REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Nahhhhh you won't.
Try me
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Who was into the intersection first? First in has right of way. Who turned into what lane? You must turn into the closest open legal lane first.
Can you clarify this? I know right-turners are required to turn I to the first available lane, but left-turners are only required to turn into the first available lane if one or both of the roads are one-way.

Of course a good defensive driver will always turn it to the first available lane regardless and be on the lookout for those who don't.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Can you clarify this? I know right-turners are required to turn I to the first available lane, but left-turners are only required to turn into the first available lane if one or both of the roads are one-way.

Of course a good defensive driver will always turn it to the first available lane regardless and be on the lookout for those who don't.
by what your saying, if there are 3 lanes, and the first available lane is the furthest away, thats the lane the driver turns into??

As far as I know, left and right turners turn into the CLOSEST lane to them if the road has multiple lanes.
If you cant comeplete the turn because of traffic and think you are going to block the intersection, DONT FUCKING GO! I hate people who drives into the intersection and still ends up waiting but blocks other traffic...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Official words spoken here..

165 (1) If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn it to the right at an intersection, the driver must cause it to approach the intersection and then make the turn as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each highway entering the intersection, the driver must

(a) cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the portion of the right side of the roadway that is nearest the marked centre line, or if there is no marked centre line, then as far as practicable in the portion of the right half of the roadway that is nearest the centre line,

(b) keep the vehicle to the right of the marked centre line or centre line of the roadway, as the case may be, at the place the highway enters the intersection,

(c) after entering the intersection, turn the vehicle to the left so that it leaves the intersection to the right of the marked centre line of the roadway being entered, or if there is no marked centre line then to the right of the centre line of the roadway being entered, and,

(d) when practicable, turn the vehicle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.

(3) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn the vehicle left at an intersection where traffic is restricted to one direction on one or more of the highways, the driver must cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the extreme left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle, and after entering the intersection turn the vehicle to the left so as to leave the intersection as nearly as practicable in the left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle on the highway being entered.

(4) If at an intersection there is a traffic control device indicating the course to be travelled by vehicles turning at the intersection, a driver must turn a vehicle at the intersection in the manner directed by the traffic control device.

(5) A person must not turn a vehicle at an intersection unless it is in the position on the highway required by this section.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Official words spoken here..
So this still isn't completely clear: looking at the Google Maps link above of Lougheed and Harris, a car turning left from Lougheed westbound onto Harris southbound: is he required to only turn into the left-most southbound lane, or is he allowed to just swing wide into the right lane?

Quote:
(3) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn the vehicle left at an intersection where traffic is restricted to one direction on one or more of the highways, the driver must cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the extreme left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle, and after entering the intersection turn the vehicle to the left so as to leave the intersection as nearly as practicable in the left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle on the highway being entered.
This seems a little more obvious... here's one I ran into (almost literally) just today: 96 & 201, surrey - Google Maps

Okay, the Google satellite view is old, but... 201st St. is one-way northbound, five lanes approaching 96th Ave., four lanes after (left-most lane is a left-turn-only). 96th is four lanes, two each direction, plus offsetting left-turn bays.

I was westbound on 96th, needing to turn right on 201st (access to the Golden Ears Bridge). Traffic both directions on 96th had the advance left arrow. There was a steady stream turning left from eastbound to northbound. I stopped at the light, and then proceeded to turn right as it APPEARED to be clear.... except the truck turning left from the other direction was headed straight into the far-right lane of 201st. Fortunately I was quick enough on the brakes to stop before he T-boned me... but according to the section quoted above, he is DEFINITELY required to turn into the left-most northbound lane, yes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #31
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
This stuff you should have already learnt when getting your license...
Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #32
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So this still isn't completely clear: looking at the Google Maps link above of Lougheed and Harris, a car turning left from Lougheed westbound onto Harris southbound: is he required to only turn into the left-most southbound lane, or is he allowed to just swing wide into the right lane?

This seems a little more obvious... here's one I ran into (almost literally) just today: 96 & 201, surrey - Google Maps

Okay, the Google satellite view is old, but... 201st St. is one-way northbound, five lanes approaching 96th Ave., four lanes after (left-most lane is a left-turn-only). 96th is four lanes, two each direction, plus offsetting left-turn bays.

I was westbound on 96th, needing to turn right on 201st (access to the Golden Ears Bridge). Traffic both directions on 96th had the advance left arrow. There was a steady stream turning left from eastbound to northbound. I stopped at the light, and then proceeded to turn right as it APPEARED to be clear.... except the truck turning left from the other direction was headed straight into the far-right lane of 201st. Fortunately I was quick enough on the brakes to stop before he T-boned me... but according to the section quoted above, he is DEFINITELY required to turn into the left-most northbound lane, yes?
In one word.....YES. Then he can move into the curb lane later. Only exception would be that if the centre lane was blocked then he can turn into the first clear lane (your lane) if it can be done safely. As far as liability goes, it might also come down to the exact poisitions where any crash happened to decide who was in the intersection first

In that type of situation unless you have 2 clear lanes open to you, don't proceed. People decide to change from the centre to curb lane 1/2 way thru the intersection all the time. The empty curb lane is suddenly and illegally filled with an unexpected vehicle. Always better to wait a few seconds and be safe.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
In that type of situation unless you have 2 clear lanes open to you, don't proceed. People decide to change from the centre to curb lane 1/2 way thru the intersection all the time. The empty curb lane is suddenly and illegally filled with an unexpected vehicle. Always better to wait a few seconds and be safe.
Thanks.

In the second instance, there were FOUR clear lanes, and the tard still ended up in mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #34
RS Peace Officer

To quote Mr Lahey and Randy....'are you a s**t magnet ..or what? "
Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #35
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
To quote Mr Lahey and Randy....'are you a s**t magnet ..or what? "
"a shit leopard won't change his shit spots"
"a shit-corn doesn't fall far from the shit-tree"

such a classy show

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #36
RS Peace Officer

Fore some reason it immediately sprang to mind when thinking about Soundy.....runnin fer cover real fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Fore some reason it immediately sprang to mind when thinking about Soundy.....runnin fer cover real fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
at least it's not randy dressing up in jeans & a cowboy hat whoring himself out for cheeseburgers

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
RS Peace Officer

BTW...did you know that Lucy joined Cdn Forces? My kid taught her basic at St Jean a couple of years back.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #39

cool...i'm impressed at JRoc's career...Street Cents...TPB...and now Jerry Dee...couldn't believe it was him as JRoc

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #40
RS Peace Officer

"Cyrus" owns a couple of dress shops in Moncton NB in real life. Really...don't think the Vette is his own though .