REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #3526
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUU

I miss hockey really badly
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #3527
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

City of Edmonton has thrown out the proposal for their new rink. Good on them, Katz was trying to strong-arm them into the deal and reaping the benefits himself.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #3528
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Katz is a crook. Make the city build the arena and Katz gets like 99% of the revenue
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #3529
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

good on the city of Edmonton
Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #3530
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Bieksa's Buddies game was pretty fun!

felt a bit bad for Schneids.. 2 goals on 2 harmless shots haha
Volpatti played D... but had a HUGE offensive output tonight(2 goals and one HUGE pass to spring the twins)
Marty Nash can fucking pass the puck... I guess anyone in the Nash family can dish passes with near perfection
Marty Bieksa was setup big time from the twins

It was charity, but it seems Tanner Glass and Lappy wanted to go 110%
The team went all out in the 3rd after shooting at a brick wall in the UBC goalie

Buble wimped out so he didnt skate with the twins
Willie Mitchell didnt dress as some people reported
They messed up Malhotra's jersey, it was spelt "Maholtra"
The Sedins STILL can't do shootouts.. and Dan Hamhuis pulled the "forsberg" with near perfection

hahah

Last edited by Tim Budong; 10-18-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #3531
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Very good piece on Kevin Bieksa in The Province

Quote:
Kevin Bieksa could have easily sat on the sidelines and nobody would have raised an eyebrow.

After his tireless efforts to remember the late Rick Rypien by becoming a mindcheck.ca website spokesman, bringing public awareness and support those struggling with mental health issues, the Vancouver Canucks defenceman could have continued to work out and await a resolution to the current NHL lockout.

Bieksa isn't wired that way. Taught to think of others first, Biek-sa went to Crowsnest Pass, Alta., on Aug. 15 to participate in a Goals and Dreams event and a Rypien charity game to mark the one-year passing of his troubled close friend, who would often confide in the bluelin-er he thought of as a brother.

Bieksa then convinced Rypien's mother, Shelley Crawford, to play in the Raise-It-4-Ryp charity golf tournament on Sept. 4 in Richmond before becoming the driving force behind the sold-out Biek-sa's Buddies charity game Wednesday at UBC.

As much as it gave 5,000 fans a glimpse of their hockey heroes who took on the Thunderbirds, it also aided three charities - The Canucks Autism Network, Canucks Family Education Centre and Canuck Place hospice - who have been affected without NHL games to draw funds from.

When all of the $20 charity-game tickets were snapped up in 20 minutes, it ensured a minimum $100,000 would be raised. It also raised Biek-sa's profile. Known to play with a chip on his shoulder, it's the size of his heart that has made a good player an even better person. His wife, Katie, is also involved in the charities and with children Cole, 4, and Reese, 3, they've have made Vancouver much more than just a place where Bieksa earns a living.

"From the first time I met him when he was a rookie, he was always wonderful with the children and was first to put his hand up and say 'I'll do it,' " recalled Debbie Butt, director of communications and marketing for Canuck Place.

"He motivates others to give back. The charity game took a lot because you've got to stick your neck out sometimes and take a risk. It's pretty amazing. He was at every meeting, and even at 11 p.m., he'd be emailing me about this or that because he cares so much. It's part of who he is, it's part of his fibre.

"He's a natural leader and when he eventually leaves the game, some organization is going to be really lucky to have him. He's got lots to offer the world. He could be anything."

Bieksa cited Trevor Linden as a role model because the former Canucks captain gave everything he had to the game but always found time to give to others. With successful businesses in the Lower Mainland, he's blazing a trail that Bieksa would like to follow in some manner. The charity game was a step in that direction.

"It's something I wanted to do," stressed Bieksa. "I talked with my dad (Al) about the challenges of growing up and it was kind of the way I was raised, to help out and give back. I've done it before and I'll continue to do it in the future. For me, it's fulfilling to help people out and charities that my wife and I have worked with before.

"I'm in the position where we can go on the ice and raise money for charity and for me, it seems like a no-brainer to impact a lot of families in B.C."

At 31, Bieksa has the security of four more contract years at a $4.6 million US annual salary cap hit, but expects to maintain a charitable presence when his career ends. He was born in Grimsby, Ont., but Vancouver is home.

"I don't look too far ahead, but I know it's something I'll do at some point," he said. "Trevor took a year to evaluate things and relax and do some things he wasn't able to do with the hockey season and training. He's involved in a lot of charities and in business. I imagine I'll be much the same."

Or maybe greater. Bieksa has a passing interest in politics and judging by his charitable endeavours, presence and poise, he could probably run for office. And probably win.

"Not right now," he chuckled. "It intrigues me at times, for sure. Maybe in the future - who knows?"

If anything, the Bieksa's Buddies project proved he could handle a surprising workload that went far beyond game operations. Scalpers became a thorny issue that he handled with such composure, that a few guilty profiteers even returned tickets to radio stations to help raise funds.

"I had a great team and everybody pulled their weight and went above and beyond of what was expected to pull off a pretty remarkable game in two-and-a-half weeks," summed up Bieksa.

Remarkable indeed.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Bi...#ixzz29gILxenm
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #3532
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

NHL rejects players counter-proposal and Bettman says its a step backwards

waiting for details now
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #3533
My homepage has been set to RS

Argh. With this, chances for an NHL season this year are looking grim. I'm guessing the NHLPA proposed something like 55/45, which is still quite far off from 50/50. Starting to side with the owners here, 50/50 is not terribly unreasonable and even a LITTLE push back may have worked: IE: 51/49, 52/48.

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Bettman confirms NHLPA made three counter proposals. Says none of them "even began to approach 50-50." Not encouraged

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Bettman says the league and union are not speaking the same language. Concerned by lack of progress.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Bettman says today's offers "nowhere close" to what league offered Tuesday

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
RT @drosennhl: Bettman says it is clear they are not speaking the same language. He says he thinks today was a step backwards.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #3534
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Spoiler!

Last night's game was fun to watch.

Schneider had 0% save percentage for most of the 1st period, and the score was 2-2...

SsSsSsSsSsSsSssSsSsSsSsSsSsS

Last edited by TRDood; 10-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #3535
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
If the PA declines this offer 50/50, bring on the replacement players.

Starting with new develop prospects in the 2013 draft will be our future superstars, existing high roll players can go Europe or stay with a pay cut. Then the only thing that matters will be World Championships (huge in Europe) and Olympics.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #3536
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Argh. With this, chances for an NHL season this year are looking grim. I'm guessing the NHLPA proposed something like 55/45, which is still quite far off from 50/50. Starting to side with the owners here, 50/50 is not terribly unreasonable and even a LITTLE push back may have worked: IE: 51/49, 52/48.
its clear that Donald Fehr has no interest on playing fair game... Who knows, but this is a man that managed to gather players in the MLBPA to cancel a World Series...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #3537
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

live presser here from the PA
im holding back a bit of judgement until I hear what the PA really has to say

TSN - Live Player
Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #3538
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
the problem Isnt the 50/50 revenue sharing, the problem is salary rollbacks and the other things the nhl wants from the PA. For everyone to think its all about the revenue have to do some homework
Before they comment on the situation
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #3539
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

As long as the NHL agrees to keep current players salary, 50/50 is no problem
hmm
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #3540
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

lol..yeah right fehr..the season is over..
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #3541
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Luongo going to the Maple Leafs?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #3542
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Door #3

50/50 is possible as long as all salaries are honored with no escrow
seems fair to me..
I dont even know which side to believe anymore.
I hope the PA publicize the counter proposals

*EDIT* Fehr would like to standardize or make clear on what HRR really is... hahaha
Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #3543
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
As long as the NHL agrees to keep current players salary, 50/50 is no problem
hmm
This was news to me. So the NHL/Owners intend to amend current contracts and pay them less? Sounds kind of dumb to offer players the moon then say we are taking 10-20% back in the next CBA.

The other thing about the NHL offer was to lower the cap back to $59.9M and giving teams a grace period of one year at $70.2M, if they are over.

Last edited by Expresso; 10-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3544
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
There is so much fine print that we are not privy to its almost useless to talk about it
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #3545
My homepage has been set to RS

^

True, though hockey talk is still hockey talk haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
the problem Isnt the 50/50 revenue sharing, the problem is salary rollbacks and the other things the nhl wants from the PA. For everyone to think its all about the revenue have to do some homework
Before they comment on the situation
Posted via RS Mobile
Comments were based on initial twitter reactions/reports. I don't see why we can't comment on the situation, and regardless we don't have access to the PA's proposals so doing our "homework" doesn't really matter that much.

I was expecting the PA to push back with keeping much of the current CBA similar to how it is (no salary rollback, the ELC changes, etc) but be closer to the 50/50, but apparently not.

EDIT:

Looks like that's what they proposed.

Quote:
devin setoguchi ‏@Dsetoguchi10
Proposal 3 50/50 split as long as owners honor contracts that have already been handed out..don't understand how u can take back a contract

Kevin Westgarth ‏@KWesty19
Bettman's characterization of our proposal is false. We achieve 50% in every option presented.Over $1B/5yrs in concessions from #theplayers

Last edited by kristianhay; 10-18-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #3546
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
IMO you have to honor current contracts. So you're telling me that Minny waved a massive amount of money at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to come home and betray their new "homes" and now they don't get the cash? Sorry but it can't be both ways, owners. You can't say you're losing money and also hand out $100m contracts that literally change the balance of power in the NHL. And it would be an even douchier move to take the money back after.

50/50, keep contracts or small rollback as a compromise, talk about moving teams from shit markets to good ones. Job done. You're welcome. Let's fucking play some hockey already.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #3547
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
IMO you have to honor current contracts. So you're telling me that Minny waved a massive amount of money at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to come home and betray their new "homes" and now they don't get the cash? Sorry but it can't be both ways, owners. You can't say you're losing money and also hand out $100m contracts that literally change the balance of power in the NHL. And it would be an even douchier move to take the money back after.

50/50, keep contracts or small rollback as a compromise, talk about moving teams from shit markets to good ones. Job done. You're welcome. Let's fucking play some hockey already.
Posted via RS Mobile
this will never happen
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #3548
UFO

From the owners on Tuesday: Bettman has offered the players a plan which would includes a 50-50 split in all hockey related revenues and no salary rollback

From the PA today: the third hits the 50-50 hockey related revenue split immediately, but only if the owners honor all current contracts at 100%.

From Bettman today: none of the offers "even began to approach 50-50" and said he's concerned that it's a step back. "It's clear we're not speaking the same language," said Bettman. "I am concerned we are not progressing. This is the best offer that we have to make," Bettman said of the proposal from the league earlier this week. "The fact is, we're nowhere close to what we proposed."

WTF, is anybody else confused? What were the owners REALLY offering when they said 50/50 split and no salary rollbacks? Did they mean no salary rollbacks this year and next year they get rolled back? Are they going to amend all the 10 year contracts signed this summer and previously to the 5 year max? Owners pulled a good PR move a couple of days ago, got everybody all pissed off at the players. Now it just seems like the owners have shot themselves in the foot.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #3549
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Not sure how you reduce the players portion of HRR from 57% to 50% and not expect at least some salary roll back.

There has to be like $12million in salary cap reduction. So players have to take a roll back this year. Hell, revenue may increase next year to a point where at 50%, total salaries are where they were last year. But not if there is no season.

And thats not to mention what happens if this season is lost and growth momentum reverses and revenue drops and the cap goes down next year. now you've got like 2.1billion worth of salaries that can only fit into 1.8billion worth of cap space.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #3550
UFO

As I understand it 57% allows every team to spend to the cap ceiling. Some teams struggle to even hit the cap floor, some are in the middle, and there are a few who spend right up to the ceiling. So in reality the players' share is less than 57% because not every team is at the cap ceiling.

The owners' offer Tuesday seemed fair and reasonable, but based on their response today, it sounds like they were trying to milk the players but just not letting the rest of us know.

I really want to know more about this:
Quote:
the third hits the 50-50 hockey related revenue split immediately, but only if the owners honor all current contracts at 100%
Why did the PA not stipulate what the full details of the owners' offer was to make them ask for that? Because to me that sounds exactly like what the owners had offered up.

Maybe what the owners wanted was to take the average annual salary for whatever player on their 10 year contract, and make it only 5 years. So Shea Weber and his 14 year 110M contract, would now be the maximum 5 year 39.3M contract under new terms. So technically it's not considered a salary rollback since the average value is still the same, and prompted the PA to ask that all contracts be honoured 100% and Bettman to tell them to GTFO
Closed Thread