REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Oh Snap! Mouse droppings under kitchen sink...

...ugh...first time I noticed them. Doesn't help that my house sits next to a unkempt, undeveloped lot that probably has all sorts of critters in there.

Suggestions on getting the mouse (s) out?

Glue trap?
Poison ?
Traditional mouse snap trap?
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
mouse trap with peanut butter on it
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You could try glue traps and mouse traps but arsenic should do the trick if its not a big infestation. We called Orkin and it was $300 for 3 visits they clogged the holes that rats and mice were coming out of and sprayed a type of spray that got rid of them for good.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
The mice come in through plumbing penetrations.
Stuff said penetrations with steel wool, small (>1/4" ) gaps even.

Last edited by finbar; 07-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
trap + peanut butter never worked for me, poison is the most effective, but the mouse might die in an unreachable place which means decomposing body + odor, luckily for me the mouse died right in front of my door, this is what i came home to one night

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
One down. Now to find the source.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I had a major mouse problem at one of the buildings.

First...the manager of the building kept wanting to deal with it himself, and kept asking the pest control company for more sticky traps. More, more more.

So I get involved, and go in and check one of the affected units. Holy shit, his kitchen cupboards were like the stone hedge of sticky traps, and he asks "do I need more?"

No buddy, you're good.

Literally, he had 50 to 75 of the things in the cupboards, along the baseboards and everywhere in between.

We invested in exterior bait traps around the building, one on every exterior wall.

Problem. Solved. With our existing pest control contract, they were $75 each, and monitoring covered on our contract.

I don't like the idea of chasing them down indoors. I had another building where the owner tried to solve it by mechanical means...filling holes and such. I charged out $1000's in making templates and patches around pipes and such, and all we did is chase them from apartment to apartment.

I like solving these types of problems before they even enter the interior.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Don't use poison, because:

A. It's inhumane.
B. The rat will most likely die in a wall and rot.

Rat poison acts on the kidneys, shutting them down and preventing the body from being able to absorb water. As a result the rat will desperately try to find every bit of water it can since it's essentially dying of thirst, that water might be outside or it might be a pipe sweating in your wall.

If you need to kill them, use snap traps, or buy a cat, or a snake......

What you really need to do is address where they're accessing the home, as Gridlock suggested. Check all around the outside of your home and seal off any potential entrance points, the roof line is a very common place for them to come in.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote