REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Speeding ticket in the US (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671563-speeding-ticket-us.html)

nano 07-29-2012 08:35 PM

Speeding ticket in the US

Got my first speeding ticket in the states today on the I5....13 mph over the 60mph limit :p anyways its my fault and going to send in a US money order to them tomorrow. Just curious what happens next and will I have any problems at the border crossing going forward?...When I mail them the money, will they mail be back a receipt or any way to prove that I paid the ticket?...I want hard copy receipt so in the future if this comes up at the border I can prove/show the agent.

Cheers

SoulCrusher 07-29-2012 08:43 PM

USCBP and CBSA dont enforce traffic violations. You should have no problems crossing the border. In the case you dont pay your fine, warrants may be issued at which point CBP can detain you if they run a crim check.

nano 07-29-2012 08:47 PM

cool..just out of curiousty when would a CBP run a crim check?....they won't be able to see the warrant/violation just by swiping my passport will they?

SoulCrusher 07-29-2012 09:07 PM

No. They will not see the traffic violation. A crim check would be run if your sent in for a secondary examination. Crim would show any outstanding warrants. Not all unpaid traffic violations would result in warrants being issued. Just understand that is an option the cops have down there. If you pay the fine, your good.

cdizzle_996 07-29-2012 09:54 PM

When I got mine, I sent the cheque to the Bellingham court house and never heard anything again. I did however send a certified cheque and made sure I kept my copy from the bank just in case.

SoulCrusher 07-30-2012 06:17 AM

thats a good idea. Keep some sort of record to show that you paid it. Id hate to be sitting in jail due to an administrative or clerical mistake. Ive seen it happen a couple of times

nano 08-01-2012 09:10 PM

so i have to bring my copy of the bank draft each time I cross the border just incase ? :p

JSALES 02-24-2013 08:47 PM

bumping this thread for a friend

he recently got a a court hearing for being caught driving too fast but was issued no ticket. so what happens to him? just appear in court and plead guilty?

SoulCrusher 02-24-2013 10:41 PM

Need more info. How fast was he driving. Was there any reason there was no ticket? Is there more involved than him just speeding? There's a missing element in what your telling us.
Posted via RS Mobile

JSALES 02-25-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulCrusher (Post 8169226)
Need more info. How fast was he driving. Was there any reason there was no ticket? Is there more involved than him just speeding? There's a missing element in what your telling us.
Posted via RS Mobile

He told me the cop caught him doing 220 km/h (stupid, I know). I believe it was just speeding as he was in a rush to catch his flight out of Seattle but they handcuffed him and all that and eventually let him go.

SoulCrusher 02-25-2013 10:08 AM

So it looks like he was arrested and issued the equivalent of a promise to appear. Now he needs to figure out what he was arrested for. My guess is Reckless Driving otherwise they'd issue him a fine at the spot and move on. If it is multiple offenses, it will influence his admissibility to the US.

If the case is made for Reckless Driving (RCW: 46.61.500) its a gross misdemeanor punishable by fine and up to a year in jail.

If they decide on Exceeding speed limit evidence of reckless driving (RCW: 46.61.465). Misdemeanor offense punishable by fine.

He's needs a lawyer; not RS.