REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #3451
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #3452
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Team canada 1972 was given their place on the canada walk of fame. Wonder how much Paul henderson was making to go out there sans helmet and walk all over the soviet team 3 games in a row. Some of these players today are just pathetic.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #3453
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Edler with a bulging disc on his back.
Edler injury revelation a troubling one

Let's hope they were able to identify it properly this time lol!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #3454
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Arent the Canucks one of the most hated teams in the league by players? Maybe they have every reason to drop everything and flee to europe to screw us over.
...and he strikes again
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #3455
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Team canada 1972 was given their place on the canada walk of fame. Wonder how much Paul henderson was making to go out there sans helmet and walk all over the soviet team 3 games in a row. Some of these players today are just pathetic.
You can't compare players from the 70's to the players of today.the players today,the majority of them only care about the money,this lockout is proof of that.

The old saying "for the love of the game " is long gone,now the new term should be " for the love of the money".
Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
You can't compare players from the 70's to the players of today.the players today,the majority of them only care about the money,this lockout is proof of that.

The old saying "for the love of the game " is long gone,now the new term should be " for the love of the money".
That was my point. That the players of old cared about the game. Cared about the thrill of being the best.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #3457
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

I strongly disagree when you say that the majority of players only care about money, I would say only a minority does. It's the owners that only care about money. Why do you think most of the stars went to KHL to play there? Because they still have a passion for hockey and just want to play the game, imagine the paycut they take to play in that league compared to the NHL. Bettman and NHL owners are the reason for the lockout. They want to take more money from players like they did in the last lockout but the players are simply standing up for themselves

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...g-plan-lockout

toews says it best "We saw what the (owners) did in '04-05, and who knows if they're willing to do that again," Toews said. "To me, it's just carelessness. It's them just trying to show everyone that they're the owners and they're the league. They can do whatever they want.

"If they want to hurt their own game and drive it into the ground, that's what they'll do. Even if it comes down to that, it doesn't matter as long as they get what they want."
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #3458
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I strongly disagree when you say that the majority of players only care about money, I would say only a minority does. It's the owners that only care about money. Why do you think most of the stars went to KHL to play there? Because they still have a passion for hockey and just want to play the game, imagine the paycut they take to play in that league compared to the NHL. Bettman and NHL owners are the reason for the lockout. They want to take more money from players like they did in the last lockout but the players are simply standing up for themselves
Of course it's all about the money for the owners,it's a business they paid for and just like any other busniess,they are there to make money,not break even or lose money.I can't even begin to imagine what the overhead is like in owning a NHL team.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #3459

Most of these owners are taking home less than their highest paid employees. Thats what you call a bad fucking business. If I were an owner I'd be telling my employees to suck my fucking dick if they thought they deserved more than me.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #3460
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Most of these owners are taking home less than their highest paid employees. Thats what you call a bad fucking business. If I were an owner I'd be telling my employees to suck my fucking dick if they thought they deserved more than me.
So which owners are these? I'd say most, if not all the teams owners take home substantially more than the players, given that most of them buy these teams as tax writeoffs.

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #3461
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
That was pretty good. Who is he?
At first, I thought it was just going to be an edited video of some guy asking questions and then getting responses from Luongo from one of his old interviews.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #3462
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

In response to the lockout, a few friends and I plan on putting com vs com games of NHL13 on the bigscreen on my campus every few days to have our own "season".
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #3463
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Right. But if you built a business, it means you probably have the knowledge and experience in an industry to do so. You could tell said employee to suck your dick and then do their job yourself while you found their replacement. Team owners can't do that. And if the player is making that much, its because another owner has paid someone else with a similar skillset that much in another city. Ain't the players fault. Owners are a big part of this mess and are still handing out 100M contracts in the 11th hour.

Fuck Gary Bettman and fuck the owners. They ass raped the players last time around. Players generate revenue. How bout they play a little nicer this time around so the paying customers, us, don't have to suffer through this BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #3464
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Right. But if you built a business, it means you probably have the knowledge and experience in an industry to do so. You could tell said employee to suck your dick and then do their job yourself while you found their replacement. Team owners can't do that. And if the player is making that much, its because another owner has paid someone else with a similar skillset that much in another city. Ain't the players fault. Owners are a big part of this mess and are still handing out 100M contracts in the 11th hour.

Fuck Gary Bettman and fuck the owners. They ass raped the players last time around. Players generate revenue. How bout they play a little nicer this time around so the paying customers, us, don't have to suffer through this BS.
Well said, i fully agree. But at the end of the day it's still Billionaires fighting with Millionaires, just get shit done.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #3465
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Few owners, if any at all, see their team as their primary source of investment income hence how they were able to acquire the money to purchase a franchise in the first place. Owning a team is about prestige, fulfilling a childhood fantasy, helping enhance their other businesses, etc.

Player salary isn't the big issue. The players will get their money and the owners will find ways to get it to them like they did with the last cba.

The biggest issue is the number of teams operating in the red because they stubbornly operate in cities which don't buy their product. The profitable teams are forced to prop up these failing teams season after season. To my knowledge the owners, behind Bettman, haven't brought league contraction and/or team relocation to the discussion. Rather than make the tough decisions that need to be made, they are going after the players yet again.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #3466
Big Drama Show

Quote:
lol, tell the owners to learn how to operate a fucking business better, then. If you're concerned about your employees making more than you, then don't hand out these retarded ass contracts (ie. Parise, Suter, Weber). If you're concerned about having other teams be far more superior than you, due to them "buying players," then step your business game up.

Three lockouts in less than 20 years. The NHL is a fucking joke. You don't see the MLB, or NFL have issues like this.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #3467

50/50 Split + full 82 game schedule offered by NHL

Any takers?

Quote:
The NHL put a new offer on the bargaining table for the NHL Players' Association on Tuesday morning, which includes a 50/50 split of hockey-related revenue across the board and contingent on an 82-game season beginning Nov. 2.

"We hope we've given our best shot," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

Bettman added that the offer calls for no salary rollback and the revised schedule - if implemented - would see every team play an extra game every five weeks.

Negotiations resumed Tuesday in Toronto in the NHL's labour dispute with the NHL Players Association - the first in five days following two days of meetings in New York last week. Key negotiators Bettman, Bill Daly and Donald and Steve Fehr were in attendance as both sides looked to start bridging the gap on core economic issues.

Both sides have communicated regularly since the lockout began on Sept. 15, but with little to no progress so far as the meetings have focused on non-core economic discussions.

Neither side had formally tabled an offer since Sept. 12.
NHL offers 50/50 split on HRR in proposal for NHLPA
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #3468
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Get a deal done!!!

-wanna see my Canucks play this season and have a hockey pool with my friends.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #3469
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Now they just have to define what aspects of the business will fall under "hockey related revenue" That's the big discrepancy.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #3470
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

So basically the league was just blowing smoke saying their 'best offer' just before the lockout deadline would be pulled off the table if the PA did not take it. Bluff called, lol

To me it's been quite clear that 50/50 was what both sides was realistically shooting for, too bad it took so long to get there. The last league offer defined HRR under the current terms, so unless the owners are trying to pinch every penny at this point and now decide to REdefine HRR, a deal should be on the horizon.

This still doesn't solve any fundamental issues with teams operating at a loss though, and in 6 years the league likely won't see the same level of current growth and the teams already losing money will stand to lose even more. The next round of CBA negotiations will likely be even nastier.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #3471
UFO

Quote:
I don't see how this lockout proves that at all. The players are playing off of a CBA pretty much imposed on them during the previous lockout. They got collectively owned back then, and caved to the owners' demands. So league revenues grow by 50% over the next 6 years, but the league comes back and says "We're not doing so good, we need to cut your salaries by 15% to be sustainable (so we can make more money)" while offering these same players 10+ year 100M+ contracts at the exact same time. You think Minny's owner was telling Parise and Suter to suck his dick for making more money than him? He was probably sucking Parise and Suter's dick to get them to sign in Minny.

If anything, to me this lockout is proof of the owners' greed.

On a completed unrelated note, interesting how Canucks have been continuing to pay Edler, Kesler, and Garrison their contracts during the lockout due to injuries sustained while 'in play'. GMMG keeping the boys happy
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #3472

Thanked 2,284 Times in 186 Posts
dumb question, but all the players going to europe to play can just come back like that if a season were to happen? or is it some short contract agreement?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #3473
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akalic View Post
dumb question, but all the players going to europe to play can just come back like that if a season were to happen? or is it some short contract agreement?
They will have out clauses in their contracts.

NHL tables new offer with 50/50 split and start of season on November 2nd.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

Last edited by Expresso; 10-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #3474

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
They will have out clauses in their contracts.

EDIT: NHL tables new offer with 50/50 split and start of season on November 2nd.
out clauses? what does that mean..
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #3475
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
out clauses? what does that mean..
notsureifsrs

many players playing overseas have an out clause in their contracts that let them return to the NHL, once the season begins
Closed Thread