REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #201
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Dane Cook...

Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #202
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA View Post
Actually, if you own firearms and have basic knowledge of how they function, everything that was said about the model name, operation, bugs/problems, and limitations, would be common info to you.

I'm surprised at how people in Canada have SO LITTLE knowledge about firearms, acutally. It's sad.

Is it really that surprising and "sad"?
Most Canadians do not own firearms, and many have no real intention of ever owning or using one.

And not surprisingly, they actually could care less about the fine details of guns and usage.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #203
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
That was kind of funny. Also Americans don't care so why should we care about a mass shootings.

And Americans don't care. If they really did they would would do something about it.
Reading your dumbass post again actually gave me cancer.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #204
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
Reading your dumbass post again actually gave me cancer.
Americans don't care. If they did they would do something about it but they don't. Nothing changes so it happens again and again. It's just not shocking anymore. One person survived Columbine and now lost a friend in Aurora. Mass shooting are now common in the US.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #205
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
And how do you propose they stop mass shootings? It's not like the shooter calls the cops ahead of time..you never know when it's going to happen.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #206
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Who cares, I'm still alive
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #207
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
And how do you propose they stop mass shootings? It's not like the shooter calls the cops ahead of time..you never know when it's going to happen.
I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm assuming he's talking about gun control laws
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #208
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Try something. It's better than doing absolutely nothing. Why does a person need BP armor? why does a person need a 100 round mag?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #209
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Try something. It's better than doing absolutely nothing. Why does a person need BP armor? why does a person need a 100 round mag?
how else are you gonna take out today's modern super animals, like the flying squirrel or the electric eel?
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #210
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
USA is stuck in a sticky situation. Its like they let hell loose, so you can't really contain it.
You have people wanting guns for protection, only because criminals can obtain guns so easily in the first place.

I was down in Oregon (this state has no gun law at all I think) a few months ago at a gun range. my friends and I were just having casual talk with the cashier. he was asking us why we like living in Canada better? we said its safer, not everyone has a gun. He said its safer in USA, cause they got guns for protection... Lol

Since I was at the gun range, there was an event happening with their club members. one if them was this girl, probably 16 ish. Had a handgun holstered in her belt. That image just looked really weird to me...
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #211
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

some updates

"Colorado Suspect Faces 142 Counts in Shooting Rampage"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/us...-shooting.html
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #212
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I don't know if anyone posted this yet but apparently there are 2 people who are planning to sue the theater.

Torrence Brown, Jr. files first Aurora shooting-related lawsuit
Mother of Aurora Shooting Victim Plans to Sue Theater - National News - AllMediaNY
peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #213
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #214
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

Most Canadians do not own firearms, and many have no real intention of ever owning or using one.

And not surprisingly, they actually could care less about the fine details of guns and usage.
which is why most people have a fear of firearms, or an ignorant stance regarding laws and gun control, because they have never been exposed to them.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #215

Quote:

There are over 2 million licensed firearms owners in Canada, and over 8 million registered guns. I would say that's a significant chunk and shouldn't be taken lightly. You don't hear about shooting deaths in Canda everyday in the news because we DO have strict gun control methods, and firearms owners are just regular people like you and I, going about minding their own business and not going around shooting people. It is a sport, a hobby, and a way of life (hunting).

The lack of education on firearms is what creates the fear for them - "you fear what you don't know/understand". Look at how people freak the hell out at the sight of a water gun that barely resembles a real one. This is a society where people are brainwashed by the media and politicians into thinking that these OBJECTS are the real evil behind all tragic shootings, and not the person that pulled the trigger. It's pure sensationalism at its best.

It is "sad" because with proper education on these tools, yes, guns are tools, accidents and misuses could be prevented. Just like sex ed, people will do it no matter what, but with proper info and education out there, people will have the skills to make up their own mind and not be brainwashed by what's being told to them.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #216

Quote:
USA is stuck in a sticky situation. Its like they let hell loose, so you can't really contain it.
You have people wanting guns for protection, only because criminals can obtain guns so easily in the first place.
The difference is that almost no criminals buy guns from legitimate channels, at least not in Canada. USA has many loopholes that can be exploited that's for sure. I think our current gun control measures are decent.

Quote:
I was down in Oregon (this state has no gun law at all I think) a few months ago at a gun range. my friends and I were just having casual talk with the cashier. he was asking us why we like living in Canada better? we said its safer, not everyone has a gun. He said its safer in USA, cause they got guns for protection... Lol
You're being judgemental. Totally different gun cultures down south. What seems normal to you is odd for them, and vice versa.

Quote:
Since I was at the gun range, there was an event happening with their club members. one if them was this girl, probably 16 ish. Had a handgun holstered in her belt. That image just looked really weird to me...
Again, being judgemental. I'm not saying I'd want my 16 yr old daughter to be packing heat even if she could, but it's a choice thing and people should respect that. Just cuz you don't like it / find it weird, doesn't mean it is.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #217

How exactly is a gun a tool in today's society?

Everyone claims it does something, but what exactly does it do?
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
How exactly is a gun a tool in today's society?

Everyone claims it does something, but what exactly does it do?
Trap/skeet shooting
Hunting
Target shooting
Cross-country Biathlon
Pest control on farms (yeah there are actually people that don't live in the city)

Heck, I'd even call them sporting equipments. They are the same to me as bows and arrows in archery. Some of these are Olympic sports, mind you.

Also, just because you buy meat from your supermarket, doesn't mean someone didn't have to use some form of lethal weapon (knives, chainsaw, guns) to kill the animals that you all love to feast on. People are just ignorant to the fact that as long as they don't see or do the killing, that it didn't happen. So when hunters acutally go out and hunt for their own meat, they are called out for being heartless.

Yeah...
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #219

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Lethal force is a way of life, where the hell do you guys think you get your food from?

A blade is designed to cut

A gun is designed to fire a bullet

A bow is designed to launch an arrow

A fire burns

All of the above can be used as tools/mechanisms for survival, sport, and war, yet only one is being acknowledged and criticized by the masses for being "designed to kill", mostly by people that have been sheltered by modern urban society, despite the fact that all of them can be harnessed by criminals.

Let's look at how the above tools have been used to kill people over the course of human history.

-Blades have been used to stab, slice, and skin humans for years.

-Guns have been used by to blow holes in humans for years.

-Bows have been used to impale humans for years.

-Fire has been used to burn humans alive for years.

Yet only the gun has been called a menace to society in recent years, and it isn't even the most efficient weapon in the list. Holmes could have made a flame thrower and coated everyone in that theatre in napalm.

All of the above tools/mechanisms can be harnessed for good or evil, and yet people are blaming only one of them because it happened to be used by a mass murderer.

Imagine if Holmes was armed with an array of kitchen knives and starting stabbing people to death, people would be blaming the inanimate knife for the murders, pushing for knife registration and background checks.

What the fuck people, you're acting like getting rid of a piece of machinery will suddenly cure some human's desire to slay others.

We don't live in a dream world.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 07-30-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #220

Really now, are you comparing a blade to a gun?? Still though you haven't answered the question, how is a gun a tool we can use today? At least with. Blade I can cut fruits, I can cut meat, what does a gun do for a regular citizen??

And I don't think anyone here actually thinks banning guns would stop people from killing each other, that's an argument you made up. Why do you think gangs use guns now instead of blades or whatever you are arguing with?

My view is gun is more lethal, easily hidden, and doesn't add to the society. And if there's no use for it, why have it around? Unless you can prove otherwise.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #221

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
A firearm has many purposes, not everybody lives in a large city.

Purposes include, but are not limited to;

-Hunting
-Target shooting
-Home defense

There are millions of firearms registered in Canada, let's assume that each owner has three of those registered firearms, obviously they are not useless, or else there would be none.

And yes, I am comparing a blade to a firearm, they are both inanimate objects, and they both require a very high level of care when used. A firearm is as dangerous as a tooth pick without the human element.

Banning firearms on a retail level will not take the firearms out of the hands of criminals, it will only deprive the citizens of a means to have fun, hunt, and protect.

I'm hearing a lot of un-informed people complaining that if guns had been banned, a massacre would not have occured, that is simply not the case, and I did not make it up.

Judging by the amount of fun I have when I go target shooting, and how much you feel that there is no need or use for firearms, I can safely assume that you hate having fun, or you hate seeing others have fun.

One of the people I go shooting with keeps a shotgun locked up in his bedroom, he also has two other sporting guns that he brings when we go to shoot, I would not consider them useless.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 07-30-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #222
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

You do realize that 30% of Canadians actually own a firearm, right? And that this number is one of the highest per-capita in the world, third within civilized nations? There are enough registered guns in Canada for 7 million people, with actual estimations nearing closer to 20 million once you factor in old guns that have never been registered since the various bills came into affect.

I don't own any guns, but I know people who do both in Canada and the USA. Oh, and guess what... none of them, even those in Amurika, are people you would think twice about. They're all family oriented individuals who happen to enjoy going out to the range to shoot their rifles. It's a sport for many of us, not unlike taking our cars out to the drag strip.

Quote:
My view is gun is more lethal, easily hidden, and doesn't add to the society. And if there's no use for it, why have it around? Unless you can prove otherwise.
Not everyone lives in the city or suburbs. My ex owns a farm out in the interior and owns a couple of guns for protection, not from people but from wildlife. Many of her neighbours owns guns as well because their livestock are constant prey for the wildlife in the area. Many of these people also go hunting for their food, both by fishing in a nearby river or into the forest for deer. These people are able to hunt, clean and cook their own food, AND not have to worry about the random crap we tend to have in our own supermarket bought meat.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #223
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Don't have a gun, don't plan on owning one, don't mind if others have them.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #224

Quote:
Still though you haven't answered the question, how is a gun a tool we can use today? At least with. Blade I can cut fruits, I can cut meat, what does a gun do for a regular citizen??

Did you not read my post? You kept asking how a gun is a tool, and I just answered it. Yet you're not satisfied with the answer. Guns, in the hands of the police, serve as tools to protect themselves or to engage criminals. In the hands of the army they are to protect citizens of this country, and in the hands of regular citizens WHO HAVE INTERESTS in target shooting activities, they are sporting equipments. Are you saying that hunters and target shooters are not regular citizens? Why are they put into a different category simply by owning firearms? What is "regular"? People that have kids, wives/husbands, 9-5 jobs, mortgages, bills, families and friends, etc? Guess what, firearms owners are all that, just like everyone else.

I think the problems in the US with guns is unique to that country, influenced by their history, diverse demographics, geography, and media. Even if you take guns out of the question, crazy people will still find ways to kill others. Look at the UK where guns have been banned for decades - yup, people are still getting murdered everyday, just not by guns.

The focus should be on the killer and how he ended up with the decision to plan and execute something horrible like this, and to find ways to prevent that through social programs and support.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #225
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
You do realize that 30% of Canadians actually own a firearm, right?
That stat strikes me as very inflated, please provide a credible source showing a comparable figure. I have only ever met a hand full of gun owners ever in urban areas of Canada, and since the majority of Canadians live in urban areas, I question that statistic.

As a whole, I find that Canadian gun laws have established a good balance between restriction and access.

I have both my restricted and non-restricted licenses, but since I live in the city at the moment, I feel no need to own a gun.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote