REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ID Question

1. When do you have to legally present your ID to an officer? Say I was just walking down the street and minding my own business....

2. Can someone explain what's going on in this video to me....
Advertisement
Fuhrėr-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"Soverign citizens" are a bunch of Cop hating, violent nut jobs who go out of their way to confront and bait Police to respond. They then vent about how the Cops hassled them for no reason. Do a bit of a google search. I'm not going to even bother watching the video.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"Soverign citizens" are a bunch of Cop hating, violent nut jobs who go out of their way to confront and bait Police to respond. They then vent about how the Cops hassled them for no reason. Do a bit of a google search. I'm not going to even bother watching the video.
"I'm not going to even bother watching the video" That is just being ignorant. The people in this video weren't "violent nut jobs". Now I don't know all the laws but if they are lawfully doing their own business as they say so then why the arrest? because the cops in the video themselves don't know their own laws?

If the description is true, it says they were dropped on all charges.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
So under section 176 of the CCC, a clergyman does not have to follow the MVA?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

^ Yeah, I don't get it either.... I still don't understand what's happening in the video... Sovereign citizens= clergymen? The guy in the video makes it out to be a bigger deal than being first nations...(in terms of freedom and exclusivity)
Fuhrėr-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Under the MVA, everyone who is detained by a police officer for an MVA or MVAR offence, MUST present their driver's licence, and registration to a police officer. If the driver does not, the police officer can give him a Violation ticket for failure to produce a driver's licence.. Section 33(1)Fail to produce driver’s licence or insurance $81 fine.

section 70(1)(b) of the MVA also states

Use of another's licence or permit; failure to permit inspection

70 (1) A person commits an offence if the person, while driving, operating or in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway does any of the following:

(a) uses or is in possession of

(i) a permit, certificate, motor vehicle liability insurance card, financial responsibility card or consent issued or given under this Act and belonging to another person, or

(ii) a fictitious or invalid permit, certificate, motor vehicle liability insurance card, financial responsibility card or consent purporting to be issued or given under this Act;

(b) refuses or fails to produce a subsisting driver's licence, permit, certificate, motor vehicle liability insurance card, financial responsibility card, or consent issued to him or her under this Act when requested by a peace officer or constable to do so, or refuses or fails to permit it to be taken in hand for the purpose of inspection by the peace officer or constable.

(1.1) A person commits an offence if the person uses or is in possession of

(a) an identification card belonging to another person, or a fictitious or invalid identification card purporting to be issued or given under this Act, or

(b) a driver's licence belonging to another person, or a fictitious or invalid driver's licence purporting to be issued or given under this Act, whether while driving, operating or in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway or not.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) (a) commits an offence and is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $2 000 or to imprisonment for not less than 7 days and not more than 6 months, or to both.

(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1.1) is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $20 000 or to imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or to both.

Section 129 of the Criminal Code of Canada states

Everyone who
a)resists or wilfully obstructs a public officer or peace officer in the execution of his duty or any person lawfully acting in aid of such an officer,

b)omits, without reasonable excuse, to assist a public officer or peace officer in the exectuion of his duty in arresting a person or in preserving the peace, after having reasonable notice that he is required to do so, or

c)resists in wilfully obstructs any person in the lawful execution of a process against lands or goods or in making a lawful distress or seizure

So under the criminal code, if the Police officer is not satisfied that you are either not the person you say you are, or if you refuse to identify yourself, in turn obstructing his ability to do his job, you can be arrested for obstruction.

Last edited by 10-9; 08-06-2012 at 04:00 PM.
10-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol at 2:16
cop tells guy to pull over.. the driver is like, ok as long as you dont do harm.. WTF, this aint the U.S. son..

Why is he being a retard... so he being a man of "god" he doesnt have to follow the law?!?!?!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
"I'm not going to even bother watching the video" That is just being ignorant. The people in this video weren't "violent nut jobs". Now I don't know all the laws but if they are lawfully doing their own business as they say so then why the arrest? because the cops in the video themselves don't know their own laws?

I have had dealings with this group before and they are like I described. They deliberately break the law, confront Police, sometimes violently ( even here on Van Island) attack Police, then post videos of how they were innocent and unjustly dealt with by Cops. I've seen many of their videos and, like stepping in dog crap, I don't have to taste it to know what it is.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...reign-citizens

Last edited by zulutango; 08-07-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
like stepping in dog crap, I don't have to taste it to know what it is.
i'm liking your analogies

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post

This idiot had an attitude right from the get go......no...he wasn't a violent nut job, but he was a nut job. YOU go out and deal with them in your "job" ......get YOUR experience with them..then talk again......
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
waste of my 15 mins of life listning to that crap.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

at work cant watch the video.

but for your first question, no you do not have to provide ID if they request it if you are just minding your own business. The best thing to say is "Are you detaining me or am i free to go" Demand a proper answer, cops give a lot of bullshit gray area answers on purpose. You want to hear them say either, I am detaining you, or you are free to go.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Where I live, pedestrians must provide identification to a peace officer when requested (municipal bylaw).

If your driving, you have to produce your DL and provide it in hand to the officer, as well as state your date of birth, address and full name.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

i dont give cops trouble. they ask for a name, i give them my name. if i make it harder for them, they will come back and make it even harder for me.

i mean alot of people say cops are pigs and all, but every time ive been pulled over, i just dont act like im being a hero and crack a joke every now and then and ive always gotten warnings.

roadblock:
officer : were you headed off too?
me : to my girlfriends house to get "some." * smile*
officer : alrighty then... have you had any drinks?
me: nope. cuz i cant perform if i do
officer : * chuckle* YOU MAY PASS
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Not a mod

Ive only dealt with these guys twice. There main objective is to undermine law enforcement and just be a general annoyance.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Essentially they believe that everyone should just be good and do good on their own without government, because "nobody should have authority over any other, and we all know how to act well and kindly and properly to each other".

And then they raise as much hell as they can whenever anyone tries to make them follow the rules at which point they turn into giant asshole douchebags.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
I don't get it

this guy is a moron who wastes peoples time and should go to jail because thats what he deserves
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I am very impressed at how patient this police officer was in the video.

This video deserves a facepalm.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

lol wow....douchebag.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
I think these people want to test the police officer's knowledge on people's rights and public law.

Apparently and obviously the officer questioning him has no idea on which law or criminal code he is acting on.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if driver's refuse to provide identification, officers are suppose to run the plates on their computer, see what name the car is registered under. And then go ask them their name, which they must provide verbally. If it doesn't match the name on the computer, they will ask who's car this is? etc. etc. What's is owner's name. etc .etc. If all questions are answered wrong, then they have reasons of suspicion to arrest the man for stolen vehicle and so on.

And isn't there somewhere on your registration that says you must provide license in order to operate the vehicle? And by law, every car must be registered.

Last edited by mr_chin; 08-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
what an idiot, wasting everyone's time
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
I think these people want to test the police officer's knowledge on people's rights and public law.

Apparently and obviously the officer questioning him has no idea on which law or criminal code he is acting on.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if driver's refuse to provide identification, officers are suppose to run the plates on their computer, see what name the car is registered under. And then go ask them their name, which they must provide verbally. If it doesn't match the name on the computer, they will ask who's car this is? etc. etc. What's is owner's name. etc .etc. If all questions are answered wrong, then they have reasons of suspicion to arrest the man for stolen vehicle and so on.

And isn't there somewhere on your registration that says you must provide license in order to operate the vehicle? And by law, every car must be registered.

If a court process is being initiated then the driver is required to identify himself so thart the process can be completed. Without that, you are obstructing under the criminal code. The MV Act requires the driver to produce the DL, hand it to Police and answer questions about the information on the DL. Police are NOT required to check the computer if the driver refuses to comply. The driver also has to produce the registration when requested under the same processes. Any vehicle on a "highway" must be licenced and insured and plates displayed on it. What happens from the identification of the driver depends on what is found....same from the registration.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
So under section 176 of the CCC, a clergyman does not have to follow the MVA?
OK, I was confused, so I went reading.

Quote:
176. (1) Every one who
(a) by threats or force, unlawfully obstructs or prevents or endeavours to obstruct or prevent a clergyman or minister from celebrating divine service or performing any other function in connection with his calling, or
(b) knowing that a clergyman or minister is about to perform, is on his way to perform or is returning from the performance of any of the duties or functions mentioned in paragraph (a)
(i) assaults or offers any violence to him, or
(ii) arrests him on a civil process, or under the pretence of executing a civil process,
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.
Marginal noteisturbing religious worship or certain meetings

(2) Every one who wilfully disturbs or interrupts an assemblage of persons met for religious worship or for a moral, social or benevolent purpose is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Marginal note:Idem

(3) Every one who, at or near a meeting referred to in subsection (2), wilfully does anything that disturbs the order or solemnity of the meeting is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
So this douche is arguing that he doesn't care about the MVA, setting up a straw man argument that the police officer is impeding his ability to perform service as a clergyman.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I love how these goofs claim that the laws dont apply to them, and then they try and use Sec 176 to make their point. It's amazing any one of them think that it will work and the police will just let them go on their way. Go back to montana....
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote