REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Bipolar Disorder

Hey guys, I was diagnosed with depression in 2006, and then type 1 bipolar disorder (with full on manic episodes) in December 2011. I've spent about 5 weeks in hospital over the last few months dealing with my bipolar, and had lots of ups and downs along the way. I've pretty much got things under control now, which feels really good.

I created this thread as place for people to share their experiences with bipolar, whether they have it themselves or know someone who has it. Or just for people to ask questions about it. Feel free to ask me anything, I will be totally open and honest about my experiences.

Since I've gone through a lot of crap with it, to make it worth while I figure the best thing I can do is try and help others, however I'm able to. I think this is one way, so even if I can just help one person I'll feel this has been worthwhile.

denham is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I've written in an journal for the last 5 years or so. I find that I have really bad days, weeks, months certain times of the year, and it repeats every year. Like around october - december I'll be in a really happy mood every day, and february - april I'll be down a lot, and pissed off easily. I looked up S.A.D. but for me it's not like I'm happy in winter and fall and sad in summer and spring, for me it's like specific months, and specific weeks of those months. Is this bipolar?
chickenugget69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenugget69 View Post
I've written in an journal for the last 5 years or so. I find that I have really bad days, weeks, months certain times of the year, and it repeats every year. Like around october - december I'll be in a really happy mood every day, and february - april I'll be down a lot, and pissed off easily. I looked up S.A.D. but for me it's not like I'm happy in winter and fall and sad in summer and spring, for me it's like specific months, and specific weeks of those months. Is this bipolar?
Best bet would be to speak to a doctor rather then some random peope on the internet give you google advice. It's honestly the best thing to do to make yourself feel better and to try to figure out whats going on.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Is there a way to decipher between people who are bipolar and just moody? Sometimes I really wonder.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
In RS I Trust

From my understanding it's a very thin line. My cousin (hes in his mid 40's) has it and he stayed with us when I was a kid and my parents always wondered what was up because it was a secret. When we found out the way he acted really made sence but to answer your question it's very hard to tell sometimes thats why if you do feel like somethings up you are not doing yourself any good by brushing it off.

Last edited by murd0c; 08-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Let's just say that "my friend" has this girlfriend who can be very nice and sweet at times and very sour and maybe violent at other times. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's because she is moody/easily agitated or PMSing or perhaps a mild bipolar disorder.

Also, (no offence intended to anyone) is it easier to detect bipolar disorder in a man in comparison to a woman?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

being sour could mean that shes a bitch but certain people go from being extremely nice to fucken crazy and being violent could be a sign but it's so hard to tell especially if it's not someone you see all the time.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Let's just say that "my friend" has this girlfriend who can be very nice and sweet at times and very sour and maybe violent at other times. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's because she is moody/easily agitated or PMSing or perhaps a mild bipolar disorder.

Also, (no offence intended to anyone) is it easier to detect bipolar disorder in a man in comparison to a woman?
Your friend's girlfriend is more like having borderline personality disorder rather than bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is a fluctuation between depression and manic episodes whereas borderline personality is a fluctuation between extreme personalities that impairs interpersonal relationships and stuff.

General rule of thumb to consider an individual having a psychological disorder:

1) social life impairments
2) impairments and abnormal behaviours are maintained 6 months or longer
3) the behaviours and actions are abnormal/deviant

There are many differences detecting any disorder between woman and men. One difference is that men tends to hide their feelings/emotions whereas woman like to express their emotions therefore detecting any disorder is easier in women than men. This does not necessary the prevalence of a disorder is dissimilar. Best bet is to see a psychologist because doctors tend to over-simplified psychological disorders.
poopyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: