REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Rental Cars in Vegas

Hi Folks,

Which website or company do you use to select a rental car while in Vegas?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
dutd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Hertz, Alamo, and Enterprise all have rental cars in Vegas.
In January, I rented a brand new Corolla with just 13 miles on the odometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
how cheap are the rental cars? per day rate?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Our family selected Enterprise and rented a Town & Country for our day trip to Grand Canyon. Overall was not bad, just that interior was poorly maintained, found salsa stains in third row cup holders

edit: price was 70ish, dont remember precisely but included insurance and coverage of course
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Dollar is another one of the companies in vegas.

We got a pretty new 2012 Altima with only 2000 miles on the clock.

24 bucks a day for 4 days totalling $136 for the trip for a full size car. No insurance/coverage by them.

Even better if you have the chance to apply for Dollar express membership. Its free to join and you select your dates and everything, when you arrive you skip the main reception desk (huge ass line) and go directly to the garage to pick your car first.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Alamo has great rates and service. Picked up a 2013 kia sorrento, drove it from san fran to LA and discovered there were lots of dog hair under the carpet. Since i have allergy i called the office in LA and went in to trade for a new car. They did not have anything in that class, so I got upgraded to a 2012 Ford explorer with all the bells and whistles. They apologized and did not charge me anything extra on top.

Would definitely rent from them in the future. And ya, USE the express checkout when you book, we skipped the LONG line at the airport and picked up our car in the parkade with zero wait time.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
i use expedia, then choose the best rate.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
^^^

Did the same thing in Maui except we used the Costco site. Our rates was $200 for the week in a Corolla whereas some guy walked and up and was told $1000 for the 3 weeks he was going to be there for work.

Vegas was cheap. I think it was less than $20 per day
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Just remember one thing, GET INSURANCE.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
Just remember one thing, GET INSURANCE.
Are you speaking from experience LOL?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
Alamo has great rates and service. Picked up a 2013 kia sorrento, drove it from san fran to LA and discovered there were lots of dog hair under the carpet. Since i have allergy i called the office in LA and went in to trade for a new car. They did not have anything in that class, so I got upgraded to a 2012 Ford explorer with all the bells and whistles. They apologized and did not charge me anything extra on top.

Would definitely rent from them in the future. And ya, USE the express checkout when you book, we skipped the LONG line at the airport and picked up our car in the parkade with zero wait time.
I'm looking at Hotwire.com and they seem to have some really good prices. Did you go the the company website itself (e.g. Dollar, Hertz etc.?)

Also, how long was the line when you dropped off the car? I'm wondering what time I should get there if my flight leaves at 2:30pm in Vegas (when we leave).

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Well my friends rented one and almost didnt get insurance , one day they had some bumper to bumper action .

Luckily they made the right choice , its only a few bucks i heard
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
oh yeah, buy icbc third party insurance, then just take the papers there with you and let them know you have third party insurance...

if you buy it from icbc insurance is 10 bucks a day, all in. if you get it from rental co its more like 20ish a day.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
I'm looking at Hotwire.com and they seem to have some really good prices. Did you go the the company website itself (e.g. Dollar, Hertz etc.?)

Also, how long was the line when you dropped off the car? I'm wondering what time I should get there if my flight leaves at 2:30pm in Vegas (when we leave).

Thanks again.
I went directly to Alamo site and booked it with them. The rate on their site changes constantly. I paid 170 for 7 days for a standard SUV, 2 weeks before our trip, the price jumped to almost 350 for the same vehicle.

Drop off was VERY easy if you are dropping off at the airport. You pull up to the lane, leave the driver door open, an associate comes with a barcode scanner, scans a barcode inside the car then instantly prints out a receipt. Then off you go, took us less than 1 minute before we were on our way.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
I went directly to Alamo site and booked it with them. The rate on their site changes constantly. I paid 170 for 7 days for a standard SUV, 2 weeks before our trip, the price jumped to almost 350 for the same vehicle.

Drop off was VERY easy if you are dropping off at the airport. You pull up to the lane, leave the driver door open, an associate comes with a barcode scanner, scans a barcode inside the car then instantly prints out a receipt. Then off you go, took us less than 1 minute before we were on our way.
Thanks for the info!

I have been to Vegas two times, once without a car and once with a car (since I drove down there on a road trip). How important is it to have a car down there? I mean, I worked out the cost of taking a taxi every where and it's almost cheaper to have a car (but I would have the hassle of having to park).

What do you guys think?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Well it really depends what are you there for.

If you are not drinking, it's not a bad idea to drive. Everytime I go (3-4 times a year) I drive. It makes it easier to travel all around and you're only paying 2-3$ as tip for parking. It makes it easier to head to the outlets too since you will be buying lots (well at least I would) and you can head out to the outlets farther away.

It will also not limit you staying only on the strip and go somewhere else in Vegas just to have fun and screw around.

Any questions feel free to shoot.

Cheers
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Well it really depends what are you there for.

If you are not drinking, it's not a bad idea to drive. Everytime I go (3-4 times a year) I drive. It makes it easier to travel all around and you're only paying 2-3$ as tip for parking. It makes it easier to head to the outlets too since you will be buying lots (well at least I would) and you can head out to the outlets farther away.

It will also not limit you staying only on the strip and go somewhere else in Vegas just to have fun and screw around.

Any questions feel free to shoot.

Cheers
Hey I think in the Vegas thread that you said you stayed at Aria with a couple of friends. What type of room did you get and did you try the $20 trick?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #18

I m heading there soon not yet =P

I was there a few months ago did the $20 trick with a $50 and got upgraded to a big ass suite @ Vdara.

I had the cheapest room @ Vdara and got 1 Bedroom Penthouse Suite for 4 nights.

Cheers!
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
I m heading there soon not yet =P

I was there a few months ago did the $20 trick with a $50 and got upgraded to a big ass suite @ Vdara.

I had the cheapest room @ Vdara and got 1 Bedroom Penthouse Suite for 4 nights.

Cheers!
Sorry to bug you again but how many people were with you that time you tried the trick at Vdara?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #20

4, but we had 2 rooms!