REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   harley davidson night rod (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669665-harley-davidson-night-rod.html)

ws6ta 06-16-2012 02:58 PM

harley davidson night rod

i've always wanted to get a motorcycle (not a crotch rocket) but never really got around to it.

educate me on this bike. I saw a few of them in montreal and fell in love with it. never seen one around here though.

how hard would it be to ride this bike for someone that doesn't have experience (obviously after going to school to learn how to ride)

I wouldn't ride everyday. once in a while on a nice evening in the summer.

http://www.motoprogress.com/photo/HA...ial-2012-3.jpg

fT-z33wor 06-16-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 7949440)
i've always wanted to get a motorcycle (not a crotch rocket) but never really got around to it.

educate me on this bike. I saw a few of them in montreal and fell in love with it. never seen one around here though.

how hard would it be to ride this bike for someone that doesn't have experience (obviously after going to school to learn how to ride)

http://www.motoprogress.com/photo/HA...ial-2012-3.jpg

Harley's, breaking everything but the speed limit :lol

All jokes aside I have no idea how this would be for a first bike. The guys behind me at the shop are saying its going to have a bit of weight to it though, so be prepared to put some work in handling it at low speeds.
Apparently its got quite some kick to it, so its unspoken that it will be a tad less forgiving.
Looks really comfortable to ride though.

Jas29 06-16-2012 05:00 PM

The Harley Davidson store in Langley has 1 but its sold. I was just in there yesterday looking at it they are getting another 1 in a week or 2 according to the salesman

its a 1250cc bike don't think you would want to learn on a bike with that much power

Vale46Rossi 06-16-2012 05:02 PM

Get the Ducati Diavel! It's nice.

bcrdukes 06-16-2012 05:15 PM

If this is simply a sunny day summer time evening toy (and lol @ this season btw) I wouldn't recommend such a large bike to cruise around in.

Then again, your signature suggests that it's not a problem. :D

Araaadi 06-16-2012 05:31 PM

My uncle in sydney just bought one. He has a gsxr 1000cc too, and he said the harley is his cruising and relaxing bike.

CharlieH 06-16-2012 05:36 PM

its one of the fastest harleys you can get. its part of the v rod lineup so it's not the heaviest, but it's not as light as a sportster either. should be a little easier to ride than most harleys because its handlebars are positioned in a sportier stance

6793026 06-17-2012 07:29 AM

first of all, the V Rod is the "silver" ones, this NIGHT rod is just a "black" version of it.

Don't worry about the speed etc. HD never disclose the horse power on their bikes.

also... make sure you're a good 6 ft tall, you need to fully extend your legs and be tall enough to even tough the forward controls and have a long reach. Just an FYI.

ziggyx 06-17-2012 08:01 AM

^ they have kits to move the pedals for shorter people.

I know because I asked lol. Aside from the ducati diavel this would be my second choice for a bike. It looks awesome.

I remember I would never consider a harley until I saw a v-rod around town. Went to check out harleys for the first time and saw a night rod special and immediately loved how it looks.

Not sure how it would be for a first bike though. I would imagine it can't be harder than riding a sport bike and I definitely had a lot of trouble on a sport bike when I first started.

ws6ta 06-17-2012 08:56 AM

I don't want to fall off the thing and break my legs.

I talked to a few people and they keep saying the same thing "I don't know how it'll be for a first bike"

I am 5'10 if height makes a difference.

ws6ta 06-17-2012 08:57 AM

is this the ducati you guys are talking about?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-c...-designs-1.jpg

would it be easier to ride then the harley?

looks sick!

Vale46Rossi 06-17-2012 11:59 AM

^

This is from the sick cars in vancouver thread :

Quote:

Originally Posted by akinari-kun (Post 7935986)

Klobbersaurus 06-17-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas29 (Post 7949534)
The Harley Davidson store in Langley has 1 but its sold. I was just in there yesterday looking at it they are getting another 1 in a week or 2 according to the salesman

its a 1250cc bike don't think you would want to learn on a bike with that much power

its 1250cc is a big motor but its all torque, i wanted to get a NRS but my legs arent long enough to reach the pegs, my other option was a Vmax but i ended up with another GSXR, the vmax has almost 200hp at the wheels

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...aha%20Vmax.jpg

6793026 06-18-2012 08:09 AM

yes, they do have shorter kits for shorter people but they are still a bitch to ride. I have forward controls on my bike and it does take a long time getting used to.

Mid controls are the best / beginner way to learn on the bike, and damn, having forward controls, up on boundary waiting for a red light ain't for everyone.

i'm more than happy to show you my harley and you can have a look. if you thikn my bike is hard to ride, you'll have a hella of a tough time on a night rod

Gwilo 06-18-2012 05:28 PM

It is ergonomically a disaster to ride.

1-Sit in a chair

2-lift your feet 2 feet of the ground and hold them there

3-reach your arms forward and try to touch your toes and stop apx 2 ft from them.

That is your riding position.

2005 V-Rod versus 2006 Street Rod - Motorcycle.com

see half way down the page.

Victory Hammer is a better bike for less

ruthless 06-18-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 7949440)

I've seen two of these bikes around town...One was driven by a desi uncle and the other by some brown guy...the bike sounded and looked great

Also since you are not leaned over it may be easier to ride since you are in a more seated position while riding...

ws6ta 06-19-2012 09:05 AM

:okay:

so basically what i'm gathering here is revscene suggests get something like a sport bike...get used to riding that then get night rod?

i guess i could do that. whats a good sport bike to get? an all black bike with gold wheels would look pretty good. 600cc a good beginner bike?

fT-z33wor 06-19-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 7951855)

so basically what i'm gathering here is revscene suggests get something like a sport bike...get used to riding that then get night rod?

i guess i could do that. whats a good sport bike to get? an all black bike with gold wheels would look pretty good. 600cc a good beginner bike?

R1's have that color scheme!

And yes a 600cc makes an excellent beginner bike, they are tame below 7000 and don't come to life until past that so it will be plenty forgiving.

I'd recommend a riding course, it'll serve as a catalyst for your learning curve.

6793026 06-19-2012 03:22 PM

ideally I would suggest someone with a 250 CC bike. Honda and Kawasaki came out with some nice looking ones so I HIGHLY suggest you to do the 250CC the 125 is a joke so that's a no

600 CC would be a good bike if you have about 2 yrs under your belt, 5000 km would be a good "bench"mark to start moving into the 600CC.

I know we will have a huge flame or people saying you don't need to start at 250 CC, and I agree, you could start with R1 even, I'm just saying that if you start your first bike with lower CC, it is much more forgiving.

i don't like to compare cars with bikes becuase driving a Lambo with higher HP is difff than a bike.. It's like learning to fly an airplane, you want to learn on a Cessa first etc.

hud 91gt 06-20-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 7951855)

You don't need a sport bike. haha. Get a smaller cruiser. Yamaha and Honda make a few (I think) in the 750cc range. They will handle much more like the harley. A sportbike is going to quick and agile, the cruiser's not so much. It will be much more like your Harley but easier to handle. When your on here, remember who your talking too.

One day i'll get a Harley (or an old Indian mmm), for now the sportbike will do ;)

hud 91gt 06-20-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7952141)
ideally I would suggest someone with a 250 CC bike. Honda and Kawasaki came out with some nice looking ones so I HIGHLY suggest you to do the 250CC the 125 is a joke so that's a no

600 CC would be a good bike if you have about 2 yrs under your belt, 5000 km would be a good "bench"mark to start moving into the 600CC.

I know we will have a huge flame or people saying you don't need to start at 250 CC, and I agree, you could start with R1 even, I'm just saying that if you start your first bike with lower CC, it is much more forgiving.

i don't like to compare cars with bikes becuase driving a Lambo with higher HP is difff than a bike.. It's like learning to fly an airplane, you want to learn on a Cessa first etc.

The only reason you start with a Cessna is because your paying for the gas :p

parm104 06-20-2012 11:49 AM

If you're taking a course to learn how to ride, easing into your Harley won't be a difficult thing. I know there is a course in Abbotsford that structures their courses towards larger guys when they get them in the group and brings out big bikes to help them learn.

Cruisers, regardless of their size or weight are relatively easy to ride forwards. It's turning and manoeuvring them that become an issue but only experience can help fix that.

Your weight and the weight of the bike is really irrelevant because when you ride, it's all about balance. I'm a rather small frame guy but have been able to ride 1000+ CC bikes that are obviously double+ my weight without any issues. It's about knowing how to balance it.

You should be fine with the Harley if you put some time and effort into knowing how your bike rides and being open to instruction from the course you take.

rk604 06-20-2012 03:02 PM

i say just go through the course...they have a cruiser/sport bike/standard bike there for you to try. Heck, give them a few cash to cover the gas after your course, i'm sure they'll let you try each one for a good amount of seat time. Once you start riding, your priorities change...i know that when i first wanted to start riding, all i could think of was getting that one bike that i've always wanted. Not until i took the course, i realize the advantages of different bikes, their purpose and such. Seeing your lineups in cars, you could probably walk in and buy any bike you want at any time. I'd say get the course done first and get some more perspectives on things

If your comparing the diavel and the night rod harley, i'd get the harley...and this is coming from someone who owns a duc

Gwilo 06-20-2012 04:08 PM

For lessons on a large cruiser check out Open Road in Langley.

You can start on a 250 and finish on 1100 cc

Most of the riders move on to HD or other large bikes

ws6ta 07-04-2012 07:14 PM

slowly but surely i'll get there :fullofwin:

step 1:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/674/photo19td.jpg

I want something like this...black with gold wheels....

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Y...k_LHF_1280.jpg

i don't know anything about bikes. I'm assuming these crotch rockets would be better to learn on then a ducati or harley????