REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Recommend me a Bike Shop!

Hello good friends of Revscene!

Im planning to buy a bike within the next two weeks, I want to compile a list of used motorcycle dealerships that you guys recommend and rave about! Maybe this can turn into a bike shop review thread who knows.

I plan to get 600cc or 750cc it really depends on price, condition, how good the deal is. And the models are just the classic run of the mill sports: CBR, R, GSXR, maybe a FZ, who knows! Thats the fun of it! (budget $9000 but i would like to spend 6-7k)

I've never bought a bike before so i dont really trust myself to buy used, but if someone doesn't mind helping me inspect a used (non dealership) bike there's lunch and beer in it for you! Just PM me.

I rode in Singapore which is where I learned so lets not make this thread about the displacement I choose to buy, mucho appreciado!

Looking forward to the replies!
Advertisement
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
I am Hook'd on RS

Hi

From what I've read, dealerships that seem to have a good reputation with fellow bikers are:
Daytona Motorsports
Burnaby Kawasaki
Imperial Motorcycles

But one consensus is that EMS/Imperial Motorcycles is the place to go for pre-purchase checks on used bikes

I haven't been to any of them yet to buy bikes. Hopefully others can chime in?
Holeshot Motorsport also seems to be a pretty decent dealership though I've only communicated with them via email.

*this is the information I've gathered from research. Others should be able to help you out more than I could.

And Singapore eh? I'm from Malaysia

Last edited by alicelc; 06-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
alicelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
The only three shops I've been to and had no problems with (and in no particular order)

- Cypress Motorbike in Delta
- M-Speed Performance (Commercial & E. Hastings in Vancouver)
- 5th Gear Motorsports in Richmond/Delta'ish

Other shops with good reputations:

- EMS
- Imperial Motorcycles

I am impartial to Daytona Motorsports but this is a personal opinion.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Holeshot is really nice ive bought all my gear from there so far, i have dealt with a girl from there. her name is something along the lines of alysa?? lol she has a broken leg, very nice to and good deals
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
- 5th Gear Motorsports in Richmond/Delta'ish
Oh! I didn't know they were still open. I couldn't find their website ... I must be googling incorrectly.
I've also heard great things about them
alicelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Bill @ 5th Gear has some weird hours. He isn't always opened and only on select days. I believe he is heavily involved with the movie industry as a consultant and participates in high profile motorcycling events.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to bring a bike to him for a pre-purchase inspection and/or maintenance/repairs. Great guy and great mechanic!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Support Team Mod

If you are looking for a Yamaha, Daytona has the best prices in the area.

For repairs EMS, or 5th Gear.

5th Gear is an odd place but it does work good, you email them for an appointment and let them know when you want to drop the bike off and they will respond.

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Why'd you do that for?

I've only dealt with Honda Center in Burnaby and Imperial Motorcycles. Honda Center was a so so experience, the salesman there was snobby. It wasn't until the owner Frankie came to chat with me, they finally took me seriously and actually considered me as a buyer. I was only given one key at the time of purchase and they promised me to give another key when they find it. I didn't care too much at the time as all I wanted to do was to ride the damn bike home. I came back a week or so later and they gave a huge fuss over a key. In the end I walked off with a BLANK key, they weren't willing to cut it for me. They lost a customer over a few bucks cutting a fucking key, never going back there.

Bought my 2nd bike privately and was serviced at Imperial Motorcycle PRIOR to the purchase with the previous owner. Went there to pick up the receipt probably about 2 months after the purchase and requested my service light to be reseted, showed them receipt, etc and they were more than willing to do so. They were fully booked for the day, but they were still willing to go out of their ways to get my service light cleared. I'm definitely going back there for all my services
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #9

I was scouring craigslist and found a great gsx-r 750 2010 with, get this, 642KM! I had to shoot ($8800) and it was at vancouver bmw ducati. Went to check it out and immaculate minus 2 scratch marks that probably came from rock chips. Just doing a little more market research before i bite the bullet, i already put a deposit on it luckily the long weekend is here so i dont have to rush the decision. What do you guys think on the bike? Great deal? After taxes comes to $10,152.

By the way, Stuwart the sales manager was great. Very laid back and i feel he priced very honestly (actually aggressively). He just said theres just no room on the floor plan for a suzuki and if he didnt get rid of it within the next few days he would have just sold it to another dealer.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
Bought my 2nd bike privately and was serviced at Imperial Motorcycle PRIOR to the purchase with the previous owner. Went there to pick up the receipt probably about 2 months after the purchase and requested my service light to be reseted, showed them receipt, etc and they were more than willing to do so. They were fully booked for the day, but they were still willing to go out of their ways to get my service light cleared. I'm definitely going back there for all my services
I've always had a great experience at Imperial, I love that place.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
I was scouring craigslist and found a great gsx-r 750 2010 with, get this, 642KM! I had to shoot ($8800) and it was at vancouver bmw ducati. Went to check it out and immaculate minus 2 scratch marks that probably came from rock chips. Just doing a little more market research before i bite the bullet, i already put a deposit on it luckily the long weekend is here so i dont have to rush the decision. What do you guys think on the bike? Great deal? After taxes comes to $10,152.

By the way, Stuwart the sales manager was great. Very laid back and i feel he priced very honestly (actually aggressively). He just said theres just no room on the floor plan for a suzuki and if he didnt get rid of it within the next few days he would have just sold it to another dealer.
Price doesn't sound too bad. I would check out what kind of pricing you can get at a dealer like Northshore Suzuki/Yamaha to give you a better idea if it is good. Even try Holeshot.
If you did your course through PRS, let Stuart know and tell him that Dat said to talk to him and ask if he can do a little better on the price.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
Price doesn't sound too bad. I would check out what kind of pricing you can get at a dealer like Northshore Suzuki/Yamaha to give you a better idea if it is good. Even try Holeshot.
If you did your course through PRS, let Stuart know and tell him that Dat said to talk to him and ask if he can do a little better on the price.
Thanks for the tip! I emailed Stewart and see how my luck goes!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Another +1 for Imperial Motorcycles.

I had new flush mount turn signals installed from EMS and the left side would flicker at a different rate than the right side. I bought it back to EMS and Ted was busy with other jobs so he told me to come back on the weekend. My friend recommended Imperial Motorcycles, and they were able to fix the issue for free although they were busy. I tried giving the young tech $20 but he wouldn't take it. As I was leaving, I noticed the young tech (forgot his name) taking a smoke break. I don't endorse smoking but I went to 7-11, grabbed a pack of smokes and returned. The tech was surprised but ended up taking the pack. We talked for a bit and he showed me his R32 GTR, he was an awesome guy all around.

P.S. This isn't a rant against EMS, I love that place to def and it's my usual spot for anything I can't handle.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 07-04-2012 at 11:10 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #14

^ probably the same guy who helped me out.

When I first got my bike, the throttle handle was sticky. I brought it in to see if it could be fixed. He took my bike, rolled it into the shop, took off my handle, cleaned it all out, then gave my bike back to me, refusing any payment
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote