REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wouldn't banning shark fin soup, make it that much more expensive to eat? Kind of like prohibition?

Where there is a demand for a product, People will find ways to exploit and profit from it.
Advertisement
truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #27
RS controls my life!

I support the ban on shark fin, but only because it is an endangered species.

Sharks lack unmyelinated neurons called nociceptors that is required to feel pain. You could literally jab the sharks with spears while they are feasting, and they would give zero fucks. So why does finning seem like such a cruel practice when they don't even feel pain?

Most of North American food industry give zero shit about being humane to chickens or cows. Have you seen what kind of conditions they are grown in? how they are slaughtered? Most of their body is consumed so the cruelty(?) upon them is now justified?

What if you kill the shark first, and then cut off the fins (like what we do with cows)? What if you kill the shark before putting it back in the water? Would it be okay now? (assuming they are not an endangered species)
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I see where this is coming from for Western cultures and yes I agree it's inhumane in so many ways. However, you need to consider the fact that it's a business that has been going on for a long time, and yes it needs to stop soon or else the shark population will become extinct. That being said, try telling that to many of the businesses that have culture, tradition, and generations of the same thought that this is a delicacy for them. I'm not saying I'm defending them but I'm using a non bias stance on this even if I am Chinese myself, but also born in Vancouver and raised in Richmond; it's going to be tough to really come to an understanding and a conclusion.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i support a ban because they waste the whole shark

side note since this is being brought up again this is a good video to watch for people who are like about the issue

its been posted before in other threads etc but again for those who still dont know what the issue is

(supposedly some gangsters were going to set him on fire when he was filming this and he gtfo)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
You're a fucking moron. The core issue at discussion isn't banning eating shark fin soup, it's banning catching endangered sharks and especially banning catching them and wasting 99% of them to just hack the fins off. Your comparison to pizza is the most moronic thing I have ever read on this forum. The last time I checked, pizzas did not contain any endangered animals...

Mark
Hi Mark. let me take your example to the very extreme. I understand this example is very extreme. Also, please do some research, finning is not as prevalent as you think. Do I think it's a tragedy it is happening. Yes.

I'm just having a little fun here, don't get too mad.

You said the pizza doesn't contain any endangered species/affect well being/ or the pizza is harming the overall food chain?
is that really true?

Lets analyze a generic pizza from pizza hut.

The milk to make the cheese, is produced from a cow. She needs to be impregnated to make milk. The baby is either slaugther at site or turned into veal. If you live in the states, the milk probably has hormones in it to encourage milk production. The milk is pump, and often the udders are infected and thus they are fed an insane amount of antibotics.

Pepperoni,ham, sausage. Therefore cows, pigs, chickens. All these animals are fed crap diets, to encourage growth in a feedlot. Where they often fight each other because they can't move. chicken's are de-beaked so they don't peck at each other. Most of them are in a concrete floor, which damages their hooves/feet and promotes constant swelling and pussing. When they are slaughter, cows are shot in the head with a rod gun, and pigs and chicken have their throat slit. Usually when they are awake. Also, maybe breeds bovine, swine, and poultry are actually endangered species because they're not good for mass consumption. Depending on where you live, you might have just mowed down an old growth forest to build the feedlot.

Wheat, Tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms. All of them are grown in a gigantic mono cultural lot with a lot of pesticides to keep bugs out, herbicides to keep weed out. sometimes you would need to fumigate the soil to keep pest out to start with. These pesticides are positivity linked to the collapsing bee colony issue, and bee pollinate and thus provide food for everything. The fertilizer you need to grow all of this requires lots of fossil fuel, such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potash. This needs to be mined, and transported from thousands of miles away. Extra fertilizers becomes run off and destory waterways. Mushroom grows best on tree mulch, so a bunch of trees has to be cut down and grounded up to let the mushrooms grow in plastic containers. The plowing and harvesting of wheat probably kills hundreds of miliions of small rabbits, mole, vole every year.

So if i was a special interest group promoting why we should ban the pizza. Would you for a split second think that it would be a great idea?

What does this have to do with banning shark finning? Nothing at all.
But to say you don't want to harm an endangered animal, therefore you shouldn't eat a shark fin is a pretty weak idea. Probably, simply calling your pizza hut, and having them deliver you a pizza has probably caused more environmental destruction and animal suffering then you can possibly believe. I understand that a shark is a charismatic mega fauna that people loves to ooooo over for.

Banning shark fin is great idea, lets see when the last time prohibition has worked?? Why don't we use this money and educate our own people why we shouldn't eat it. The market for shark fin in canada compare to rest of asia is minimal to say that least. Are we going to start policing the rest of the world too?

i know no one will read this, nor give a damn. But it was a fun thought experiment for myself.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #31
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Of course Richmond Restaurateur rejects shark fin ban, its losing money to them. personally I dont support the ban in Richmond, but would rather ban shark fin for the whole province/country, ban it in Richmond just giving business advantage to chinese restaurant in near-by city. shark fin consumsion will be the same but driving the chinese wedding banquet to other city like vancouver and Burnaby.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post
The milk to make the cheese, is produced from a cow. She needs to be impregnated to make milk. The baby is either slaugther at site or turned into veal. If you live in the states, the milk probably has hormones in it to encourage milk production. The milk is pump, and often the udders are infected and thus they are fed an insane amount of antibotics.

Sorry I can't stop laughing right now

WOW so you think a cow has to be impregnated to produce milk?

Sorry I think I'm done

Nope I was wrong

So what were we talking about again?

Let me guess a chicken has to be impregnated to lay eggs as well? they have gotten around that parts as long as I can remember

Thanks I needed that

Last edited by murd0c; 07-13-2012 at 02:48 PM.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I don't know if your post was very funny or it's just because it's Friday and I'm tired and those hopping puff cushions are making me giddy inside
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
I went to his Jade restaurant for a wedding. The shark fin soup wasn't that great.

Kinda ironic...lol
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

fuck guys ill be straight up. i love shark fin soup. as a kid on my birthday id ask my mom to take us out for shark fin soup.

it's delicious. and funny thing is a lot of people I talk to who says it doesn't taste good haven't even tried it."OH I JUST READ IT HAS NO TASTE BLAH BLAH BLAH".

you must order the right ones from the right restaurant cause its not an easy soup to make. we call our chefs, master in chinese (see fu) for a reason.

but taste is not the main concern of debate.

the issue is, what will happen if sharks go extinct?

it's all speculation as of now, with lots of debating.

and no one will know exactly what will happen unless sharks really do go extinct. the truth is, sharks are already sooooo close to becoming extinct that some in some waters they already are extinct.
tons of people kill sharks illegally, and of course they aren't going to report it.

the main argument is that the ecosystem will collapse.

and the counter argument right now is that, nothing will happen if sharks become extinct. the proof is right now, with the huge decline of sharks, nothing has happened to humans. people say that the ecosystem will adapt and adjust as it is doing so now.

like i said, its all speculation and debating. that is why there are still people arguing because it's hard to prove shit.

i do believe that earth will be better without shark finning, because species going extinct is RARELY a good thing.

i can tell you now that it's going to be close to impossible to stop shark finning globally. it's like saying to shark finners, stop making this huge amount of $ you're making and find a new career.

sharks will indefinitely become extinct.
tseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!

some of us don't like the idea of shark fin because you waste the entire shark. someone used the example of elephants.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #37
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post
Hi Mark. let me take your example to the very extreme. I understand this example is very extreme. Also, please do some research, finning is not as prevalent as you think. Do I think it's a tragedy it is happening. Yes.

I'm just having a little fun here, don't get too mad.
I didn't fail this post because you brought up some interesting points. All valid of course (however saying "please do your research" is BS unless you're showing us studies yourself).

The point is sharks sit on top of the food chain they are Apex Predators. They have no predators on top. (see its not hard to link info). They're not the same as halibut, any fish, cows, cats, dogs whatever you eat may be.

That's not to say killing animals for food in the way you described is right, its also wrong but its not as severely impacting on our environment and ecosystem as sharks are.

Feel free to prove me wrong.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #38
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

probably expecting having imitation shark fin soup in the near future
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post

Sorry I can't stop laughing right now

WOW so you think a cow has to be impregnated to produce milk?
Cows need to be impregnated to produce milk... Of course, you continuously milk them after they give birth, but without the pregnancy, there would be no milk.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I agree educating people why we should stop consuming shark fin will probably be more effective than straight out banning shark fins.

Let me repost this video again.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVitz View Post
I agree educating people why we should stop consuming shark fin will probably be more effective than straight out banning shark fins.

Let me repost this video again.
I agree wholeheartedly, but as you can see from some of the posts in this thread, sometimes education will just not suffice.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post

Sorry I think I'm done
seemingly that is the only part you got right in your obnoxious tease of a post.

"A cow only starts to produce milk once her first calf is born. Each cow can produce five times more milk than the calf needs, so farmers milk the cows to feed people.

Cows typically have their first calf when they are two years old. Like humans, a cow is pregnant with her calf for nine months. Normally a cow has a calf once a year.

Once she is pregnant she continues to give milk for about seven months. The farmer stops milking her two months prior to the birth so she can devote all her energy to producing her new calf. "

source How Cows Make Milk - Dairy Australia
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #43
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, but as you can see from some of the posts in this thread, sometimes education will just not suffice.
like i said in my last post, it's impossible to stop shark finning globally.
the demand is too high and the market is just too big.
tseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #44
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
^ did you read the end of my post stating we have gotten away from the impregnated issue for years?
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

just like Native Americans 'practicing tradition' by killing whales with 600 horse power boats and high powered rifles.

makes me sick.
wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
degenerate extraordinaire

No, because you only implied that chickens have advanced in terms of farming their eggs.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
I can't tell if murdoc is being sarcastic or ignorant or sarcastically ignorant.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #48
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevtuner View Post
probably expecting having imitation shark fin soup in the near future
in the future? son its been around for years did you really think china wouldn't be making fake shark fins
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
I support the ban on shark fin, but only because it is an endangered species.

Sharks lack unmyelinated neurons called nociceptors that is required to feel pain. You could literally jab the sharks with spears while they are feasting, and they would give zero fucks. So why does finning seem like such a cruel practice when they don't even feel pain?

Most of North American food industry give zero shit about being humane to chickens or cows. Have you seen what kind of conditions they are grown in? how they are slaughtered? Most of their body is consumed so the cruelty(?) upon them is now justified?

What if you kill the shark first, and then cut off the fins (like what we do with cows)? What if you kill the shark before putting it back in the water? Would it be okay now? (assuming they are not an endangered species)
This is incorrect. Something like 13-30% of the nociceptors in most sharks are unmyelinated. Humans are about 50%. Manta Rays are about 1%.

Sharks can and do feel pain: but the extent of it is hard to measure by our standards without what I would consider cruel testing.

Some fish have been shown to get elevated heart rates with the introduction of painful stimuli, and consequently have lower heart rates when treated with morphine. Whether or not they have the mental capacity to register this as pain by our standards is questionable, but do we REALLY have to prove it? Can't we just assume that it makes sense that if we hurt an animal it will feel some sort of pain?? Why do we need to justify inhumane slaughter with ANY excuse?

I would hope that with all the bullshit taxes we pay, we have federal and provincial inspectors that ensure that our livestock are treated humanely.

I don't see why we should allow the import of food product from animals that were inhumanely slaughtered.

I also strongly feel that 'tradition' is a bullshit excuse to condone unethical treatment of animals.

As an aside, ironically, the traditional Inuit seal hunt was once greatly protested due the images of seals being clubbed. Again, ironically, the traditional Inuit club, if built to the correct GoC specs, is more likely to provide a clean, quick, and relatively painless death than a minimum or greater velocity bullet would be able to do. Yet everyone was campaign for sealers to stop using the clubs.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #50
Better safe than Surrey

If shark fin soup is so good for you then why are we not farming sharks or eating it on a regular basis?

Because it has VERY LITTLE NUTRITIONAL VALUE!

I understand it's a part of tradition and Chinese culture but its going to effect the world if we don't reduce consumption.
We need to educate people of the harm that its causing and the cascading effects of killing an apex predator.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Soup, shark fin, restaurant-prepared