REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
anxiety attacks

I've been getting anxiety attacks recently and its fucking horrible lol, I will sometimes think negative about something small and would start to panic, my breathing turns heavy, my hear races and I get the sweats, does anyone else experience something similar? Source of my stress would be life change/ personal reasons, any method to battle this or note would be greatly appreciated

dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I have had these problems in the past. One really bad one a few years ago. My advice:

1) Realize and acknowledge that it is just a 'sickness'. Your life is not falling apart. Your brain is just going a bit haywire. Once you realize this and treat it like an illness (like you would a cold) it is easier to cope with. Realize that the acute symptoms of the sickness may be with you for a bit when they arise, and you just have to ride them out. Like if you are freaking out and can't sleep, just go with it and realize that tomorrow will be better.

2) Cut caffeine, but not immediately. Taper down until you are at the point where you take no more than a 'morning coffee'.

3) Supplements can help a LOT. Best is 5-HTP. Take it at night, starting with 100mg and taper up every 3-5 nights until you hit 300mg. Stay at 300mg for a week or 2, then taper back down until you are back to 0. Don't go from 300mg to 0mg for more than a one night. If you are on any medication already (I assume you aren't since you are here instead of getting a doctor to prescribe medication) don't combine it.

If this doesn't help
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
dlo

Thanks for the reply SP, yeah I know my life aint gonna end and this is just a phase but what I hate about it is that I am freaking out on the littlest shit ever and sometimes get agitated or emotional... I don't even drink caffeine so that is out of the picture lol, and yes I will be seeing a dr on tuesday but I have had a few panic attacks in less than 24 hrs, is that normal?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #4

Yeah it's normal. Your doctor will give you some medication to fix it up. I just use 5-HTP, it's not as strong but it works
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
dlo

Thanks for the quick replies SP,ill try to get something from my dr, fuck it is just a terrible feeling, if anyone else got anything else to add, feel free too, let's get rid of this fucking piece of shit problem and make everyone else happy
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

nvm

Last edited by lowda9; 07-07-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: irrelevent
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
It could be from blazing too much. I had a buddy who experienced something similar, but as soon as he cut back on smoking, he got better.

Feel better bruh
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
dlo

thanks, iunno dont think its from blazing lol but ill cut down just to see how it is, it might be something from a previous car accident, but im just making assumptions until i see a doctor, my friend who was also in the car during the accident suffered from anxiety attacks but ours are kind of different
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
As much as I laughed at jayare604's post, an acquaintance of mine from high school had the same problem and it was because all he did was blaze 24/7.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
happened to me too about 4 years ago.
also from smoking too much green
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
I had some pretty serious issues with this last summer. It really became a cyclical mess, because I wouldn't sleep because I'd be anxious, then I'd be so fucked up from not sleeping. I ended up in the hospital one day it got so bad. My boss literally grabbed me and threw me in his car and took me there. No sleep, tons of caffeine, and a lot of drinking did it for me. Can you take a bit of time of work? Maybe 2 extra days to catch up on some sleep, run some errands and relax is all you need? I find with my own personal mental health issues, it really snowballs quickly unless you break your cycle early enough.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
dlo

im still blazing but i cut out a few things in my life and it seems to happen a lil less now lol... not gonna self diagnose myself yet, but will hear from my dr tuesday and hopefully shit get better, thing is i sleep enough for a young adult, 8-10 hrs, but i have trouble falling to sleep and always wake up with a panic attack if everything else fails, i guess cutting down on weed is what i gotta do
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Take time to relax, walk around, and meditate. Supplementation isn't required, more of finding a peace of mind then you're set
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #14

If your brain chemistry is fucked, supplementation/drugs are needed to 'find peace of mind'. Otherwise you'll only get worse.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
dlo

we'll see what my dr says tmr, hopefully its something useful not his usual bullshit of me gonna heal magically..
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Would exercise, working out, eating well help this? Just wondering if overall wellness could help op.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I dealt with (and some times still do) anxiety and anxiety attack starting when I was about 24-ish.

I tried to deal with them without any help for years which only made the situation worse. You are doing the right thing and getting help ASAP! I tried the drug thing, but had horrible experiences. Most drs. will put you on an anti-depressant b/c there are very few drugs that specifically treat anxiety that you can take every day (buspar is one, but only in very high doses). Most anti-anxiety medications are used "as needed" such as xanax, ativan, etc.

I went the therapy route and carried a little bottle of ativan on me for the more intense times. It works...it not absorbed into you blood stream, so you don't feel "doped-up". If you can deal with your anxiety problem without medication, it would be best....BUT do not feel like a failure if you can not.

I talked to a therapist and then started seen a psychiatrist...and did so for 2 years. It helped. It did not CURE my anxiety, but it really did help.

The stage you are in right now is very scary. I have been there. You need to know what you are feeling right now is VERY common and normal for anxiety. Your body is in a "fight or flight" situation but you are not in harms way. You will not die. You will not have a heart attack. You will not pass out. Nobody...not ever...has ever died from an anxiety or panic attack. What is happening is an overload of adrenaline. Think about it....when you are excited...scared...any type of emotion that raises you heart rate, you can get a little shaky...a little lightheaded...your heartbeat increases....you get sweaty, etc. The only difference now is that you can not figure out a reason.

Sometimes, you can have a traumatic or stressful situation that happens. During that time you are cool, calm, and collected. This is the "fight". Days, weeks, or months later when your defenses are down, BOOM! your body begins to react and goes nuts....or, the "flight". You have no idea, comb your brain to try and find a reason, etc. And, of course, with "no" reason...you panic even more. Why am I feeling like this? What is happening? Am I dying? Am I having a heart attack? and so on....this of course perpetuates the anxious feelings. It ain't fun. How is it that you are sitting there....watching tv and BOOM you feel like you are dying? well, that is how anxiety attacks work. Very few people ever have anxiety attacks during a stressful situation....it is always after.

I can not stress to you enough that how you are feeling is OK and normal. People have various reactions to anxiety attacks...some feel like they are dying...others feel like they are in a dream world. Some get headaches....backaches....some peoples' legs and arms do numb...some have ringing in their ears...some get very dizzy...and some sweat, get very cold, have brain zaps, get palpitations, and so on. Anxiety manifests itself physically and mentally.

So what do you do? Well...through the years I have tried various things that have worked and some that haven't. You are going to have to try everything and find out what is best for you:

-yoga and/or meditation (breathing is key to anxiety and anxiety attacks. this can also give your brain a little time to relax and not be "on". It may take a few times to actually relax, but people swear by it).
-stretching (like yoga, this can help "un-clench your body. when you get anxiety, people tend to tighten up)
- squared breathing (count in 4's...breath in-1, 2, 3, 4....hold-1, 2, 3, 4....breath out-1, 2, 3, 4....rest-1, 2, 3, 4....like a square. this regulates your you heart rate and breathing...also concentrating on it will distract your mind)
-stay away from stimulants (you said you dont drink caffeine, but make sure its not just coffee. coke, rootbeer, tea, chocolate, all have caffeine in them. Also, sugar or anything else that boosts you energy and nicotine).
-stay away from drugs and alcohol (pot can be one of the worst offenders for anxiety and anxiety attacks)
-distract yourself (read a book, surf the internet, watch a movie, go for a walk, call someone on the phone, re-arrange you closet, take a shower, etc....change the setting, situation, and your actions...hell, watch funny vids on youtube if you have to)
- talk to someone (the worse thing you could do is shut yourself away. when it first started for me, i thought I was the only one dealing with this shit. It happens to A LOT of people. It can make you feel better know you are not alone.
-research (looking up symptoms can comfort you in knowing that what you are feel is OK and normal)
-seek help from a professional (Having a professional tell you that you are OK is also comforting. They can also give you tips for coping and recommend other professionals to help you like therapists...there is no shame in owning what you have an being proactive in getting help. There are dozens of FREE resources out there for you)
-medication (there are a plethora of different medications that can help you with the physical symptoms...some you can take daily and some are as needed as I said above. Sometimes, just knowing that I have ativan on me relaxes me...knowing that you have a back-up plan is comforting and I rarely take one)
-exercise (exercise produces positive endorphins and activates your gaba receptors in the brain to produce serotonin which counteracts anxious feels...but don't over do it. If you over do it, it can sometimes FEEL like an anxiety attack. Walking, swimming, running, rollerblade, biking...anything that is relatively low impact that you can maintain without exhausting yourself is good.

I am sure there are dozens of other ways to cope, but those are some off the top of my head.

Also, if you try medication, don't be disheartened if if does not help right away...sometimes it can take 6-8 weeks for it to take effect and you may have to try a few different types to see what works for you. Everyone reacts differently and some can have some pretty brutal side effects (which will go away with time).

One thing that I do suggest is if you are doing medication, also do therapy. You need to figure out what is going on. Medication should not be a life-long solution. The problem will still be there when you stop it...a combination of all of the above is your best bet.

One thing a dr told me....anxiety is not forever. You WILL get through this and you WILL feel better. It takes work, but it is worth it. You need to take control of it and be proactive. Do not ignore it and hope that it goes away on its on.

Also, if you have any questions or need someone to talk to, please PM me. I know how you feel. I have been there and you will get better!

Sorry for the long post!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
dlo

Don't be sorry for the long post, you answered all my questions and even those I would had asked anyways, I appreciate it and will defentely try out some of the options, theraphy was something I am quite interested in doing, there are a few people in my life that I aam able to talk to about my inner demons but not all of em, I guess I will finally have a professional hear me out and help me. Thank you dino, seeing a dr tmr and I rather take a direction that does not include medication, but if its necessary I guess ill have to do it
Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
dlo

k so i talked to my peice of shit doctor and that fuck just blew me off, when i first brought it up, he said "you never mentioned this before and it does not sound ICBC related, talk about it with me if it happens again" what a clusterfuck of bullshit, if anything ill go to a walkin clinic or go to the ER, still getting em at least twice a day, fuck
Old 07-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Here is what I recommend:

Make another appointment with you doctor and ask to be referred to one of the following:

Fraser Health - Our Services

General Page: Mental Health Services - Mental Health and Substance Use - Fraser Health

Some programs you need to have a recommendation from a GP, but some you may not. You can always phone any of these place.

From what I remember, you get up to 6 visits. If you need help beyond those 6 visits, they can recommend someone.

You talk to a mental heath therapist or nurse (there are several in the office) for about 1 hour each time. During this time, you do mostly cognitive behavioural therapy (or CBT). Each office also has a staff psychiatrist who can discuss with you medication should you have questions. Only a psychiatrist can prescribe medications, a psychologist can not.

I had 6 sessions at the North Delta Mental Health clinic and then when I moved to Pitt Meadows, I had 6 sessions at the Maple Ridge Mental Health clinic. It was helpful...but I wanted more. My GP recommended me to a psychiatrist who worked out of the Surrey Mental Health Unit and I saw him for 2 years.

Finding the right person or even getting you GP to listen is FRUSTRATING!!! Most will just give you a prescription for a drug and send you on your way.

Keep on him! Call those numbers above and find out how to get in. I wish I dealt with my anxiety issues early on...the longer you wait, the harder it is to get out.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 01-29-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #22
dlo

This sounds weird but when I am high, I feel a lot better and never had an anxiety attack while under the influence.... If its necessary, I will cut down on blazing
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
You may have developed a dependancy on it a bit?
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You may have developed a dependancy on it a bit?
Exactly. Anything that fucks around with the chemist of the brain will be regulated. Then when you stop taking it, you are worse off than ever.

I'm sure marijuana screws around with your dopa levels, or serotonin, or both. Getting off it would be a great idea, but I would find out what part of the brain it fucks around with first,and take something to help recover.

If serotonin, take 5HTP. If dopamine, take Phenibut
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #25
dlo

I didn't blaze yesterday and still got an anxiety attack, I don't really think I have a dependacy on it but its just more relaxing to spark a doob and chill out, it kinda keeps me calm, but imma go thru all of this and see how my body will react