REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   BC liquor laws now let you bring own wine to restaurants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671118-bc-liquor-laws-now-let-you-bring-own-wine-restaurants.html)

shawnly1000 07-19-2012 11:48 AM

BC liquor laws now let you bring own wine to restaurants

The BC government is changing liquor laws to let you bring whatever wine you want to drink from home. But restaurants can charge a corkage fee, and the amount will be set by individual businesses.

BC liquor laws now let you bring own wine to restaurants - News1130

cho 07-19-2012 11:55 AM

RIDICILOUS.

im in the restaurant side of things, and i feel as if its almost an insult that they would let people bring their own wines in

nabs 07-19-2012 11:59 AM

thats awesome, next time im bringing in my box wine and a straw =) lol.

GGnoRE 07-19-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

If restaurants choose to take part, anywhere from $10 to $50 could be charged as a corkage.
I highly doubt many restaurants will let you do this

Vale46Rossi 07-19-2012 12:40 PM

This is really common in a lot of places around the world.

Mortons @ Seattle charges $50 for corkage.

Glove 07-19-2012 12:42 PM

you bring your own wine, and they get to charge you 50 bucks?

why not just pay the 50 bucks and use their wine? lol,

makes no damn sense

Jayboogz 07-19-2012 12:47 PM

lol chinese restaurants been doing this illegally for ages..
been bringing my own wine to restaurants for years now the manager are usually cool about it if you know them well enough and also if the bill is gonna stacked up they wont care if you bring your own wine.

TPMarko 07-19-2012 12:50 PM

what if you bring wines with twist caps? no cork fee? :troll:

GLOW 07-19-2012 01:10 PM

reminds me when i saw a big group of people come in to this viet place i was at and brought their own 2L bottles of pop :lawl:

Presto 07-19-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPMarko (Post 7979797)
what if you bring wines with twist caps? no cork fee? :troll:

served cupcakes at my wedding, and still got dinged for the goddamned cake serving/cutting fee.

lowside67 07-19-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove (Post 7979791)
you bring your own wine, and they get to charge you 50 bucks?

why not just pay the 50 bucks and use their wine? lol,

makes no damn sense

Originally corkage fees were introduced so that people could bring their own very special bottles of wine that were BETTER than the house wines available - not to save money. Corkage fee clearly doesn't cover just uncorking a bottle of wine, it also covers servers bringing glasses and pouring the wine, busboys clearing those glasses away, dishwashers washing them, replacing broken glasses, etc. The reality is this law isn't designed to help cheap people bring $10 bottles of wine in and save money...

Mark

Culverin 07-19-2012 01:56 PM

Bingo...

Every year I sleep outside the liquor store to line up for wine and it's not because I want a $10 bottle. There is some pretty limited release bottles (that may or may not cost an arm and a leg).

Expresso 07-19-2012 03:14 PM

This would've been handy for my wedding reception last year! :mad:

westopher 07-19-2012 06:53 PM

double post sorry

westopher 07-19-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7979760)
RIDICILOUS.

im in the restaurant side of things, and i feel as if its almost an insult that they would let people bring their own wines in

Seriously man? If somebody decided to celebrate their 25 year wedding anniversary, and I got to cook for their table, you can be sure I'd be flattered they got to enjoy some wine of the year of their wedding with my food. As said, its not so some broke ass can pop a bottle of baby duck and pretend to ball out, its so people can bring special bottles for special occasions. The corkage fee will always be set high enough to not make it worthwhile to try and save some money by rolling over to the cold beer and wine store before dinner.

Hondaracer 07-19-2012 08:02 PM

As lowside said, this isnt for bringing a bottle of copper moon to Earls, this is for bringing high end bottles to high end restaurants which do not carry the bottle, or if they do, it's probably not worth buying as opposed to bringing + cork fee

There are already places locally that have been doing this, and they are the only type of places anything like this would be worthwhile anyways

Culverin 07-19-2012 09:21 PM

FYI, corkage is something that is quite standard in the dining/culinary world.
This isn't something new to Vancouver.

Restaurants here (including the Chinese Seafood restaurants) used to do this locally as well at least up until the recent kerfuffle with BC Liquor. From what I know, Chinese places I know have a corkage of less than $15 a bottle.

cho 07-19-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 7980149)
Seriously man? If somebody decided to celebrate their 25 year wedding anniversary, and I got to cook for their table, you can be sure I'd be flattered they got to enjoy some wine of the year of their wedding with my food. As said, its not so some broke ass can pop a bottle of baby duck and pretend to ball out, its so people can bring special bottles for special occasions. The corkage fee will always be set high enough to not make it worthwhile to try and save some money by rolling over to the cold beer and wine store before dinner.

Seriously?
I went to school to learn what wines pair with what food, and if I spend the time to do that, I would find it an insult if someone brough just some wine

skyxx 07-19-2012 10:10 PM

Only wine eh? :( No love for Spirits.

Lomac 07-19-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7980320)
Seriously?
I went to school to learn what wines pair with what food, and if I spend the time to do that, I would find it an insult if someone brough just some wine

If someone brings a bottle of wine with them for their 25th anniversary or something similar, chances are they didn't bring it to match it up with their dinner; likely, it has some special meaning behind it (like the wine they served on their wedding). They probably wont care that it doesn't "go" with what they're eating.

shawnly1000 07-20-2012 12:11 AM

Tenative list taken from Vancity Buzz, don't know how credible/confirmed

Chambar, 562 Beatty Street
Corkage Fee: $25

El Caminos, 3250 Main Street

Fray on Fraser, 3980 Fraser Street
$5 corkage fee

Gramercy Grill, 2685 Arbutus Street
Corkage fee: Unknown

Habit, 2610 Main Street

Le Parisien, 751 Denman Street
Corkage Fee: $20

NOVO Pizzeria, 2118 Burrard Street
Corkage Fee: Unknown

The Cascade Room, 2616 Main Street

The Union, 219 Union Street

West Restaurant, 2881 Granville Street
Corkage Fee: $50 corkage fee

westopher 07-20-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7980320)
Seriously?

So did I. You think that just because something isn't on your wine list, means that it won't pair with your food? Even if it doesn't, its not your job to tell people what to like, as much as both of us would like for that to be the case, we can only make suggestions to the best of our knowledge. You are taking this way too personally. Just because we were told how food should taste in a class doesn't mean if someone likes it a different way that they are wrong. Thats the whole point of food, is that it isn't quantitative, its that it is qualitative, which means there is no definitive answer.

unit 07-20-2012 09:23 AM

not to mention a lot of people have way better tastes in wine than the chefs and sommeliers in restaurants.

Great68 07-20-2012 11:02 AM

What's rediculous are our liquor laws for taking an opened bottle of wine from a restaurant home.

Seriously, what's with the requirement to bag/cover the bottle? It's like "OH NO, SOMEONE MIGHT SEE A BOTTLE OF WINE!"

unit 07-20-2012 12:44 PM

yah our liquor laws are just too strict here.
when i was in france i took a bottle out of a restaurant, and he even partially recorked it for me and gave me 2 plastic cups! bought a baguette later and enjoyed them by the river.