REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Can cops park anywhere for free?

Curious about if law enforcement are allowed to park on metered spots on public streets for free. I was close to finishing my breakfast at a restaurant when I saw two cops pull up to a metered spot in a marked cruiser, walked into the restaurant, sat down and ordered food. It did not appear they had the intention of getting the food as take out. The meter was already blinking empty when they parked. I left as they started eating. I checked the meter as I walked out the door and its still empty. Can cops be ticketed for not plugging the meter? Or are they immune?
Advertisement
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,017 Times in 1,896 Posts
Can't really answer your question but when I pay through my phone the meter will still say 0
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Lol vpd patrol vehicles are owned and insured by the city of Vancouver and it would be fairly counter productive for the city of van to ticket their own vehicles so basically yes vpd cars can park anywhere they want and my best guess is that they do not have to plug the meter
impulse777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse777 View Post
Lol vpd patrol vehicles are owned and insured by the city of Vancouver and it would be fairly counter productive for the city of van to ticket their own vehicles so basically yes vpd cars can park anywhere they want and my best guess is that they do not have to plug the meter
Well, not every parking lot is owned by "The City" and your example only refers to VPD and Vancouver in an environment where we RCMP as well.

Police officers can't park wherever they want, unless of course it's an emergency. They can be ticketed just like anyone car for parking without authorization/paying for a stall.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

We all log into the computers in our cars, which is logged and retrievable. People do get in trouble for parking where they shouldn't be parking when not on a call (ie. parked blocking traffic or wheelchair access ramps to do foot patrols around an event). Our bylaws officers do report the obnoxious and obviously not needing to park there parking jobs to our management.

However, just like the firefighters and paramedics, we have to be able to respond to a call in an instant. This means not parking 3 blocks away when you stop for a meal. I've lost track of the number of times I've been just a few bites into a meal and had to ditch it for a file and not had a chance to eat for another 5-10+hrs. So, as long as we're not being stupid in how/where we're parked, it is a general "perk" of being able to park where we need to. Again, only within reason.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I've lost track of the number of times I've been just a few bites into a meal and had to ditch it for a file and not had a chance to eat for another 5-10+hrs.
You have to start asking the waitress to bring your food to the table in "to go" containers so you can take it with you when you run out the door

A friend of a friend is a paramedic and was telling us how he had his ambulance ticketed by city parking enforcement for stopping the ambulance in a no stopping zone. Parking officer accused him of using the spot to get a coffee from Starbucks and stuck a ticket on the windshield. While the paramedic was in fact in the Starbucks, he wasn't in line for a coffee - he was working on a cardiac patient...

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
About the only thing in CHiPS that was close to real was having to dump your meal just after you started it.....far too frequently. Considering the quality of some of the fast food we eat, it just saved one step in the process.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Ask me about killing a hobo and dumping his body in the river

im assuming cops can do many things US "Citizens" cant do ..... ie jay walk....
[18-02, 21:40] ICE BOY please come over and wrap me in your foreskin.
[18-10, 14:35] ZN6 Evo if you here: Say what your heart feels, cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind shouldn't matter
[26-07, 14:46] ZN6 I gonna nibble on your scrotum

93 honda civic si (RIP)
2010 Evolution X (RIP)
2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT (RIP)
2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Overland build

2019 Kawasaki Ex 400(Summer Daily)
EvoLove is offline   Reply With Quote