer above average as well, but I think they are hoping for the superstar bonafide NHL top 5 goalie and I'm not sure Reimer has that potential in him. Bernier and Reimer will basically get equal opportunity this year, the hotter goalie gets ridden. If Bernier doesn't surpass Reimer this season, I think his rights get moved next offseason to recoup some of what Nonis paid--basically a 1 year audition.

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
Lu may not have been formally asked to waive his NTC, but MG may have asked Lu "How do you feel about going to Toronto?" Lu: "I'd rather go to Florida, if there's a possibility going there I'm not going to Toronto".

I'm still not 100% on Schneider as full time starter either, good chance he succeeds, but he's never played a full season load nor had to deal with the ups and downs of a full season, extended slumps and losing streaks, his playoff performances so far have not been an upgarde over Lu IMO. Multiply 3-4x for Bernier. With Lu, he's a known quantity and you can build the rest of your team around what you know, and not what you hope for.
Closed Thread