REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

A safe way to receive money via online?

Hi, I need to receive some money from my friend who is from Asia. She wants to use online banking to send me the funds, but I am not comfortable sending her my bank account # and information by e-mail. What is a safer method of receiving the funds?
Advertisement
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Why don't you call them and tell them your account info over the phone then?
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

she can send you a wire transfer but it depends on how much it is b/c there are costs for receiving wires. Check with your bank and see what information is needed and see how much it costs to receive a wire. If its a large amount then wire would be safer but if its a very small amount then don't waste your time.
drakeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
western union is good enough, $9 or so to send, probably same to receive

if not, paypal?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Is your friend in China or other asian countries? In China, it would be best to wire money over, there will be roughly $25 CDN of fee to send on their side, and $10 in fees on your side to receive. Any major bank in China used to send, will arrive in Canada less than 3 days, so its not too bad. If you feel unsafe about giving your current bank account, if you can always open a new empty bank account and send them the numbers. They can't really do much with it.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

Bank Wire is probably the safest.

The above poster is pretty much dead on about the fees. Will cost your friend $ to send and will cost you $ to receive.

Even if you gave out your bank account info to your friend they wouldn't be able to hurt you or do anything bad with it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
If you trust the person, western union / money gram all work.

Alternatively, she can send funds over to my account and we will go to the teller and get cash.
My fee is

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Interac e-mail transfer. She just has to put in your email address, no banking info. You click the link in the e-mail and redeem the money transfer when you log in to your online banking system.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassanova View Post
Interac e-mail transfer. She just has to put in your email address, no banking info. You click the link in the e-mail and redeem the money transfer when you log in to your online banking system.
Not possible from China. That only works within Canada.

Trust me, I am working in China now and I've thought of many ways to get money to Canada.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote