REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   icbc driver points/what to expect at court for dispute (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671639-icbc-driver-points-what-expect-court-dispute.html)

doritos 07-31-2012 02:18 AM

icbc driver points/what to expect at court for dispute

how many points does it take or speeding tickets to lose your class 5 license? what do i need to know and prepare for dispute for one of my tickets? I know I am guilty of two of them so I am paying them, but I need to know if I will lose my license if I do not win my 3rd ticket? they are speeding against highway sign. about 10-20 over. Do people dress nice to go to court? what is the process when I arrive? is the court full of people watching? Thanks

Razor Ramon HG 07-31-2012 02:59 AM

If they're all speeding against highway sign, they're 3pts each.

So as it stands, you have 6pts. If you lose your third ticket, you will have 9pts in total. IIRC, you need about 15pts in order for a suspension if you have your class five, and points stay on your record for up to five years.

sho_bc 07-31-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doritos (Post 7990287)
Do people dress nice to go to court?

They generally dress business casual to make a better impression, but I've seen people show up in jeans and t-shirts.

Quote:

what is the process when I arrive?
Figure out which court room you're going to be in and wait for court to be called in session/follow everyone else in. This is also your opportunity, if you wish to take it, to speak with the police officer who issued you the ticket. During this time, you can find out what the evidence is against you. The officer may offer a deal of some kind as incentive to plead guilty and save everyone a trial, though if the fine on your speeding ticket is $138, it doesn't get any lower than that.

Quote:

is the court full of people watching?
Yep! Everyone else who got a ticket and disputed it, and sometimes some people who show up to simply watch.

Simnut 07-31-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 7990300)
If they're all speeding against highway sign, they're 3pts each.

So as it stands, you have 6pts. If you lose your third ticket, you will have 9pts in total. IIRC, you need about 15pts in order for a suspension if you have your class five, and points stay on your record for up to five years.

I believe they stay on your record permanently......I may be wrong. They won't show up if you do a driving record check (for work for instance) because they only go back 5 years.

sebberry 07-31-2012 10:25 AM

Don't forget that in addition to the tickets, there are also penalty point premiums, so if you got two of those tickets within 12 months of each other, then you're looking at an additional $300 when you renew your insurance.

So those $138 tickets might as well have been for $288

Who knew going with the flow of traffic could be so hazardous to your driving record and pocketbook?

inv4zn 07-31-2012 10:41 AM

I may be wrong, but I thought the penalty point premiums are calculated a bit differently.

Something about how the day for "one year" starts about 5 months before your birthday.

I got a ticket in November, and I was told by both the police officer and the ICBC clerk when I paid that as long as I don't get another ticket before April (since my birthday is September) I won't have additional premiums.

So I don't think it's 1 year from your last ticket, but that 1 year always starts 5 months before your birthday - strange system.

doritos 07-31-2012 11:45 AM

thanks for the input guys, damnit i am feeling nervous now since the court will have people watching. does the judge talk to me first ?

nabs 07-31-2012 12:12 PM

its a process, even if you are there and there are many cases ahead of your own then the judge may not even get to your case, in that case the ticket will be discarded. It happened to me once.

They say to get there 8 or 9AM however you could be waiting all day for them to hear your case unless you plead guilty.

doritos 08-01-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 7990561)
its a process, even if you are there and there are many cases ahead of your own then the judge may not even get to your case, in that case the ticket will be discarded. It happened to me once.

They say to get there 8 or 9AM however you could be waiting all day for them to hear your case unless you plead guilty.

how would I know if it is decided to be discarded and are we allowed to leave if it takes hours to get to my case? do they announce our names to come up to the stand?

zulutango 08-01-2012 05:23 AM

Your name will be on the trial list outside the courtroom door, in alphabetical list. They can go ahead in any order the court wants. Usually each Cop gets to do all their tickets and move on to the next one, at least that was the way all the court dates I ever attended. They usually tried to get the Members with the fewest tickets back on the road first and then moved to the remaining ones.

Just be there at the time indicated and wait your turn...whenever it is. If you are pleading guilty with a request for lower fine and have worked out a "deal" then usually you will be heard much quicker. You need to sit in the courtroom and come forward when your name is called out.

Coming dressed like you just finished an all-nighter at a rave will not endear you to the JP as all court users are required to show "respect for the court". That's why you stay silent, stand when addressed and bow when the JP enters and leaves. That sort of thing. A suit will not get you off the charge but displaying bad attitude will not help your case. The JP is human.

FerrariEnzo 08-01-2012 06:05 AM

Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences - ICBC

Driver Penalty Points premium chart

Driver Risk Premium

So when you get to court, if the cop is there (I think most cops will show up now) they will talk to you and explain that you have 2 options, plea guilty and get it done or plea not guilty and go into trial.
I recently went for a ticket (not having a skytrain ticket) and i just dressed up in shirt/shorts. I plea guilty and ask for fine reduction and time to pay.

The only people in court are the ones waiting for their turn to speak to the judge.

As for loosing your license, it really depends, how serious it is...
The records stay on your file for 5 years before they come off..

Innovazn 08-13-2012 08:06 PM

my .02 cents as i was in traffic court last wednesday.

Talk to the cop when he arrives prior to the hearing.
My guy was pretty nice, 39 km over limit.

Told him i was broke, skipped work just for this stated my GPS and Speedo stated differently from what he stated but will not argue the fact.

My concern to him was that I could not lose my license under any circumstance as I am expecting my first born coming January.

Done, the deal is plead guilty, lesser fine, no points. Hand shake.

Took a total of 38 seconds from the time i got to the stand and me stepping off the stand.

wing_woo 08-14-2012 09:25 AM

In my experience, most cops are quite nice and they are out in front of the courts prior to the hearing to talk to people. When I was there, there was one cop talking to people and giving them deals.
He even asked if he can help me and when I told him I was looking for another officer, he said that he'll be there soon and when he showed up, he even announced the other officer arrived if anyone was here to see him.

They expect people to try to make deals with them before court. Just be nice and state your case to them.

In my situation though, the officer had made a mistake and admitted it so he basically told me to show up at court to make sure he was there. When he showed up, we shook hands outside, and he said I can go as he will plead not guilty for me and have the ticket withdrawn.

murd0c 08-14-2012 01:37 PM

Just to let you know if you over pay for ticket by $5 ICBC will send you a check to cover that. If you just toss the check out you will never have to pay for those points. Yes it's not the best move but it's one of these loop holes that have always worked.

ninjatune 08-14-2012 01:41 PM

lol i dont think so