REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
10psi aint enough...

Los Cabos

Has anyone been to Los Cabos before? Will be travelling there staying in resort.
Mostly staying in the designated area but anyone shed some light on what activities to do or how tourism is?

Thanks!
Advertisement
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Cabo is awsome, IMO when your going to Mexico it's either Cabo or Cancun fuck everywhere else

Where are you staying? If you are staying closer to downtown then everything is at your finger tips basically and perhaps even walking distance

When I went in April we stayed at the royal Solaris in San Jose del cabo which is about a 25 minute bus ride into downtown cabo, IMO I liked San Jose alot better because it was way more chill and had a really nice little "downtown" tourist spot with restaurants bars shops and the people there are not constantly all over you like they are in cabo, shooters bar, a sports bar owned by a calgarian was awsome there to watch the nucks games

In cabo itself I'd suggest going on a night dinner cruise, talk to the guys in the booth near the harbour entrance down from seņor frogs where the "gated" portion of the dock is under the canopy, make sure you get the dinner cruise though on the biggest catamaran that offers it, it's pretty much "the" dinner cruise and it was awsome, great mexican band doing rock covers, all you can drink/eat, if you know spanish you should be able to haggle down to around $25-30 a person, if not you shouldnt pay more than 50 but even at 50 id say its worth it

In most of Cabo you cant swim in the ocean right at your hotel because of rip tides etc. when you see the waves you probably wont want to anyway, but "Chileno Beach" is an awsome beach in a bay that you can swim in and awsome snorkelling, just take a cab there from cabo, it shouldnt be more than $10 each way, and there will always be cabs there when you want to leave

To catch the bus anywhere you basically just stand on the side of the main highway and wave one down, i Belive white busses are the legit city busses

Buying anything you have to haggle, my dad had pretty good success offering half of whatever the initial cost was lol

Last edited by Hondaracer; 07-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
10psi aint enough...

Good tips indeed.

We will be staying at Barcelo Resort in Los Cabos, its our first time but excited to try activities. Decided to treat ourselves to a sunny vacation...
Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Meow

I actually just got back from Cabo on Monday night. I was staying at the Riu Santa Fe. There is usually a lot of things to do in the resort itself. I went jet skiing for 30 minutes for just under $50. I didn't get a chance to go out clubbing because I was just with the gf. I was shown pictures of Squid Roe downtown, it looks like a blast.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #5

The Barcelo there is pretty pimp you should have a good time
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Stayed at the Barcelo resort last year. Good choice!
604pt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
10psi aint enough...

Thanks guys for the good opinions.

Cant wait to go on vacation...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

has anyone gone around november? currently i am seeing prices between 1100-1500. are prices more likely to drop after summer or closer to departure date?
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

negotiate prices for taxis before you get into them... they are notorious for ripping off tourists with cab fares of $40+. I never paid more than $25 each way - dont be afraid to walk to the next taxi driver lol

be weary of the time-share sellers. They try to lure you in with cheap rates for beach activities like snorkeling and para-sailing, but want you to 'visit' their property first. Don't do it.

The main downtown strip is nice, but the cost of everything is jacked up. We went to a bar that was offering $5 for 2 beers, and 2 tequilas. We got hungry and ordered a pizza... freakin $35 for the worst pizza ever with no toppings almost. lol

IMO - make sure you try Gordo Lele's taco shop - its a ghetto place just off the main strip, but has amazing food for good prices.
sil-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
10psi aint enough...

Update:

Wanted to upload the photos when returned in July but got lazy LOL...until HondaRacer pm'd me about my trip. Thanks for asking bud and helpful advice.

So here's our trip:
We had the most fun in Los Cabos, definitely a place where you should go for a relaxing holiday, away from the busy work life and spend some quality time with s/o.

We booked from Westjet vacation with flight + resort, all inclusive. Stayed at the Barcelo Resort in Los Cabos, Mexico. The flight from Vancouver to Mexico was a direct flight, flight was at at 7AM and arrived past 12PM. Westjet + branch companies arranged a shuttle bus for pickup from airport to resort. Bus ride was only 15-20mins. We arrived at Barcelo to friendly staff, checked in and was offered complimentary drinks right away. Bellboy was telling us that July wasnt their busiest month but still had many tourists staying there. Good for us as we wanted privacy between our room to others...

So we arrived to our room floor 7th, which was the top floor. We entered into the room and was amazed how nice it was. Very modern and resort feel...2 queen size beds, widescreen internet flatscreen, living room area, balcony with view of the ocean, and jacuzzi that has the connecting wall to the bedroom area that opens up so you can see the whole room.

Popped open the complimentary beer/snacks in the mini fridge and laid back on the balcony. Just some local mexican piss beer LOL...but who cares...

Here are the photos when arrived at airport and Barcelo:

Night shot:

They have 1 LARGE POOL that connects over 3-4 smaller pools that has the poolside bar (alcohol is PROVIDED, FREE ALL INCLUSIVE). This large pool is open to all age, me chilling with my drink. There is also the adult pool on the other side on the Resort:

We ended up visiting San Lucas, which is only 20-25 mins away from San Cabos. The Resort provides round trip shuttle bus so its safe to say you wont get lost. There is a charge for this shuttle, I forget the price but I will ask my s/o. In San Lucas, its more of their busier, trendier, more attraction area, where there's the harbour for boating, jetskiing, shopping area and local bars!! Coronas was so cheap, since its their local beer. Shooter bars was the norm.

Took some quick photos at the shopping mall entrance:

Spotted the friendly geico insurance gecko on the ceiling at the Resort.

Again, all food and drinks are inclusive, free and unlimited. In Barcelo Resort, they offer 2 buffet restaurants where you just walk in, eat and drink all you want and just walk out. This is what we had at 10am with our buffet:

On evenings, Barcelo Resort offers 6 fine cuisine restaurant, where 1.) You must dress up and not wear your swim attire. 2.) You must reserve your seat prior that day in the morning/afternoon to assure the meal so they dont allow walk-ins. 3.) They offer these 6 cuisines; Steakhouse, Spanish, Japanese, French, Italian, Corral. And a bar area for drinks and dancing and music.

All inclusive as well so everything is covered, friendly waiters and staff and they will ask for you to fill in a survey at the end to rate their service and experience. Definitely a 10/10.

We tried the Steakhouse, French and Spanish...
These are the French cuisine dishes; Mussels for appy, lamb for entree and dessert...so yummy.

Got some more photos of the food but will upload later. Also some photos are NSFW LOL...

Last shot of the view from my balcony suite:

Lastly, we stayed for 5 days 4 nights, there are so many activities to do. We ended up going horseback riding on the beach. It was so fun. Costed only $35/hr each person. They would drive us to another part of the beach and guide us through the beach and onto the uphill sand hills. The tour guide was super nice and showed us some real estate on the beach. Apparently we rode past Julia Roberts', George Clooney', Leonards DeCaprios' summer homes, most cost upwards of $5 million USD ... interesting to know/learn since I am a Realtor lol... He even told me that the horse I rode on was the same Julia Robert rode on hahahha... horse's name was Flash. S/O's horse was Shakira, even told they had photos of her riding the horse hahah...too funny. Watching the ocean waves crash into the beach was most enjoying. Calm breeze and hot hot weather. That week ended up to be 33 degrees but felt like 40 degree (iphone app). The activities included jetskiing, water sports, rock climbing, sightseeing, atv, parasailing, and much more.

Visited their MEGA supermarket, where its like our Superstore/Walmart, they had lots of fresh fruits, the usual groceries, but we ended buying their local branded snacks to bring home to try.

Overall I can say that locals are very friendly there even they could tell we were tourists. Customer service is very important to me. Generous tipping is grateful to them as $1 USD = $13 pasos them.
Definitely will visit Los Cabos again...hope you enjoyed the photos.

Last edited by HondaGuy; 08-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Great post Hondaguy. I was actually there for a week in the third week of July for a wedding. My room was on the same floor and a few over from yours lol.
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #12

Barcelo looks pimp, great pics sounds like you guys did a tonne of stuff in 5 days
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
10psi aint enough...

flawless: I was there between july 14-19 and there was a beach wedding being held too... It looked really nice, think the fiance liked it too lol...

Hondaracer: yah barcelo is a nice resort. Friendly staff and service. Think we might visit los cabos again... Thanks for the friendly tips. The $5 cab ride to their downtown area was exactly what you said. We ended up at a local bar/restaurant taking shots at 11am...