REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
Professionalism

Recently, I wanted to get into some volunteer work and my friend who worked at a local community centre was able to hook me up with a volunteer experience today. It is a daycamp and for today's activity we went to a park/waterpark. Since I am completely new, and I joined the daycamp mid-way through, no one knew me except my friend, and a few people I just knew from outside the daycamp.

Now, as I was keeping an eye out for the kids, I noticed one of the more senior leaders on the swingsets. I walked up to him and jokingly said "Hey, man are you slacking off? I'm keeping my eyes on you!". I guess he didn't appreciate the joke because he then went up to my friend who brought me in and said "who is that guy, he has got to go."

Now my friend is telling me, if I want to continue volunteering, he has to talk to the guy about this situation. What are you guy's take on this situation? I feel like if I apologize, I'm almost apologizing for my personality, rather than something I did.
Advertisement
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
This guy is a leader and he's speaking through your friend? I don't know this guy, just drawing my own conclusions from what you've said. This leader seems a bit uptight. Is everyone a volunteer, or just you? How old is this leader?

Nonetheless, with the first day on a job (volunteering or not), good lasting impressions should be made. I think you've learnt a lesson here definitely not worth repeating ever again. Even if you don't apologize, I'd still nix those loose lips.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Tell him to change his panties, they aren't letting his balls drop.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Sounds like this "senior" leader is probably young since he is not mature enough to talk to you about it face to face, let alone take a joke.

I wouldn't apologize. If i really wanted to stay, i would just explain myself since he probably took it out of context.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
You should volunteer somewhere else.

And watch what you say, especially when it comes to undermining authority. Jokingly or not.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I'd get out...unless the volunteer hours are much needed or you'll be out soon anyway

Guy sounds immature, even to me...guess it just depends who you're speaking with and the situation?
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
young grasshopper, you have to learn how to keep your mouth shut. I'm assuming you're in your early 20s? There is a lot of office politics to learn when you get to the real world.

There will always be people "do as I say not as I do", then there is "everyone is doing it so it's ok" and you sometimes have to value whether to fit in / versus conscience (stealing office supplies, taking 15 min. breaks whenever you're only suppose to take 10 etc)
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Uhh wtf?

First of all, u were just making a joke, a statement that doesnt even show that you are incompetent or inappropriate for the job. If you are for example, behaving out of misconduct, then yeah, he may have a point. But you just made a joke. As a leader, he is being overly sensitive and forcing you to leave because you made a mocking statement intended as a joke is absurd.

Second of all, why didnt your friend or the other staff introduce you to all the leaders that were there? That to me, doesnt make any sense at all.... You are working alongside people you dont even know, how the fuck are you supposed to work then? Solo-band in a cooperative environment?

Dont apologize, and dont feel like you have the need to do so. If the guy wants to be an all powerful overly-controlling princess that cant put up with a joke, and ur friend just wants to be a stuck up bosscock sucker, then they can go have intercourse with themselves.

Tht being said, if you still want to volunteer at this place, best action to take would be first, to formally introduce yourself to the camp leader, so that he knows you, and then explain your situation. DONT apologize because you have nothing to blame for. Assuming responsibility for an action you are not at fault for makes it even worse. That way, he actually has an excuse to impede more blame onto you. Explain yourself and tell him that you had not intended to make the statement uncomfortable for him. If you do just that, then you will have established what I like to call "professionalism".

If after that he is still pissed off, then fuck him and go volunteer elsewhere. There are plenty of volunteer programs that have psychologically normal human beings.

Last edited by instantneedles; 08-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I think you kind of brought this on yourself. On the first day of work, would you ever go upto your boss while he's surfing RS and say "Hey, are you slacking off? I'm keeping my eyes on you". Who made you baller-shot caller on day #1? Even if its a 2 week volunteer position you are not the leader yet. Shut up and proove your skills first then start yapping.

If I were you, I would go up and be diplomatic. "Yo, I think we got off on the wrong foot. I just thought a person in your position would have more responsibility. I didn't mean to offend you." or something along those lines.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I think you kind of brought this on yourself. On the first day of work, would you ever go upto your boss while he's surfing RS and say "Hey, are you slacking off? I'm keeping my eyes on you". Who made you baller-shot caller on day #1? Even if its a 2 week volunteer position you are not the leader yet. Shut up and proove your skills first then start yapping.

If I were you, I would go up and be diplomatic. "Yo, I think we got off on the wrong foot. I just thought a person in your position would have more responsibility. I didn't mean to offend you." or something along those lines.
Don't say that or you could make it worse.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
Thanks everyone. In the future, I will be careful about firing off my loose cannon, but I am the type of person that cannot hold something in, if I feel the need to say it. I am not talking about my joke in this case, as I can hold that in, but should any of my future bosses ever treat me unfairly in the future, I don't think I can hold it in.
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
^
Then you've learned nothing.

Life is not fair. Live with it.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Fail @ Life.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Be assertive, and confident without being an idiot. I would definitely confront the person about having a problem with it along the lines of. "I'm sorry that I offended you with that joke earlier. If anything I do offends you please let me know." It makes the point that you realize you may have done something dumb, but are grown up enough to take criticism and rectify the problem. If the guy was still being a bitch about it, heres where you make the decision. How much does this job mean to you? Is it worth telling this guy he's spineless? Embarrass him? Tell him to fuck off and leave? Swallow your pride and take it? Try and talk it out further? Play the scenarios in your mind before any confrontation, and weigh out the outcomes. Honestly though having been "the boss" at some points in my career, I'd never say I had an issue with someone to another employee, and try and get them to fix the conflict between us. Thats juvenile and pathetic.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
guddagudd.... good luck with your life. There are times when you gotta learn when to hold things in. Aren't there times when you know you're right but you have to swallow the pride and just let someone win so they don't look like a retard.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
Thanks everyone. In the future, I will be careful about firing off my loose cannon, but I am the type of person that cannot hold something in, if I feel the need to say it. I am not talking about my joke in this case, as I can hold that in, but should any of my future bosses ever treat me unfairly in the future, I don't think I can hold it in.
I hate to ask but would you ever tell your parents off if they treated you unfairly, like say for example, "Please do the dishes and do the laundry." But you're not feeling it and would rather sit there watching TV. Would you respond by saying, "Hey mom, fuck you, bitch!"

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #17

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
^ that's how it is for some white families

"mom bring me some fucking cookies!"

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
RS controls my life!

I've seen my friend say, "mom bring me some fucking brownies"

Little did I know his mom baked them with marijuana.... Never went back there again.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
^ that's how it is for some white families

"mom bring me some fucking cookies!"

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but...

Things you see on TV =/= Real Life
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

Ok, now you're just a liar.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #21

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

are you kidding me? this was first hand experience, and i don't watch tv anyways..
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

+1, I do not watch T.V and ive actually seen that a few times, from different ethnic families

Watching t.v is like asking for my brain to be brainwashed
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote