REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

HELP!! Eg Civic Speedo/odometer working intermittently

I have a 94 civic si coupe, and about 6 months after I bought it the speedometer and odometer started to only work about half the time. It seems to work when it is warm out or once it gets up to temperature. I had thought it was the speed sensor so I replaced it and nothing changed. I'm fairly stumped, I've been told that I may need to replace the cluster but it has such low k's for a 94 I doubt if ill be able to find one around the same number. And I dont want to change it unless I know thats the problem, does anyone know what my problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Advertisement
EGCivicSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGCivicSi View Post
I have a 94 civic si coupe, and about 6 months after I bought it the speedometer and odometer started to only work about half the time. It seems to work when it is warm out or once it gets up to temperature. I had thought it was the speed sensor so I replaced it and nothing changed. I'm fairly stumped, I've been told that I may need to replace the cluster but it has such low k's for a 94 I doubt if ill be able to find one around the same number. And I dont want to change it unless I know thats the problem, does anyone know what my problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

"odometer working intermittently" ... wonder what the real km's are...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I had a similar problem. I bought another cluster, swapped out the circuit board for the speedo/odometer and that fixed the problem.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
"odometer working intermittently" ... wonder what the real km's are...
It just stopped working, thats why I want to fix it.
EGCivicSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

VSS. Any cel lights? Check all the wireing for vss.
highmfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
J89
RS controls my life!

hit it hard, my dads old civic use to have that problem lol.

than he bought a new speedo after he got tired of hitting it lol.
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

these cars are super common for the vehicle speed sensor to go its above the transmission google will give you exact location ,ive go a 93 and the clusters got nothing to do with it
gotn/a? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Get another cluster and swap the speedometers
BMAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Ive had this problem on all the EGs ive owned.

sometimes its the cluster, sometimes its the speedo head only, the VSS or the most recent one that ive come across, the VSS harness. Check all of these and you'll find your problem.
Hioto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

same situation with my 98 civic. VSS. check harness/connectors. some with corrosion. especially if it comes on/off when you accelerate or hit a bump.

or if not, then you go to cluster.

good luck
marikina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

check to see the pin in the harness that connect to the vss in the trans some times they get corroded de pin them and clean em up.
6o4allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I've got the same problem. Apparently resoldering the connections on the circuit board does the trick. I'm going to give it a try next week.

If nothing else, it's off to the pick and pull to rip a new board off of a cluster and see if that fixes it.
arbkcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbkcin View Post
I've got the same problem. Apparently resoldering the connections on the circuit board does the trick. I'm going to give it a try next week.

If nothing else, it's off to the pick and pull to rip a new board off of a cluster and see if that fixes it.
So I just ended up replacing the PCB with one from the wreckers and it works perfectly now. I'm guessing resoldering would have worked, too, but simply replacing the board rather than mucking about was worlds easier.

$20 and 20 minutes of disassembly and reassembly.
arbkcin is offline   Reply With Quote