REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #676
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Schultz would be good signing as a free asset, but not going to get too excited about him yet. Remember the last hot free agent NCAA defenseman that every team was after and all the media was proclaiming to be a great NHLer, ya Matt Gilroy.
Big difference is Gilroy is undrafted while Shultz went 43rd overall. People knew he was good long before he decides not to sign with Anaheim.
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #677
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
FABIAN BRUUNSTROM OMGSSSZZZZZZZZZZZ
lol. I was like ...

Then he gets hattrick in his debut game. I'm like wE MISSsed OUTT!!

But that was pretty much his highlight of his career so far...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #678
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
didn't schultz grow up as a canucks fan too?
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #679
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #680
CPE
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I know a lot of you guys follow @strombone1 on twitter (alleged Luongo account), but I thought I'd share some of his recent tweets because they are quite funny.

Quote:
Sooooooo....... Does this JVR character play goal?
Quote:
I fucking love shootouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #EURO2012
Quote:
Love love love Chelsea dagger more than @D_Booth7 loves "call me maybe" #favoritesong
Quote:
Can someone help me out with the twitter. I'm kinda new at this. Twitter+Source= Fact? I knew I shoulda finished college!
Quote:
Just out of curiosity.... Do they play "Chelsea Dagger" during Chicago Wolves games too? Nahhhhh never mind I'd rather not know
Quote:
I think we need to take the time to recognize who the real winners are of the NHL award show....The people who didn't get to watch it #zzzzz
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #681

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Ultimately his choices are to play for a Canadian team:

If Toronto:
- He gets to play with his buddy Gardiner
- Media pressured city
- "Guaranteed" a top 4 pairing

If Edmonton:
- "Guaranteed" a top 4 pairing
- On a young team with the "big 4"
- Shitty team still lolol

If Vancouver:
- Will only get a bottom pairing spot / 2nd pairing with Edler. Not guaranteed anything cause AV doesn't trust rookies and is a retard overall
- Gets to play for a winning team
- Gets to play in his home town

If he wants to play for a winning team, Vancouver

If he wants to play for a team that will give him top 4 minutes, Edmonton

If he wants to play with his buddy Gardiner, Toronto
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #682
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Lifting a cup with your home team would be a dream come true
Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #683
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
didn't schultz grow up as a canucks fan too?
hopefully that's enough of a reason for him to want to come here

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #684
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Removing blind homerism goggles and thinking hockey decision, I have still come to this conclusion:

If its between those 3 cities, how could he not choose Vancouver?

Toronto is a mess and regardless of the talent brewing in Edmonton, they can't keep those names there very long, they're in no position to make a run soon and the city SUCKS.

Canucks organization is in great shape right now and Schultz knows its also an awesome place to live. Unless a team offers a boatload more cash, you'd have to go full retard to choose Edmonton or Toronto over Van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #685
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Removing blind homerism goggles and thinking hockey decision, I have still come to this conclusion:

If its between those 3 cities, how could he not choose Vancouver?

Toronto is a mess and regardless of the talent brewing in Edmonton, they can't keep those names there very long, they're in no position to make a run soon and the city SUCKS.

Canucks organization is in great shape right now and Schultz knows its also an awesome place to live. Unless a team offers a boatload more cash, you'd have to go full retard to choose Edmonton or Toronto over Van.
It depends on him. Some people are such fans of certain teams, they will go there no matter what. The fact that Luongo is actually considering Toronto is absolutely mind-blowing. If he thinks Vancouver is a circus, it's nothing compared to that city and organization.

It could also come down to play time. Everyone knows it's hard to get minutes as a rookie under AV, and the Canucks D is already deep. He is looking at top 6 AT BEST, with maybe some time on the PP occasionally. Even if he proves to be really good, he will have to swallow tons of pride to get any more ice time than that.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #686
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It depends on him. Some people are such fans of certain teams, they will go there no matter what. The fact that Luongo is actually considering Toronto is absolutely mind-blowing. If he thinks Vancouver is a circus, it's nothing compared to that city and organization.

It could also come down to play time. Everyone knows it's hard to get minutes as a rookie under AV, and the Canucks D is already deep. He is looking at top 6 AT BEST, with maybe some time on the PP occasionally. Even if he proves to be really good, he will have to swallow tons of pride to get any more ice time than that.
I agree. In Toronto and especially in Edmonton with the youth movement, he'll get tons of playing time and have a little more lee-way in making mistakes.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #687
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Yea the one thing working against the Canucks' in the Schultz sweepstakes is likely the defensive depth here and that AV's track record with rookies/young players

Quote:
“We've contacted his agents to express the Detroit Red Wings are interested in signing him to a contract,'' general manager Ken Holland told M-Live.com. “We think there's a tremendous opportunity in Detroit.''

“I like that he's 22 (soon), he skates well, he's close to being an NHL defenseman,'' Holland said. “We're prepared to give him the opportunity to be on our team.

“With the loss of Nicklas Lidstrom (retirement) and Brad Stuart (signed with San Jose), there's a tremendous opportunity. We're trying to rebuild on the fly. We think he would be a good fit.''

Schultz and Red Wings' top defense prospect Brendan Smith were teammates at Wisconsin for one season. The Red Wings expect Smith, who played 17 games in Detroit this past season, to be in their everyday lineup in 2012-13. Holland said he would have no qualms about having two rookie defensemen in his top six.

Opportunity, not money, will be the deciding factor in securing Schultz. The Red Wings are prepared to guarantee him a roster spot at the start of the season, something every team that pursues him will need to do.

Schultz's contract will be the same wherever he goes. He is restricted to a two-year, two-way entry-level deal with a base NHL salary of $925,000. His team must make a $3.8 million salary-cap commitment, however, due to potential bonuses, many of which are not realistically attainable.

His AHL salary would be $67,500. So it's clear why he wouldn't want to spend any time in the minors if he doesn't have to.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....their_pur.html

Quote:
Neither the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ducks nor his agency, Newport, would discuss it, but heard Anaheim allowed Toronto a window to try and sign him at the draft (There would have been some draft-pick compensation in return). He wants to test free agency and passed.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #688
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If it was based on hockey alone, I would want to play for Edmonton. This kid would get PP time quarterbacking from the point, he would get top 4 minutes and be playing with guys his age and could grow with them. Also, he's not going to get a long term contract, more so in the 3-5 year range so, he would want a team where he could showcase his talents. Those reasons alone, I would think Edmonton.

That being said, he could learn a lot about hockey playing for a successful veteran team like the Canucks. Put with AVs track record with younger players, would you want to play for him?

Maybe not qualifying Rome and the others was window dressing to show he could have a spot on the team. Who knows. It would be great to have a BC boy on the Canucks, especially a dman.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #689

What are the chances, Burke makes an offer sheet to the Canucks for Cory? Burke has been on both sides of the coin. Given Gillis' and Burke's relationship, they may headline the next out door classic in a steel cage match...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #690
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
They already qualified him, not sure if that means he's safe from offer sheets
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
They already qualified him, not sure if that means he's safe from offer sheets
I think that just means Canucks have first dibs in negoitations.

Players who are no longer considered "entry-level" but do not qualify as unrestricted free agents become restricted free agents when their contracts expire.

The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player.

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent.

If he doesn't sign before June 30, teams have a window of June 1 to 5 to make offer sheets. Can someone verify?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #692

^

Canucks will match any offer and the other GM will just look like an asshat.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #693
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
By qualifying Schneider, Canucks just prevent him from becoming a UFA now and retain his rights, teams are still allowed to offer sheet RFAs. I think there will a number of GMs tempted to throw an offer sheet at Schneider, young capable #1 goaltenders are a rare special commodity.

One thing that will be stopping GMs from offer sheeting players this year is no one wants to lose high 2013 draft picks. The 2013 draft is supposed to be the deepest high talent draft since the 2003 draft, with pretty much all scouts saying top end talent reaches into the 2nd round and solid talent into 3rd at least.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #694
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
By qualifying Schneider, Canucks just prevent him from becoming a UFA now and retain his rights, teams are still allowed to offer sheet RFAs. I think there will a number of GMs tempted to throw an offer sheet at Schneider, young capable #1 goaltenders are a rare special commodity.

One thing that will be stopping GMs from offer sheeting players this year is no one wants to lose high 2013 draft picks. The 2013 draft is supposed to be the deepest high talent draft since the 2003 draft, with pretty much all scouts saying top end talent reaches into the 2nd round and solid talent into 3rd at least.
Yet somehow I think Calgary will still fuck up and make a shitty pick
Old 06-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #695
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yet somehow I think Calgary will still fuck up and make a shitty pick
Its not like the Canucks are teaming with hot prospects!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #696
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Lots of rumors going around today with the Canucks. Hearing some pretty legit things about Ballard being traded and the Canucks pushing for Schultz.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #697
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
That would be nice to move Ballard to make room. As well to free up cap space...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Lots of rumors going around today with the Canucks. Hearing some pretty legit things about Ballard being traded and the Canucks pushing for Schultz.
Any links to the Ballard rumors? I haven't found anything.

I'd like to see:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Schultz
Ballard - Tanev/Salo

Bigger news.

Quote:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun says Panthers ownership has okayed taking on a salary like Roberto Luongo's.
Was just on 1040. Contract is not an issue there. Puts pressure on Burke as well.

Last edited by kristianhay; 06-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #699

A team looking to meet the cap floor may be interested in Ballard. As crazy as it sounds, a team may even trade for Thomas so they can have his salary on the books against the cap.

Me thinking out loud. While I know Burke has no intentions of moving Gardiner, imagine Gillis making an offer to send Luongo and Ballard to Toronto for Gardiner and some other pieces. That would help court Shultz to sign with the Canucks too. Our d would look a lot younger with that though.

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 06-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #700
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Hopefully the canucks sign schultz... there are too many good bc born players not playing for the canucks. Look at the habs, there's some pretty good local talent on that team.
Closed Thread