REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Bathroom Exhaust Fan won't turn off AND Microwave/Fan won't turn ON

As title suggested

My Bathroom exhaust fan won't turn off. The light can be turned on and off, I even tried playing with the switch but nothing worked. The only way to turn it off is through the circuit breaker.

Secondly.
My Microwave and exhaust fan combo in the kitchen won't turn on, it just turned off one day. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in and make sure everything is in the "on" position in the circuit breaker.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
do you have one of those dials outside of your bathroom for humidity? maybe some one played with it?
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

new construction?
bathroom exhaust fan is common - switch is not wired correctly (this is code now as the exhaust fan is recommended to run within the first year on new construction). To fix simply remove the switch from the wall and re-install the wiring with the correct polarity.

As for the microwave, sorry - no answer
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Your bathroom fan might be tied onto a dehumidifier which overrides the switch. If you are willing to do some electrical work you could take apart the switch box and remove the dehumidifier switch leg... or take out the dehumidifier and blank it off... or just wait until the area is less humid.

If no dehumidifier, then the switch leg and feed could be touching.

For your microwave/fan combo you can meter out the receptacle or wires to make sure you have a hot and neutral.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Geezus, thanks for the heads up, I looked around for a fan switch/dehumid and found one tucked away in a closet. I fiddled with it and set it to manual. Now it works!

Thanks!

Still no luck fiddling around with the range/mwave though.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
you can check receptacles with a voltage detecting pens that cost like $5 at HD to see if you're getting 120V at your receptacle without having to bojangle anything.

if you checked your breaker maybe make sure it's fully in the 'on' position. i know sometimes the breaker trips and doesn't go fully in the 'off' position and looks like it's 'on'. i had that problem before and turned it off then on again after checking everything else. i just myself for not checking that first

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Geezus, thanks for the heads up, I looked around for a fan switch/dehumid and found one tucked away in a closet. I fiddled with it and set it to manual. Now it works!

Thanks!

Still no luck fiddling around with the range/mwave though.
Cool, some of the dehumidifiers don't come with an off switch. It's nice to be able to turn the thing off without having to opening everything up.

Maybe make sure your microwave/hoodfan works by plugging in an extension cord before investigating the circuit.

Electrical meters can be as cheap as $5. You don't need a good one. Paying more just increases the accuracy of some things from maybe 10%(cheap) to maybe 2%(expensive). They do the same thing.

If it's a brand new place, maybe you can talk to your builder or whoever?

Last edited by Matlock; 06-30-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

how old is the microwave/hood fan combo?

if you can confirm power at the receptable then you know it's the unit....there may be an internal fuse blown on the combo...or if it's old, it just may have died
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote