REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 07-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

E-Comm 911 call centre hiring $22.89/h

I dont think i can handle the stress, but if anyone's up for it...

Date Posted
6/27/2012
Closing Date
7/28/2012

State/Province

British Columbia [BC]

Title

Emergency Communications Operator 1

Department

Operations

Hours of Work

12-hour shifts, standard shift schedule

Nature and Scope

We are a 24/7, 365 day operations, therefore workdays include nights, weekends, and statutory holidays including Christmas, New Year's Eve, Halloween and special events. Currently the hours of work for Regular Full-Time and Temporary Full-Time employees are 12-hour shifts, 4 days on and 4 days off rotation.

Education and Experience

•Grade 12 Diploma, ideally supplemented by courses in public safety, emergency communications or criminology
•Experience working or volunteering in an emergency services environment is desirable
•Experience working in a high volume call centre environment is preferred
•Knowledge of SW British Columbia geography an asset
•Excellent computer skills with fast and accurate keyboarding—44 WPM

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

•Exceptional prioritizing and multi-tasking skills in an emergency priority driven environment
•Committed to professionalism and excellence in handling callers
•Excellent team skills and committed to team goals and success through cooperation
•Ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing
•Ability to listen and discern what information is significant
•Ability to exercise sound judgment in making quick and accurate decisions
•Ability to perform calmly and effectively in emergency situations
•Ability to operate a computer terminal with speed and accuracy

Additional Requirements

Each new Emergency Communications Operator I is provided (and must pass) paid classroom training, which includes daily homework, weekly tests, final exams and ongoing assessments followed by on the job training. Training is mandatory and will occur during your first 3 to 6 months at E-Comm. Flexibility is required and expected for both Regular and Temporary Full-Time employees relating to schedule changes to accommodate classroom training and one-on-one mentoring/training. This may include change of hours, change of rotations and change of teams. You must have a flexible availability to meet the training and shift requirements. Lastly, Regular Full-Time employees must successfully pass a 9-month probationary period.

Date Posted

6/27/2012

Closing Date

7/28/2012

What We Offer the Successful Candidate

We offer excellent wages and benefits for Regular Full-Time and Temporary Full-Time Employees. In addition there is a full range of benefits after 6 months of continuous employment.

The starting hourly wage for this position is $22.89 per hour with yearly increases.

Employee Group

Union - CUPE, Local 873

The Recruitment Process

All applicants must first apply to our Emergency Communications Operator 1 job posting. Candidates will be short listed and invited to one of our upcoming Information and Screening Session. The anticipated start date for new hires from this session will be May/June 2012.

Please visit 911 Call Center Jobs Vancouver, E-Comm 911 Dispatcher Jobs for more details about our Information and Screening Session. Due to the high volume of applications for this position, only those candidates considered for the screening session will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you for expressing an interest.
Advertisement
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Could you tell me where you found this listing?
Wow $22 straight out high-school, so much better than working for $10 at McDonald's.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
it's really emotionally tolling. (though i'm sure part of the training is learning how to block some of the shit out)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Most people wouldn't get this job straight out of high school as there's a great deal of maturity required to handle the situations 911 operators deal with, and the voice of a teenager doesn't inspire the kind of confidence and authority they require. It is not just emotionally tolling, many emergency workers suffer from compassion fatigue after a while which impacts all their relationships. Further the hours are rough with rotating days and nights in most cases (4 on days, 4 off, 4 on nights, kind of shifts) which is pretty traumatic to family life.

Also you have to pass this:

As a condition of employment, candidates must obtain and maintain an RCMP Reliability Status, which involves an in-depth background investigation. You must have been in Canada for a minimum of five (5) years. The background investigation will be performed to assist and determine suitability, reliability and security of the applicant being considered for employment with E-Comm. The investigation concentrates on, but is not limited to, previous employment, education, neighborhood inquiries, friends and associates, character references, personal finances, drug and alcohol use, and criminal activities

Last edited by TheNewGirl; 07-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.
TheNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossFrancis View Post
Wow $22 straight out high-school, so much better than working for $10 at McDonald's.
it's on their website ecomm911.ca

http://careers2.hiredesk.net/viewjob...bs/Default.asp
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossFrancis View Post
how are you comparing a 911 call centre to mcdonalds

weekly tests and training to get in.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
My mom was a 911 dispatcher for almost 10 years. Its not something that just any one can do. There is also a SHIT LOAD of testing you have to pass before even being looked at.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I should apply. Been doing CSR/tech support for the last few years.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

12 hour shifts? wow
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Whats so wow about that?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: