REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
I don't get it

millwright: apprenticeship vs certification

i'm just wondering what's the difference between having a red seal and a certificate of trades training. bcit offers both but i'm not quite sure which one would be a better choice. does having a red seal hold advantage over having a certificate in trades (or vice versa)? thanks guys
Advertisement
98 Honda Civic EX w/ B16 - Sold
96 Honda Civic Sedan - Sold
98 VW Jetta GLX VR6 - Sold
02 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
99 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed. - Sold
99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST - Sold

RS buy&sell rating: http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...23#post6189423
Jessie_GST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I believe a Red Seal Certification takes much more precedence over a Certificate of Trades Training. I just finished my Automotive Tech Foundation Program at BCIT (which I got my Certificate of Trades Training from), and now I'm working as an apprentice, on my way to a Red Seal.

I believe I can only get tested for my Red Seal after my 4 years in apprenticeship, and then I'll be considered a journeyman. I'm pretty sure it's like this across all trades in terms of industry training
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm currently in the Millwright Foundation Program for Certificate of Trades Training.

The Foundation Program is there to help you get employment for Apprenticeship really. It touches upon all 4 years of the actual Millwright program.

Red Seal takes 4 years. 1800 hours of work per year and 7 weeks in class for theory each year.

After my Foundation program I am considered a 2nd year Apprentice as it recognized as 1800 hours of work.

Its an awesome Trade to get into and you will not regret it. Millwright is literally the jack of all trades or better known as an industrial mechanic of that sort.

If you're willing to get your hours done quickly and get paid massive, hit up the interior as they will take apprentices in a snap. I hear they pay close to $45/hr just for 2nd year Apprentices.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

any millwrights here, I need 10 questions answered for my career research if anyone can help!
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

ttt
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I'm half way through my apprenticeship and can likely answer the questions you have.

Getting your red seal is like getting your drivers license.

You need 6600 hours (i think? maybe 6400..something like that) and you have to complete your 4 periods of training, and then pass your interprovincial red seal exam- to be considered red seal certified.

Each level you complete, goes towards your apprenticeship. So you can say youve completed your first year, second year, third year, etc. Each is its own course and certification and builds on the last course taken- but you are not FULLY certified until youve taken them all, finished your work hours, and have written your final exam.
Minnionator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

pmed