REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Lance Armstrong faces doping charges (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669530-lance-armstrong-faces-doping-charges.html)

Jer3 06-13-2012 04:47 PM

Lance Armstrong faces doping charges

Lance Armstrong could be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and is banned from competing as a triathlete as a result of new doping charges brought against him by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

A 15-page USADA charging letter first obtained by the Washington Post made new allegations against Armstrong, contending the agency collected 2009 and 2010 blood samples from Armstrong identified as "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions."

Armstrong has not previously tested positive for such transgressions.

Source: U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brings charges against Lance Armstrong - latimes.com

Redlines_Daily 06-13-2012 05:00 PM

EPO offers a huge advantage to athletes by improving exercise capacity, oxygen uptake, respiration, and energy efficiency. If he did indeed take it then he sure deserves to be stripped of his titles. Hope it's not true though, seems like a good guy.

b0unce. [?] 06-13-2012 05:02 PM

doubt it will happen.

StylinRed 06-13-2012 05:22 PM

they've been accusing him of doping for years

mmmk 06-13-2012 06:49 PM

Another article:
Lance Armstrong responds to agency's doping allegations - CNN.com

If he was cheating, they would have proved it by now.
Allegations don't mean nothing...c'mon now.
:rukidding:

GLOW 06-13-2012 07:45 PM

isn't the guy retired? people need to stop drinking this...

http://www.discobelle.net/wp-content...9/haterade.gif

RRxtar 06-13-2012 08:12 PM

from what i understand from talking to a few people in the higher level cycling world, its fairly well known he was on PEDs the whole time along with the majority of riders and its only a matter of time before it all comes out. retired or not.

woob 06-13-2012 08:19 PM

What else is new?

80% of the pro peloton was doping during the years Lance raced (note: not a factual statistic). They called those years the "Robocop" years for a reason. Lance probably was. I don't disparage him for it, though, since I'm pretty sure Ullrich (2nd place in 3 of Lance's TdF wins) and Pantani were doping as well so the playing field was more or less even.

I think outing Lance now would do cycling more harm than good. Give up already.

EDIT: Ullrich has publicly admitted to doping. Here's a reddit comment that shows that most of the 2nd and 3rd place riders in Lance's Tour wins were also doping or suspected of doping:

Quote:

Fine, take away his titles. Let's go ahead and give them to the runners-up.

1999: Alex Zuelle (involved in the Festina affair)
2000: Ullrich (has now admitted to doping)
2001: Ullrich
2002: Beloki (rode for Once which had a teamwide doping program)
2003: Ullrich
2004: Andreas Kloden (Freiburg scandal)
2005: Ivan Basso (Puerto and has since confessed)

Oh shit. Guess we have to go to the third-placed rider.

1999: Fernado Escartin (rode for Kelme which disbanded upon discovery of a teamwide program)
2000: Beloki
2001: Beloki
2002: Raimondas Rumsas (police found steroids, epo, and other stuff in his wife's car on the final day of the tour)
2003: Vino (busted later)
2004: Basso
2005: Ullrich oops he's been DQ'd for that. Francisco Mancebo (Puerto)

Z3guy 06-13-2012 08:47 PM

So everyone else in the top 10 were doping, but lance wasn't? Give me a break.....lance is a farce.......he's going down.......getting what he deserves....

woob 06-13-2012 09:17 PM

No. I'm not denying that he was doping. In fact I said the opposite.

However, since the rest of the field is also doping, IMO it doesn't matter.

MK-EK 06-13-2012 09:48 PM

i say let him keep his titles!

the man did it with 1 nut! :fullofwin:

http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordp...-one-ball1.jpg

The_AK 06-14-2012 08:56 AM

So why is only now that they're conducting these tests? Don't doping tests need to be completed after a race? Isn't it too late to test now? And why are they saying all seven? Can they tell when he started doping?

G-spec 06-14-2012 10:21 AM

did the timeline of his doping coincide with his cancer treatments ?

because I'm sure though illegal people would understand and be more sympathetic if he doped just to get back to normal because obviously cancer treatments weaken you, and the dude is a professional athlete, he needed to get back to his normal shape.

Z3guy 06-14-2012 11:33 AM

the only reason Lance hasn't been ousted yet because the money he has raised for cancer research and treatment. If he goes down, so does his ability to raise money for Cancer.

The fact he declares he never has taken performance enhancing is a joke. I would respect him more if the came clean and focused on ridding the sport PEDs. His righteous attitude is a joke when deep down he knows he is lying.....

Pooface55 06-14-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 7947208)
So why is only now that they're conducting these tests? Don't doping tests need to be completed after a race? Isn't it too late to test now? And why are they saying all seven? Can they tell when he started doping?

Maybe the drugs he was using were undetectable at the time and now the drug testers have new methods?

Either way, 7 time champion by beating guys who have been doping. Obviously he was on something. :)

mikemhg 06-14-2012 03:55 PM

Who gives a shit? Jesus, it's mind blowing their is a government agency for this bullshit.

For fuck sakes they bring Baseball players all the way to the level of Congress over doping in the god damn stupid stick and ball game.

Meanwhile white collar criminals in the financial sector are left un-touched by Congress.

Fucked up priorities we have in this world, we're a strange ass species.

spyker 06-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 7947556)
Who gives a shit? Jesus, it's mind blowing their is a government agency for this bullshit.

For fuck sakes they bring Baseball players all the way to the level of Congress over doping in the god damn stupid stick and ball game.

Meanwhile white collar criminals in the financial sector are left un-touched by Congress.

Congress are the white collar criminals,they would never investigate or prosecute themselves.

Using athletes on doping accusations is just a diversion to keep the heat away from what they are doing,it seems to work pretty well.

StylinRed 06-14-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 7947208)

he's been given hundreds of drug tests and passed em all

anyway here's Lances statement regarding this

Quote:

"I have been notified that USADA, an organization largely funded by taxpayer dollars but governed only by self-written rules, intends to again dredge up discredited allegations dating back more than 16 years to prevent me from competing as a triathlete and try and strip me of the seven Tour de France victories I earned.

"These are the very same charges and the same witnesses that the Justice Department chose not to pursue after a two-year investigation. These charges are baseless, motivated by spite and advanced through testimony bought and paid for by promises of anonymity and immunity.

"Although USADA alleges a wide-ranging conspiracy extended over more than 16 years, I am the only athlete it has chosen to charge. USADA's malice, its methods, its star-chamber practices, and its decision to punish first and adjudicate later all are at odds with our ideals of fairness and fair play.

"I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one.

"That USADA ignores this fundamental distinction and charges me instead of the admitted dopers says far more about USADA, its lack of fairness and this vendetta than it does about my guilt or innocence."

Read more: Lance Armstrong's statement on new doping allegations

mmmk 06-14-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3guy (Post 7947339)
the only reason Lance hasn't been ousted yet because the money he has raised for cancer research and treatment. If he goes down, so does his ability to raise money for Cancer.

The fact he declares he never has taken performance enhancing is a joke. I would respect him more if the came clean and focused on ridding the sport PEDs. His righteous attitude is a joke when deep down he knows he is lying.....

So...why are they having such a hard time proving it?
All these allegations, all these drug tests don't mean anything until they can prove something.

SkinnyPupp 06-14-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

I came in here to say exactly the same thing. How much time and money have they spent on this? :fulloffuck:

Great68 06-14-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Fucked up priorities they have in the USA, they're a strange ass country.

Fixed.

hal0g0dv2 08-23-2012 08:44 PM

bump

USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour titles - Yahoo! Sports Canada

StylinRed 08-23-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 (Post 8011454)

interesting

Quote:

Still to be heard from was the sport's governing body, the International Cycling Union, which had backed Armstrong's legal challenge to USADA's authority and in theory could take the case before the international Court of Arbitration for Sport.

optiblue 08-23-2012 09:48 PM

interesting~ makes you wonder how many other athletes are using currently undetectable substances!

G-spec 08-23-2012 10:11 PM

wait, like he said he passed his tests and was clean and the doping agencies have no proof to the contrary, so how the fuck does it work out that they can just strip him off his titles JUST because he quit the lawsuit against these assholes.....

damn that's some shit right there, lulz quote of the day

"USADA reacted quickly and treated Armstrong's decision as an admission of guilt"