REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Reliable Used Car Dealership for used car quote

I'm in a rush to leave the country early next month for work and need to sell my car before I leave. The car has damages on it which I can't afford to fix right now which I think will make private sale long and tedious, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some used car dealerships that they've dealt with in the past that is honest and hassle-free. I already know the general price I should be getting and have taken it to Tunnex on marine drive on a recommendation but want quotes from multiple places to get the best price. A lot of these used car dealerships are really shady so any personal recommendations would be much appreciated.

TIA
Advertisement
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Take the price you think you want, and cut it in half. That's the quotes you will get.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Please elaborate; what type of car, what specific damage does it have, what price are you looking for?

People buy damaged cars at discounted prices routinely, because fixing the damage privately has the potential for an upswing in value (profit). I see no reason to rule out the possibility of a private sale. If you price the car correctly and list it on craigslist, it will sell quickly. Be prepared to take a massive hit if you sell it to a dealer.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I would keep the "moving quickly and can't afford to fix stuff" thing to yourself, and instead go for "I don't like it anymore".
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I would keep the "moving quickly and can't afford to fix stuff" thing to yourself, and instead go for "I don't like it anymore".
Not selling and leaving it for my brother and family to use is always an option. The car runs mechanically perfectly and I do regular maintainance ahead of schedule all the time - the damage is cosmetic that's why I haven't bothered to fix it. Just looking at my options !
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Hyde's Understudy

you are selling a car...there is nothing shady about a place that will buy your car.

they will try to make as much profit possible, which is totally in their rights of a business.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
transfer legal title to a trusted friend and have them sell it?
give him a small cut of the proceeds and ask him to wire the funds back.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
you are selling a car...there is nothing shady about a place that will buy your car.

they will try to make as much profit possible, which is totally in their rights of a business.
There are ethical and unethical ways of making profit. Buying a car at a fair wholesale price and re-selling it at a fair market price is of the former, taking advantage of someone's circumstance and jacking the price up to unsavvy buyers without doing proper repairs is not (in my opinion). Some used dealerships do things in a professional manner, and some do not. So in short, yes some dealerships are 'shady' (IMO).
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
There are ethical and unethical ways of making profit. Buying a car at a fair wholesale price and re-selling it at a fair market price is of the former, taking advantage of someone's circumstance and jacking the price up to unsavvy buyers without doing proper repairs is not (in my opinion). Some used dealerships do things in a professional manner, and some do not. So in short, yes some dealerships are 'shady' (IMO).
This.

All I'm looking for are places with a reputation of being fair and honest with their work.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

Usually wholesale value is $3000-$4000 less than retail value.

If you see the same car as yours advertised on craigslist for $10,000, you can expect a dealer to offer you $6000-$7000 for it.

If your car happens to have $3000 of damage on it, then they will offer you $6000-$7000 minus $3000 or whatever it'll cost to fix the damage, minus also $$$$ whatever they think the devaluation of the vehicle is for having accident history.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
is there a reason you can't give us more detail?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Usually wholesale value is $3000-$4000 less than retail value.

If you see the same car as yours advertised on craigslist for $10,000, you can expect a dealer to offer you $6000-$7000 for it.

If your car happens to have $3000 of damage on it, then they will offer you $6000-$7000 minus $3000 or whatever it'll cost to fix the damage, minus also $$$$ whatever they think the devaluation of the vehicle is for having accident history.
^this

Thank you,
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote