REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
neighbours complaint

So.. the new house I moved into has this really pain in the ass neighbour.

she and the other neighbour has complained to spca multiple times about our dogs and we ve upgraded our fences for their safety.

so anyways.. spca came today again and told us that we have to put my pitbulls on muzzle if i take them to the backyard to do their thing.

My question now is Why the F do i have to? do i have to put muzzle on my dogs EVEN in my own private property

if it was out for walks at public parks I understand because there is a bylaw regulation stating that pitbulls in burnbay + richmond needs to be leashed and muzzled at all times in public places.

But SPCA said EVEN my own backyard?

I called cityhall today and they couldnt give me an answer. so where else should I ask?
Advertisement
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
RS Lurker, I don't post!

you have some effed neighbours. i don't think you have to muzzle them because it is your house and your yard. its fenced off and i am assuming your dogs are not running around in your neighbour's yards; however, be careful because you could get a citation for a BS allegation.
sway-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

yeah there is so many bylaw regulations and etc. canada is a law country afterall.
but seriously? muzzle my own dogs in my OWN backyard wtf?

hey buddy lets go washroom, "but first come here and let me muzzle you so we can take you to pee in the backyard lawn"

when spca first came by the first time I already upgraded my fence and screwed sooo many screws into Each fence slides to make it impossible for me to even kick through.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
why don't you just knock on your neighbors door and have a nice civil chat with them? find out exactly what their reasoning, and show them how there is no way your dogs can get through to their side.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You should ask the SPCA which regulation/bylaw/act it is... did they say you had to by law, or just strongly recommend it?
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Call the City bylaw Dept and ask them if there is such a requirement.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Shorn, when we first moved it, we talk to all our neighbours to introuduce ourselves.
and yes my mom had a talk with them, and everything seemed fine but who KNEW theyd go stab your back.

I even talked to them and she even said I love pitbulls, i used to own one

thanks guys I will cal the city bylaw dept today
Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/asse..._info11507.pdf

Every owner of a Dangerous Dog must:

•ensure that the dog is not allowed off the
owner’s property unless the dog is:
- on a leash;
- muzzled; and
- under the care and control of an owner

•ensure the dog is securely confined at all times,
either indoors or in an enclosure, while the dog
is on the owner’s property or controlled by the
owner.

I don't see anywhere in the by-law that states the dog has to be muzzled on private property.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Did he (SPCA) said you need to muzzle your dog outside for safety reason or was it because the dog is constantly barking outside?

I don't think they have any reason (or right) to ask you to muzzle your dog on your private property for the former.
But if your dog is constantly barking outside and annoying your neighbours, they have a good reason to ask you to muzzle your dog.

No one likes a neighbours with a constantly barking dog...it is annoying as fuck
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
she and the other neighbour has complained to spca multiple times about our dogs and we ve upgraded our fences for their safety.
Is your neighbours complaining about your dog being aggressive (i.e. saftey concern) or it being a noise nuisance?
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Did he (SPCA) said you need to muzzle your dog outside for safety reason or was it because the dog is constantly barking outside?

I don't think they have any reason (or right) to ask you to muzzle your dog on your private property for the former.
But if your dog is constantly barking outside and annoying your neighbours, they have a good reason to ask you to muzzle your dog.

No one likes a neighbours with a constantly barking dog...it is annoying as fuck
oh trust me, the only dog thats barking is her two fucking boston terriers, they bark all day.

and my dogs are just always sniffing the fence when their dogs are also at the yard. thats pretty much it
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
無敵

Should report her dog for barking
My neighbours used to have a dog that went off all day everyday. It was annoying as hell. -_-;

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

So which city are you residing in? There are provincial AND city bylaws. The link posted above is for dogs labelled as ``dangerous`` only. Anyways the bylaw for Richmond states

Every owner of a Dangerous Dog must:

•ensure that the dog is not allowed off the
owner’s property unless the dog is:
- on a leash;
- muzzled; and
- under the care and control of an owner

•ensure the dog is securely confined at all times,
either indoors or in an enclosure, while the dog
is on the owner’s property or controlled by the
owner.

I don`t think inside a fence is an enclosure. I think it means in a kennel of some sort if it is to be outside on your yard, whether fenced or not. I could be mistaken, but you should verify with the city, whichever city you reside in.

If you are from Vancouver, check this out,
Dangerous Dogs: Protection Strategy

Dangerous Dog By-Laws

Many Canadian municipalities have enacted Dangerous or Vicious Dog By-laws which provide a measure of protection to the general public and authority to local staff for the seizure and impoundment of vicious dogs. (The term “dangerous” and “vicious” is used interchangeably in this report). Saskatchewan is the only Canadian province with province-wide dangerous dog legislation. Generally, where such by-laws have been enacted, dogs deemed dangerous must be muzzled and kept on a leash when on public property and enclosed either inside a house or in a pen when on private property. These by-laws are generally not breed specific.

In the City of Vancouver, any of the five pit bull breeds and cross breeds are automatically considered a vicious dog under the Animal Control By-Law. The Vicious Dog By-Law, passed in 1987 as an amendment to the Animal Control By-Law, also defines any dog with a known propensity to attack or that has bitten a person or animal without provocation as vicious. Two by-law regulations pertain specifically to vicious dogs, including the requirement for these animals to be muzzled when out in public and securely confined either indoors or in an enclosed pen when on private property. Any person in violation of these by-law provisions is liable to a fine of not less than $200.00 per offence.
10-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
I am Hook'd on RS

i think the best thing to do is talk with the neighbors again and see what their problem is
blakgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

The only ones that should be muzzled, leashed and confined are the idiots who raise their pitbulls to be dangerous and aggressive.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

10-9 I ve already read that and thats for Dangerous dogs only.
my dogs have never bit or attack anyone or anything

and I m in burnaby
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
I subscribe to Revscene

Some municipalities deem certain breeds of dogs "dangerous". It doesn't matter if your particular dog has ever bitten anyone, just being a pitbull makes it "dangerous" in the eyes of the city.

Typical goverrnment knee-jerk reactions.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
All black people eat chicken and waffles while drinking cool aid and listening to rap; all Muslims are terrorists packing suicide bombs; all Native people live in teepees and wear war paint; all Asians are cheap and can't drive; and of course, all Pitbulls, Dobermans, and Presa Canarios are dangerous dogs.

If I lived in Richmond or Burnaby, I'd absolutely be working to have these foolish restrictions revoked.

Best of luck, Xilley.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Some municipalities deem certain breeds of dogs "dangerous". It doesn't matter if your particular dog has ever bitten anyone, just being a pitbull makes it "dangerous" in the eyes of the city.

Typical goverrnment knee-jerk reactions.
yeah it fucking sucks cause dogs are what owners want them to be, sure as heck a golden retriever could be just as or even more aggressive than a pitbull.

heres a pic of my male pitbull with his pup from 6 months ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 396439_10151312767800716_1734611792_n.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #20
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
i may have missed it, but have the neighbours ever asked you to keep the dogs inside because they bark too much ? I would have assumed they would have done that first rather then to call spca. If my neighbour had a dog that barked at night all the time, first id go ask them kindly to keep the dog inside as it is a nuisance to my sleeping-routine and i have work in the morning, and if they couldnt then ok maybe call spca. Now im not siding with your neighbours in this, but as common courtesy , IF your dogs bark so much at night , can't you keep them inside at night ?

btw cute pits K :P

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
i may have missed it, but have the neighbours ever asked you to keep the dogs inside because they bark too much ? I would have assumed they would have done that first rather then to call spca. If my neighbour had a dog that barked at night all the time, first id go ask them kindly to keep the dog inside as it is a nuisance to my sleeping-routine and i have work in the morning, and if they couldnt then ok maybe call spca. Now im not siding with your neighbours in this, but as common courtesy , IF your dogs bark so much at night , can't you keep them inside at night ?

btw cute pits K :P
yeah you did miss it, I ve already said up top that my dogs dont bark - -
thats why my parents said pitbulls are no guard dogs, they dont even bark when people ring the bell.

and the only fucking dogs barking are the neighbours boston terriers man, they bark alll day. at 3 am their still barking.
I never filed a complaint, I just didnt think it was necessary since we re all neighbours and especially when we re side by side.
all dogs bark, so i didnt see the need to do that.

and only thing that My dogs does is sniff at the fence When their dogs are also at their backyard. thats it
not like my dogs fricking jumps over and wrestles their dogs, or even Bark at them. nothing
this is why i m so fustrated, not like my dogs posed any threat to you or your fucking boston terriers.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I see very few pitbull owners who arent wearing big stupid gold and silver chains, tattoos all over and a scowl on their faces. Around here (Surrey) they drive rebuilt escalades, 300C's and mustang convertibles...

that being said - they shouldnt have to be muzzled if they're in a properly fenced backyard and cannot escape.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
10-9 I ve already read that and thats for Dangerous dogs only.
my dogs have never bit or attack anyone or anything

and I m in burnaby
The info. I posted was for Richmond and Vancouver. With Richmond, a dangerous dog is a title given to dogs from previous issues, whereas in Vancouver it is breed specific as well. You need to check what Burnaby is, because if it is anything like Vancouver`s bylaw, you are out of luck. Although your neighbours may be considered `rats`, they aren`t the ones that make or enforce the law. They may have legitimate concern with their safety, their children, or children of other neighbours. It is stigma pitbulls are all aggressive and will bite everyone, and owners do have a huge part of how dogs behave, but as an owner, you should be have been aware with all the bylaws and etc in regards having a dog as a pet, and specific breeds as well.

PS. You should call and complain about the noise your terriers make.
10-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-9 View Post
The info. I posted was for Richmond and Vancouver. With Richmond, a dangerous dog is a title given to dogs from previous issues, whereas in Vancouver it is breed specific as well. You need to check what Burnaby is, because if it is anything like Vancouver`s bylaw, you are out of luck. Although your neighbours may be considered `rats`, they aren`t the ones that make or enforce the law. They may have legitimate concern with their safety, their children, or children of other neighbours. It is stigma pitbulls are all aggressive and will bite everyone, and owners do have a huge part of how dogs behave, but as an owner, you should be have been aware with all the bylaws and etc in regards having a dog as a pet, and specific breeds as well.

PS. You should call and complain about the noise your terriers make.
I actually am aware of the bylaw and do my research etc, BUT I have yet to hear about dogs needing to be MUZZLED in private property which is why I made this thread. they might as well tell me to muzzle my pits in my own house.

and your last sentece, not sure if its a typo or..
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
oh trust me, the only dog thats barking is her two fucking boston terriers, they bark all day.

and my dogs are just always sniffing the fence when their dogs are also at the yard. thats pretty much it
why dont you video record yours and their dogs in the backyard and call SPCA and show them the video of whos dog is the noisy one